• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN:Chianti Classico Riserva, Volpaia, 1997

primowino

The producers full name is Castello di Volpaia and they are based at Radda in Chianti.

This wine was a reminder of how great 1997 was in Tuscany and is at a perfect age. The tannins have mellowed to a level where they provide a smooth backbone to the wine. Smooth is the word I would associate most with this wine - and in this case that doesn't equate to dull. The cherries are there, but to describe them as bitter is unfair on the wine, I think the bitter taste is more characteristic of younger non-Riserva chiantis. In addition to the mellow tannins, the oak has added a lovely depth to the wine with background vanilla (cherry and vanilla - that sounds like a good idea for a soda pop).

I drank the first glass from the bottle without food, half an hour after opening. As everyone else was glugging their second G&T I savoured the warmth and depth and struggled to keep a grin off my face. Chianti is one of my favourite wine styles and this is an excellent example, from a relatively inexpensive producer - I think this bottle could be bought on release for about £12.

BTW, awesome photos from your trip, tj. I forgot to thank you for sharing them. The Castello at Volpaia was gorgeous. Hopefully I'll be able to make my way northeast to Chianti for at least a day, but the majority of my time in Tuscany will be focused in Montalcino.

I'll likely make a day trip to Siena, but the rest of the time will be in Montalcino. I have several winemakers to visit after meeting them in May at a Brunello dinner. Definitely looking forward to tasting the '99s while I am there and perhaps some barrel samples as well.

I'll likely make a day trip to Siena, but the rest of the time will be in Montalcino. I have several winemakers to visit after meeting them in May at a Brunello dinner. Definitely looking forward to tasting the '99s while I am there and perhaps some barrel samples as well.

You lucky dog. :raz:

I'll be sure to think, "Hey, I bet tj would like this" when I'm tasting, okay? :)

Just kidding, that'd be cruel. But if and when you head back to Tuscany, let me know, and I'm sure I could arrange some stuff for you. I can't wait to visit Eredi Fuligni. Roberto Guerrini is a really nice person to dine and chat with. It'll be good to say hello again. Oh, and his '97 Brunello Riserva was unreal. I'm sure the '99s will be just as phenomenal.