• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You know you are in a bad restaurant when....

Carlovski

you sidle up to the bar before dinner and there is wine-in-a-box on tap and beer in cans....

(this really happened)

(Got reminded of this while posting on "poor folk wine" thread)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

This is true.  Plus, you can get awful sick of eating the same food day after day.

yep, the restaurant where i work has a rather generous and tasty staff meal twice a day, but sometimes a bagel or sandwich from the shop next door just hits the spot a little better.

Any place open 24/7.

My favorite diner in the world is open 24/7

Congratulation on being in the minority in this case. Sure there are some exceptions and I am happy you found one. Unfortunately I don’t see the green and gold joint, the blue and white joint or several other chains being in that group.

Living hard will take its toll...

Mudpuppy, you missed out on a real treat. That was probably Ted Drewes Frozen Custard.

A "concrete" is a shake that is so thick they hand it to you upside down with the spoon stuck in it.

Ohhhhh. I thought the Ozark folks just didn't know how to spell "compote." :wink:

I've always known the "concrete" thing as a Blizzard, having grown up in DQ country.

amanda

Googlista

Mudpuppy, you missed out on a real treat.  That was probably Ted Drewes Frozen Custard.

A "concrete" is a shake that is so thick they hand it to you upside down with the spoon stuck in it.

Ohhhhh. I thought the Ozark folks just didn't know how to spell "compote." :wink:

I've always known the "concrete" thing as a Blizzard, having grown up in DQ country.

Ted Drewes predates the Blizzard by about 40 years. It's good and decadent.

Bill Russell

Any place where the waitstaff sits down in your booth while taking your order.

Any place (this may be a given) that smells like urine, inside or out.

Any place with "Olde" or "Shoppe" in the name. Or, for that matter, "Ye."

Personally, I also avoid places that are adjacent to dry cleaners. Or near crematoriums.

I also avoid places that keep their fly strips or bug zappers in public view.

I never eat at places that employ "sandwich artists."

Automatically on the list: any restaurant adjacent to or within walking distance from Wal-Mart. Hell, let's make that within sight of Wal-mart.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Best list yet!