• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is Gluttony?

Elissa

Exactly Elissa

It is the time and thought taken away from where the mind should otherwise be(on one's spiritual and moral development) and doesn't only apply to food. Gluttony is really applicable to many modern obsessions.

Lust at the same time as Gluttony=whipped cream in the right places(and a straighter shot to Hell).

For me gluttony was every Sunday night during the summer of 2002. My roommate who was a great chef and graduate of Codon Bleu in Paris used to make sweatbreads. Every Sunday night.

The best were pan fried whole lobes. They were then stuffed with foie gras and finished in the oven. Various vegetable would be served on the side. It was the summer of Red Zin for us so 2 or 3 bottles would be opened and consumed.

Usually since it was Sunday, a great deal of cheese, butter, and bread were consumed as well. Not just any cheese but only the triple creme varieties.

THAT MY FRIEND WAS GLUTTONY !!!

hmm.....gluttony to me is eating not for taste, pleasure or nourishment, but more to make sure no one else gets the food in question.

it's just a shade of greed.

it's eating way past your point of fulfillment.

romans and vomitoriums come to mind.

Also coming to mind is a real well-fed familyhaving one of their foster kids get caught at 4 a.m. in the neighbor's garbage can. :angry:

Being a competitive eater I refer to gluttony as someone who takes all and leaves nothing for others. If you sit down and finish everyone's plate at Thanksgiving your a glutton....if you sit down and finish everyone's try in the school cafeteria then your a glutton.....if you find yourself at the All You Can Eat Buffet until all the food is gone or until the doors close then your a glutton.

I enjoy competitive eating and find myself in a sport. The eating is timed, your competing against others, your not taking from others and it's fun. Check out my web site to see more on competitive eating.

http://www.members.cox.net/carson

Have fun,

Collard Green Hughes

Gluttony, in the Seven Deadly Sins sense, has more to do with a giving over of one's self to the senses (as opposed to giving one's self over to God). It's counterpart in the Holy Virtues is Temperance, referring not only to moderation in drink and eating but also in all temptations of the flesh. Gluttony represents a manifestation of the baser nature of man (flesh); it is a sin because it signifies the failure to aspire to his higher nature (spirit).

Refer your friend to The Faerie Queene. There's no better summation of what the Seven Deadly Sins are than that.

(I knew that English degree would come in handy *some* day!)

Gluttony, in the Seven Deadly Sins sense, has more to do with a giving over of one's self to the senses (as opposed to giving one's self over to God). It's counterpart in the Holy Virtues is Temperance, referring not only to moderation in drink and eating but also in all temptations of the flesh. Gluttony represents a manifestation of the baser nature of man (flesh); it is a sin because it signifies the failure to aspire to his higher nature (spirit).

Refer your friend to The Faerie Queene. There's no better summation of what the Seven Deadly Sins are than that.

(I knew that English degree would come in handy *some* day!)

What an elegant response, Jensen. I concur.

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

• 2 weeks later...

A.J. Liebling:

Mens sana in corpore sano is a contradiction in terms, the fantasy of a Mr. have-your-cake-and-eat-it. No sane man can afford to dispense with debilitating pleasures; no ascetic can be considered reliably sane. Hitler was the archetype of the abstemious man. When the other krauts saw him drink water in the Beer Hall they should have known he was not to be trusted.

on the other hand.