• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ginger Altoids

sherribabee

i've yet to see these elusive confections.

after having heard of them and keeping an eye out for the last 6 months.

I spotted them at World Market when I was in Ohio during Thanksgiving. If I don't see them here in NYC, I'm having mom ship me a box.

Sherri A. Jackson

Yes. Between the Ginger Altoids and the Tangerine Sours (SOUR! :blink: ), I've found my stocking stuffers for the nieces and nephews this year...that is, if I don't eat them all myself.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Finally picked up a pack at my TJ's and have to say I don't get it at all. I eat a lot of ginger candy and found this one has too much spice and not enough ginger. Ouch!

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I just sent an email to my brother (who works for Nabisco) indicating that a few hundred tins of these puppies would make a nice Christmas gift. :rolleyes:

I'm hopeful. When I was in college and told him I liked Easy Cheese (in the squirty cans) he hooked me up with an entire case. I was the most popular girl in the dorm when word got out that I had such a supply of the stuff.

Sherri A. Jackson

Yes. Between the Ginger Altoids and the Tangerine Sours (SOUR! :blink: ), I've found my stocking stuffers for the nieces and nephews this year...that is, if I don't eat them all myself.

K

The Tangerine Sours rock :wub:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

K

K, where did you find them? In the city?

Sherri A. Jackson

Yeah--if you can believe it, it was at the little bitty store on the NW corner of 104th and Broadway!

I also saw the ginger altoids at the Duane Reade a couple of blocks down from there.

K

Yeah--if you can believe it, it was at the little bitty store on the NW corner of 104th and Broadway!

I also saw the ginger altoids at the Duane Reade a couple of blocks down from there.

K

Hmmm. I'm gonna be all over the Duane Reade when I get outta work.

Sherri A. Jackson

The tangerine sours are incredible :wub: Didn't think too much of the ginger Altoids one way or the other.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

The ginger ones can sometimes head off a headache for me - kind of like the power of cayenne, but easier to take? Had 4 today already. Chaser for the chinese bbq pork lunch.

You are sure it's not the sugar doing it?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Not sure - interesting theory. I was thinking the hotness of the ginger spice opened up some blood flow (or constricted it?) so as to change my reaction - what's the sugar do? Oh, sugar level/fatigue inflation? Don't think other forms of sugar have worked for me - but I usually tend towards avoiding food when a headache comes on - undiagnosed migraines, don't you know. Hot hot baths work too.

The ginger ones can sometimes head off a headache for me - kind of like the power of cayenne, but easier to take? Had 4 today already. Chaser for the chinese bbq pork lunch.

You are sure it's not the sugar doing it?

I understood "head off" to mean something like derail. As in "had a headache coming on, but headed it off with a few ginger Altoids".

I've been hearing tell of these babies for nigh on a year now, still haven't seen them. When I need a ginger candy fix, I head straight for the Ting Ting Jahe. I can finish off a bag of those pups inthe blink of an eye.

Sherri...any luck?

K

I absolutely love them--they have far surpassed Cinnamon for me. I like non-mint flavors so I can freshen my breath without ruining my next cigarette. I only saw them in TJ's once and lived sadly without them for months until finding them--where else?--at Han Ah Reum, our beloved Korean supermarket. Apparently (according to Mr. Babyluck) they are available at every market/convenience store near where we work, where there is a significant Asian population, but I haven't seen hide nor hair of them near where we live. Interesting...

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

I really dislike the Altoids ginger flavor - it's not quite to the level of hating them, but close.

If you want ginger candy, find an Asian market and get Ting Ting Jahe -yum! Try to get fresh ones though; when they're fresh they're nicely chewy, but tend to get harder as they age.

BTW, I've never thought of the taste of fresh ginger as 'hot'. Habaneros are hot; ginger is just ginger.