• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

most incongruous background music in a restaurant

mongo_jones

2 hours ago, Spork said:

From my travels in China, Country Roads. Restaurants, hotel lobbies, elevators, etc, it’s played everywhere. 

Yeah. Apparently when Kissinger visited Mao to set up the Nixon-Mao meeting, he presented the Chairman with a John Denver cassette as a gift from the then President and so, Denver became the only approved western singer.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 8/8/2018 at 8:44 PM, liuzhou said:

Yeah. Apparently when Kissinger visited Mao to set up the Nixon-Mao meeting, he presented the Chairman with a John Denver cassette as a gift from the then President and so, Denver became the only approved western singer.

I looked, and couldn’t find a better thread, other than insects in China. Lol

I had begged, for years, for street food in China. I got it in 2015. I’ve got the pics, I’d just have to dig..

It was a quickly scheduled trip, one week notice.  I insisted, obviously knowing the timing, that there better be one helluva birthday party for me in Beijing on the return down days. 

I was not disappointed. 

After a full day on the streets snacking, one final stop for Rock and Roll and more beer. Lol. Unbeknownst to me, one of my cohorts petitioned the band for Country Roads. Everybody in the place knew the words. I had several fruit, cheese, and meat dishes gifted during that song. I arrived in WV two days later with that same smile on my face. 

That was was the fourth time I heard it that day, and the most memorable time I’ve ever heard it. 

Edited by Spork (log)
  • Like 2