• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite espresso blend for milk based drinks?

phaelon56

Recognizing that many of us have a preference for milk based espresso drinks.... I'm curious to know what some of you find to be hte most suitable - something that is robust enough to cut through the milk but still retains the appropriate undertones (chocolatey, fruity etc.). I've had some espresso blends (e.g. Sweet Maria's Monkey Blend) that really shine as straight espresso but fall short when used in a latte or cappa. Anything goes - can be your fsavorite comemrcial blend or just list what beans and ratios you use when home blending.

I would guess that a "sharper" blend and a darker roast work best when the goal is a milk-based drink. This is especially true when you want the coffee flavor to come out in a drink that is mostly milk (i.e., a "latte"). In Italy, latte macchiato is only barely coffee flavored, and it seems less important for the coffee to "cut" through the milk.

Personally, I always tailor my blend and roast at home for espresso, and I am happy with the results when I do milk drinks. I use Sweet Maria's Monkey Blend with around 8% each of their Indian Monsooned Malabar AA and Uganda Robusta "Nanga Farms" added.

--