• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

squash controversy

mongo_jones

my wife has returned from the grocery store with spaghetti squash. what she was supposed to get was either butternut squash or kabocha. i have never cooked spaghetti squash and from what i can see about it online it doesn't sound like it can be cooked like kaddu. any suggestions?

so i gather. at what point in the cooking process does this happen--i am assuming i can't just peel, halve and tear out strands. do i have to cook it whole for a while first? i'm guessing i'll end up with a twice-cooked dish: first cook the squash, tear it into strands and quickly saute it with onions, mustard seeds and spices. what does it taste like though? is it sweet like butternut? is it completely bland? nutty?

thanks in advance.

so i gather. at what point in the cooking process does this happen--i am assuming i can't just peel, halve and tear out strands. do i have to cook it whole for a while first? i'm guessing i'll end up with a twice-cooked dish: first cook the squash, tear it into strands and quickly saute it with onions, mustard seeds and spices. what does it taste like though? is it sweet like butternut? is it completely bland? nutty?

thanks in advance.

what does it taste like though? is it sweet like butternut? is it completely bland? nutty?

pretty much bland,(like it's namesake) which is why it is usually served with a flavorful sauce...The unsauced flavor is sorta like a zuccini, but milder...