• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The best steakhouse in Houston?

Motochef

Is Churrascos a steakhouse? If so I would vote it my favorite. I haven't been in 2 years but I do enjoy eating there when possible.

As for real steakhouses I really can't comment. I haven't been to a steakhouse in quite sometime. Personally I would rather gete some meat from Harrel ranch or the meat shop in Austin and cook up my own.

I used to really like Morton's when they first got to town. Pappas was good from what I remember but not great and the palm isn't very good at all imo.

Is Churrascos a steakhouse?

While I would not consider Churrascos a stakhouse, I definately would consider it to be a great meat

house (though sometimes it is difficult to convey to the Gaucho that you want rare meat)! Lots of fire roasted meat (lamb, beef, pork, chicken, sausage)...if you go away hungry, you either don't eat meat or are an idiot! Even a non-meat eater could fill-up at the salad bar which is the size of a football field (though this would be an expensive salad).

I had dinner at Chrrascos two weeks ago. Service and food were both good. However, the wine list and the bar selections are lacking. Only one liter of potato vodka (Monopolowa), and I was told when that bottle was empty, it would not be replaced. The bourbon selection was weak as well. Wines were average and expensive.

Motochef! Enjoying fine food while motorcycle touring.

Motoblog! Motochef's Notes, Comments and Points of Interest

Motochef!

Is Churrascos a steakhouse?

While I would not consider Churrascos a stakhouse, I definately would consider it to be a great meat

house (though sometimes it is difficult to convey to the Gaucho that you want rare meat)! Lots of fire roasted meat (lamb, beef, pork, chicken, sausage)...if you go away hungry, you either don't eat meat or are an idiot! Even a non-meat eater could fill-up at the salad bar which is the size of a football field (though this would be an expensive salad).

I had dinner at Chrrascos two weeks ago. Service and food were both good. However, the wine list and the bar selections are lacking. Only one liter of potato vodka (Monopolowa), and I was told when that bottle was empty, it would not be replaced. The bourbon selection was weak as well. Wines were average and expensive.

I think jscarbor means the restaurant "Churrascos", the south American place owned by the same folks as "Americas". From your comments I think you understood the Churrascarias(sp?) such as "Fogo De Chao" or "Rodizio", the Brazilian grills. Am I correct?

As for my choice for a Houston Steak house I would have to say "Houston's", for consistent great food and service for a reasonable price. I usually always order their off the menu porterhouse or ribeye. My wife loves the ribs there.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Pappas gets my nod. Ask if they have the bone-in ribeye, which I don't think is on the menu. If you get away from the trophy section of the wine list (California cabs and older Bordeaux) there are some great selections. Good, strong drinks.

I think jscarbor means the restaurant "Churrascos", the south American place owned by the same folks as "Americas". From your comments I think you understood the Churrascarias(sp?) such as "Fogo De Chao" or "Rodizio", the Brazilian grills. Am I correct?

As for my choice for a Houston Steak house I would have to say "Houston's", for consistent great food and service for a reasonable price. I usually always order their off the menu porterhouse or ribeye. My wife loves the ribs there.

Elie

Motochef!

Elie

I had a complete brain fart.

:laugh:

You are completely correct. I was describing Fogo. I haven't been to a Churrascos in several years. In fact, the Clear Lake location has been closed for some time now, and it has been at least eight years since I have been to one of the locations in town. Are they still open?

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I have never had a bad meal at Houston's, and it does say something about our economy when they closed the Wilcrest location...but, steakhouses is the thread, so even though I have not eaten at all the different venues in Houston, and there are many, I would have to say Morton's is my favorite "classic" steakhouse. I like Pappas, and all they do to make it right, and I am fond of Ruth's Chris for what they do, but in a pinch the call goes to Morton's.

That being said, I have not tried Vic & Anthony's, Sullivan's, or Fleming's. And there are some more that I have not mentioned. I consider Outback, while good,

and my kids love the cheese fries, a formula steakhouse, just like Salt Grass and the ubiquitious Steak & Ale. They are not classic steakhouses in my opinion, like Don Shula's in Miami, which was great, Spark's in NY, which was also enjoyable, and the old venerable St. Elmo's in Indianapolis. So...again I say all that to say: Classic Steakhouse. Great topic for a thread.

Venado

I am a fan of Pappas Bros. They serve consistently good dry aged prime beef (not great, but good) and the ambiance works for me. It is the typical dark wood/leather interior you expect, but with retro elements that is fun.

Gotta love having drinks at the bar when the hostess comes around carrying your name written on a small plaque announcing your table is ready.

Edited by NewYorkTexan (log)

I'll have to swing into one of these places when I'm down there in a few weeks.

FoodMan, I have to second your thoughts on Churrascos. I always thought it was a nice place and a good value. Great Tres Leches!

--

Churrascos is definitely a steakhouse in my book. You order off a menu, unlike at Fogo de Chao, where it's almost like an all-you-can-eat meat buffet.

Churrascos would be my choice for best in Houston.

Lynn's Steakhouse is pretty good too.

I have to admit, we do have several good choices, but none compare to Sparks, my absolute favorite.

Regarding the "classic" steakhouse, there seems to be some concensus about Pappas, but I have not been recently enough to remember the wine list.

No one has mentioned the Palm. I remember from my last visit a noisy and crowded atmosphere. It was very difficult to hold a meaningful conversation. The price was sky high.

I like the few Houstons I have been in, but would not think of them in the "classic" style steakhouse.

Hmmm. Maybe we have identified a market need. :huh:

Motochef!

Sparks is located in 210 East 46th St., New York City. Pull it up on Google. Lots of interesting stuff about the place. Even has scenes from a movie shot in the place. :wink:

Silly me, I thought it was in Houston. Maybe I'll check it out when I do head up there.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog