• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flexipan vs. Gastroflex

Skwerl

Hi guys. I'm sure some of you have used both Gastroflex and the DeMarle Flexipans so I thought I'd ask if anyone has found a noticeable difference in performance and quality since the Flexipans are about twice the price of the Gastroflex ones (Four times the price, actually, but they are twice as big). Also, I've had problems with some of the large shapes flattening on the bottom when I bake or freeze heavier mixtures in them. Has anyone finnagled some sort of hanging rack or something to combat this?

Thanks,

Josh Usovsky

Josh Usovsky

"Will Work For Sugar"

I recently bought some Silicon Flex brand molds (the rust red/orange ones) and have been quite happy with them. We've used the black Flexpans at school for everything (they own every shape and size available - even some that aren't on the market yet) and I really like their durability and the way they perform in the oven. I bought the Silicon Flex molds because they are WAY cheaper than Flexpan (about $10 for a quarter sheet) and they have much sharper and cleaner shapes. Plus for some of the shapes, like the smallest demisphere, they are set closer together, so you can get a lot more product on a sheet pan.

I got the Silicon Flex pans at Design & Réalisation in Canada. They also have the best prices I've seen on polycarbonate molds for chocolate, and they can custom make almost any metal ring mold you could want with no set-up charges.

Yes, they're about twice the size. I've only used the Gastroflex ones and I've found that only fairly light mixtures work well in the larger molds. Very dense mixtures flatten the bottoms of the large Gastoflex molds, so I am wondering if the Demarles are constructed with a thicker or stiffer silicone or if there is another reason why they are about twice* as much as the Gastros.

Josh Usovsky

*If you take size into consideration, otherwise, the sheets are four times the price

Josh Usovsky

"Will Work For Sugar"

The Silicone Flex molds look just like my Gastroflex molds. That's a very good price on those. I just bought a handful more from Kerekes a few days ago. I'll have to order more from Canada now! Man, do I ever love those things...

Josh Usovsky

Josh Usovsky

"Will Work For Sugar"

Josh--to get your answer you have to look at the "price per cavity" and that's going to be different for every shape, size and brand. And as you've noticed, it also depends on what you plan to do with the mold--i.e. bake with it, mold and freeze off soft creams, etc. I use Gastroflex for some things and flexipans for others, and as Neil mentioned, the Gastroflex tends to have cleaner, more precise edges--though sometimes the rounder edges of the flexi allow you to pop things out better--and that's due to the different manufacturing process and material used in each type. I also think it depends on your volume--buying more shapes and sizes of the orange silicone quarter sheets (as opposed to flexipan half and full sheets) gives you a lot more variety and options for the price, especially if you plan to use them for petits fours and mini-pastries.

Flexipans are $79.70 (USD) for the full sheet at JB Prince and the orange (Gastroflex or silicon flex) quarter sheets are $12--multiply that times 4 and you might save money as long as the cavities and performance are equal.

Some things still bake better in metal and you might find the size you want only in one style--flexi, silicone or metal. For one restaurant I ended up buying oval metal barquette molds because 1) the cake didn't bake off quite right in silicone no matter how I experimented with it and 2) value and efficiency-wise the flexipan sheets didn't have enough cavities per sheet for the price.

I'd be interested in hearing reports of Americans buying things from Canada--in terms of billing, service, shipping, etc. Can you get someone on the phone, what's their inventory on hand, will they ship same day for next day or 2 day delivery, are there added fees, customs hangups, etc.

(Flexipans have fiberglass threads running throughout, the orange ones don't; flexipans came on the scene first and in a big way, the others are playing catch-up--might help explain some of the price differential. And in general flexipans deform or deflate sooner/easier than the Gastroflex--which appears stronger to me.)

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

I'd be interested in hearing reports of Americans buying things from Canada--in terms of billing, service, shipping, etc. Can you get someone on the phone, what's their inventory on hand, will they ship same day for next day or 2 day delivery, are there added fees, customs hangups, etc.

I think they do offer 2 day air delivery, but since it's from outside the US shipping is a lot more expensive. The way DR operates is you place an order and they contact you in a few days to give you the shipping price. At that time you can confirm whether or not you still want it sent for that cost. It took about 5 days to receive it (normal ground shipping) after confrimation with them. My fairly small order cost about $15 for regular mail, and would have been $55 for 3-4 days or $120 next day delivery.

One other thing that looks good about the Silcon Flex large individual molds (like cake rounds) is they come equiped with a stiffener ring to keep the shape rigid. So if you fill them with a very liquid mixture you can pick the mold up and move it without spilling the whole thing. I haven't tried any of the large molds myself, but the priciple seems good. I also can't tell if you can bake with the stiffener ring still attached or if you have to remove it when it goes in the oven.

Another good source for molds in this country are from Kerekes in NYC.

Their website is www.bakedeco.com

Went on it the other day and saw the usual shapes, but then was pleased to see a " wavy" shape, which I had never seen before. They carry the full sheet pan sizes as well as the quarter sheets that are so appealing for creating different shapes of the same petit fours.

Jason

Steve, thanks for the great reply. I appreciate the information. I've ordered from Canada before and had to pay tarriffs to UPS (on top of shipping charges) of about 10% of the total price. That was for $600 in computer cases. I'm not sure whether or not it would be the same for baking supplies or for orders smaller than that. I've never had a problem with delivery speed.

Nightscotsman, I am glad you mentioned the single pans with the stiffeners. That's a wonderful idea. More often than I would like to admit, I have filled mine after forgetting to put it on a sheet first.

Mckayinutah, I agree that Kerekes is a great place to buy the molds. I've ordered from them quite a few times and every order has gone smoothly. I just received my latest order from them this morning which includes a gem-shaped Gastroflex. This is going to be a fun day! Hehe.

Josh Usovsky

Josh Usovsky

"Will Work For Sugar"