• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food writers, what's on your business card?

TPO

I decided to simplify my business card: I didn't even put my phone number on it. For many reasons, I wanted the simplest card possible, but had to include three areas of my expertise. I didn't put my URL on—I figured that most anyone could deduce it from the back.

Tana, I love your card!

Nice type, nicely grounded graphic and lots of white space. And the dropshadow is subtle not glaring.

Speaking of business cards, currently the wholesale price for a thousand, 4/0 10pt. C1S, has reached $25.00. I expect it to go even lower.

My design prices are inline with the ones Steven mentioned.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

I'm still going through a stack of grub shack business cards that I got free from staples.com in exchange for a lifetime of spam. They just say "mamster's grubshack, Matthew Amster-Burton," and my email address and URL. Plus there are some lemons, because it was food related.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Is your uncle Daryl Dragon? Is he in that ad for Kohl's? If that's your uncle, that's cool!

Edited to add: I like the idea of a magnifying glass in your logo. Looking at a hamburger is good, or the magnifying glass in place of a plate at a setting, with the fork and knife around it. For a slogan, I was trying to think of a play on the old saying "Let your hunger be your guide" but I am drawing a blank right now.

Damn your good!...I was hoping it would play out a little longer with more clues....so was it the Beach Boys or the muskrat clue that gave it away....

I am actually on the Tennille side as my mom is Louisa Tennille who was always the "look alike sister" in the band. Daryl does the Culinary Detective web site and does a pretty good job I think...He is always getting new toys and stuff to play with and web sites are his new thing....must be nice to be a bored former pop star with a ton of money to burn! Please let me know of any slogans you come up with!

I will e mail him about the pickle joke! and yes they are in the background of the 30 second Kohls ad...you have to look for them.

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Damn your good!...I was hoping it would play out a little longer with more clues....so was it the Beach Boys or the muskrat clue that gave it away....

Actually, it was the combination of the two. I suppose the muskrats alone might have given it away though. I was a huge fan of Captain and Tennille as a kid. You should have seen me when I realized they were in that Kohl's ad... it was so great to see them!

But sorry I ruined your fun. :smile:

I'll keep thinking of slogans...

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

Speaking of business cards, currently the wholesale price for a thousand, 4/0 10pt. C1S, has reached $25.00. I expect it to go even lower.

really? lemme make sure i understand.

wholesale price for printing 1000 cards 4color front, nothing on back, C1S card stock is $25.

and it's potentially going lower. whoa.

okay, guess i'm gonna work on getting my card.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Yup, 25 bucks for a ready-to-go tiff. If they have to futz around with the file it jumps to $35.00. Also, at these prices they consider shipping charges as a profit center, but luckily, I'm nearby.

Did I mention the 24hr turnaround?

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

I was thinking of the looking glass thing, even the sherlock holmes hat....Also the badge thing would work.... I like the "if you can eat it he can find it".....or maybe if you want/will eat it,he can find it.

Possible slogans for the Culinary Detective:

- Alimentary, my dear Watson

- Have spoon, will travel

- There are 10,000 greasy spoons in the big city. My job is to find them and tell you about them. I'm the Culinary Detective.

- My spoon is quick.

Hmm, gotta give this some more thought. This is fun.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

I'm cheap, so I buy card stock at Arvey paper and have Kinko's print my cards 10-up from a pdf. I get about 1000 for less than $25. I hand out a lot of cards at the Farmers Market, so I put both email and website on them.

i1530.jpg

I'm not trained as a designer, but I've worked with many. From them I learned about using type as a design element, and I prefer to remain logo-less.

Jim

edit for this ps:

My wife told me to add the product list on this version, and, as usual, she was right. People don't have to remember that I'm the olive oil guy....and I should add that I stopped making a separate 'freelance writer' card several years ago so I only had to carry one business card around. This doesn't add much to the question of what to put on your card, but it gave me an excuse to convert my Pagemaker file to a jpeg and upload it to imagegullet.

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

I was thinking of the looking glass thing, even the sherlock holmes hat....Also the badge thing would work.... I like the "if you can eat it he can find it".....or maybe if you want/will eat it,he can find it.

Possible slogans for the Culinary Detective:

- Alimentary, my dear Watson

- Have spoon, will travel

- There are 10,000 greasy spoons in the big city. My job is to find them and tell you about them. I'm the Culinary Detective.

- My spoon is quick.

I suppose "The Dining Dick" would be too old school. :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver