• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ginger Altoids

sherribabee

I just sent an email to my brother (who works for Nabisco) indicating that a few hundred tins of these puppies would make a nice Christmas gift. :rolleyes:

I'm hopeful. When I was in college and told him I liked Easy Cheese (in the squirty cans) he hooked me up with an entire case. I was the most popular girl in the dorm when word got out that I had such a supply of the stuff.

When I first graduated I had friends working for Nestle and Frito Lay. I ate more half melted $100,000 Bars and Sun Chips than I knew what to do with.

Bill Russell

I found them by mistake this morning at 7-11 on the way to work and bought them after having read this thread yesterday.

Spice-o-rama!

Much more than 'curiously' strong, I think.

3 calories...and all that power.

But I can't say it's that much of a pleasure to have in my mouth. They burn, but don't freshen the way the cinn or spear do.

I swear I'm not that whimpy.

Also, what is gum Arabic, one the ingredients?

I like the ginger altoids, but the best thing about finding them (for me) was learning that the botanical name for ginger is "Zingiber officinale." I thought it was a zingy altoid joke at first, but that's really the name of the plant. Very cool.

amanda

Googlista

I like the ginger altoids, but the best thing about finding them (for me) was learning that the botanical name for ginger is "Zingiber officinale." I thought it was a zingy altoid joke at first, but that's really the name of the plant. Very cool.

Yeah. I like that too. I might name my next Jack Russell Terrier 'Zingiber', but call it 'Zing...

• 2 months later...

I tried the Ginger Altoids, and please don't laugh, tthey made me sneeze. Repeatedly. Forcefully. Which might have been doable, except I was in ICU. Set my telemetry off. Nurses kept coming in to see what's up.

My Costco has started a very tricky little thing lately. After you have walked through glomming all the samples,the last sample on your way to checkout is a table with Altoids! And a big stack of Altoids multipacks...

I wish they would make pepsin or clove flavors.

Anyone tried these yet? They're absolutely delicious. I've eaten an entire tin in just 3 days. :blush:

johnnybird loves these

just got him 20 tins at our local cvs on sale for 1.00 per tin

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

FYI, if anyone's on NYC's UWS, on Saturday night I stopped into the little market on the west side of Broadway between 103rd-104th streets (the one that is SOUTH of Jerusalem cafe, not the one on the corner. The slightly bigger one), and they had Ginger altoids.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

......please don't laugh, tthey made me sneeze. Repeatedly. Forcefully.

The peppermint ones make my husband sneeze, too. I'm completely addicted to the ginger ones. :wub:

peppermint ones make me sneeze too. As do white Tic-Tacs. Yet, other 'stronger' mints don't affect me.

I am getting my Master's in Oriental Medicine, and according to the Chinese herbal paradigm, ginger is very warming and tonifying to the "Middle Warmer" ie stomach; great for nausea, vomiting, cold conditions etc. Half of us have bottomless thermoses of ginger tea, others munch on Ting Ting Jahe during class... someone brought in a tin of these Altoids ginger candies and left them on the communal food table in the lounge for fellow students to sample, and they gave us all terrible indigestion :sad: ! There were a dozen or so of us with either flatulence or intestinal pain and cramping within five minutes of crunching down one of those suckers, and ginger is supposed to have the opposite effect! Those candies have been on the table for a couple weeks now because everyone is afraid to touch them; perhaps we got a bad batch, but could such a thing even be possible?? Anyone else get a tummy ache?

ooh, I must try these! We're moving near a TJ's next week.

The Ginger People chews are awesome. I bought some chews from the asian market and they were cheaper, but not very gingery, more sweet than anything.

Ginger altoids aren't in my local CVS yet, but I'll be on the lookout.

I'm addicted to the Ginger People chews. My kids occasionally get them for me as a treat if they're near a store that carries them, and I try to "ration" them but to no avail. Completely awesome while drinking tea. Speaking of which, for settling a stomach or reducing intestinal gas, try ginger tea: heat ginger ale until boiling and add a tea bag. This was given to me by a wonderful nurse following abdominal surgery and it really helped.