• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking Ban in DC

John W.

I am a smoker and while I enjoy smoking a zillion cigarettes every night in various bars and restaurants in Washington D.C., it wouldn't bother me too much if a full ban on smoking were enacted. I would only hope that the various establishments that attract smokers might have the insight to provide an adequate number of ashtrays around entrances. Otherwise, a smoking ban might cause quite a litter problem.

Of course if the smoking ban is an issue to any of you, just take your business next door to Virginia, which is a tobacco state that will likely never ban smoking. I think that you can smoke in public schools there, even.

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

I am originally from Toledo, OH where there is a complete smoking ban in all public facilities including bars, restaurants, and bowling alleys. This ban was enacted early last year and since then there has been a documented exodus of customers to the bars outside of Toledo, especially to South East Michigan. Many small watering holes have closed down and still many others are having financial difficulty.

MInd you, Toledo is a completely blue collar town with lots of smokers. I am not saying that the same thing would happen here, however I am saying that the smokers are going to smoke and drink someplace, and here that place may be VA.

I too favor a ban (even though I am a social smoker) simply for the reason that it harms workers to are continually exposed to smoke day in and day out.

Jennifer

I wonder how a blanket smoking ban would impact establishements that cater to cigar smokers such as Shelly's Back Room?

Perhaps they would have to shift their focus to smokeless tobacco. Unless there is a ban on smokeless tobacco in bars and restaurants.

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

That would sort of dry up the market for Shelly's private humidors. Also, I guess they would have to stock up on styrofoam cups and empty soda cans, or buy a bunch of spitoons.

I have also seen Snapple bottles used for this purpose.

If there were an emoticon for "gross" or "yuck" I would insert it <here>

All of the studies I have seen on the effect in Montgomery County are too politically loaded to trust.

However, I do notice now that when I go out in DC to a smoky bar I want to leave much more quickly.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

On the front page,

It would appear that anything pertaining to DC government revenue needs to be decided by elected officials. I think it said that DC restaurants paid something like 180 million clams in taxes.

Oh, and while you're there, vote for best new restaurant. Everyone knows who to vote for, right?

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Oh, and while you're there, vote for best new restaurant. Everyone knows who to vote for, right?

Not Entirely Certain That All Remember

:blink:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

... Of course if the smoking ban is an issue to any of you, just take your business next door to Virginia, which is a tobacco state that will likely never ban smoking. I think that you can smoke in public schools there, even.

Virginia is not quite as smoky as you might think - Here 90 miles to the south in Richmond, home of Philip Morris and countless BILLIONS ot tobacco dollars in the local economy, we're on our way to a totally smoke-free public environment. It hasn't happened yet, but a suprising number of restaurants have gone smoke-free voluntarily (Barbeque Pits not withstanding). But then again, the tobacco LOBBY lives in greated DC, so your results may differ.

- Tom

Tom Tyson

Not such a bad thing. Smokers, we aren't that weak are we? Who's quitting with me?

im smoking right now. its eggtraordinarily delicious.

oh wait, wrong topic.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

• 1 year later...

DC City Council Passes Smoking Ban.

No coincidence that the gutless wimps won't put it into effect until after the next election. But, since DC is otherwise perfect....

Oh, did I mention that someone was murderd on the sidewalk three doors down from my house, minutes after my dinner guests had walked by on their way home?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Considering that all but 1 member of the city council voted for the legislation, I don't think the mayor's opinion is going to make a huge impact...though people do change their minds, and at least 2 members of the city council clearly had major reservations.

W. Post Mayor Anthony A. Williams (D) said yesterday he is undecided whether he would sign the legislation. The measure, however, passed with a veto-proof majority yesterday.
It would include exemptions for outdoor areas, cigar bars, hotel rooms, retail tobacco outlets and facilities that research the effects of smoking.

I wonder what it takes for a place to rezoned as a cigar bar.

I'm on the pavement

What are the cigar bars anyway? The only one I can think of is Ozio, where I think I spent the most singularly unpleasant bar evening of my life. (I really dislike cigar smoke, I should have just taken a raincheck, but I really wanted to see the people who were going there...)

How do smokers feel about dining al fresco? It seems like they may come to dominate the patios of some restaurants in warmer months. (I can see the haze over 17th Street NW already...) Do restaurants with outdoor seating always permit smoking? I haven't really paid attention to that question, since I generally prefer dining indoors.

What are the cigar bars anyway? The only one I can think of is Ozio, where I think I spent the most singularly unpleasant bar evening of my life. (I really dislike cigar smoke, I should have just taken a raincheck, but I really wanted to see the people who were going there...)

How do smokers feel about dining al fresco? It seems like they may come to dominate the patios of some restaurants in warmer months. (I can see the haze over 17th Street NW already...) Do restaurants with outdoor seating always permit smoking? I haven't really paid attention to that question, since I generally prefer dining indoors.

The bar at the Hyatt (I think) by the old convention center (I think) was a cigar bar. Huge ashtrays all over and I recall they had bowls of salty olives instead of peanuts. Most steakhouses will likely try to get 'cigar bar' status. There was also a place not far from Metro Center that had private humidors for rent. There was an outpost of this place some years back in Rockeville that was taken over by 'That's Amore' and may have changed again since. I can't remember the name, but it had an outdoorsy / lodge type look to it.

I realize my hypocrisy is boundless, but while I find cigarette smoke to be grim death, I don't mind cigar smoke and once in a while have one myself. I do find cheap cigar smoke (like from a 7-11 cigar) almost as bad as cigarette smoke, but that's just me and may not be the same with you. I also find most all pipe smoke ghastly, but in a nauseating way and not a emphasema way. All that said, I'd just as soon go to a No-Smoking place than one that allowed only cigars.

And I agree about Ozio. Bad service, foul atmosphere and replete with poseurs and popinjays.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

I'm a lightweight smoker -- one or two at the end of a good meal or long night -- but I'm always happier to eat outside than in. I hope some vindictive butt-smoking restaurant owner decides to turn his patio into a smoking section so I'll never have to wait for a seat outside. Sette would be fine.

On the cigar bars, I believe that the establishment has to earn a certain percentage of its income from tobacco sales.

I'm on the pavement

Do restaurants with outdoor seating always permit smoking? I haven't really paid attention to that question, since I generally prefer dining indoors.

There are locales that have prohibited smoking even on patios; but most places I've been, that's up to the owner. And, while smoking is permitted on many patios, I know lots and lots of restaurants that are completely smoke-free -- including the patio, so if the rest of us want to enjoy dining al fresco, we don't have to inhale other people's smoke. As many of us can attest, dining outside is no guarantee that smoke won't be exceedingly unpleasant. In fact, sitting immediately downwind from a table of smokers often seems to be worse than sitting next to them in a well-ventilated room.

Don't know why. And maybe it's just a false impression on my part.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

In fact, sitting immediately downwind from a table of smokers often seems to be worse than sitting next to them in a well-ventilated room.

Don't know why. And maybe it's just a false impression on my part.

Unfortunately, all too true. Unless there is a very good ventilation system, you can't be guaranteed a smoke-free, or even reduced smoke environment.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06