• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best restaurant in San Francisco

Malik

After one too many late nights out in the city, I'm wondering what is the best place to eat in SF after the sun goes down. In particular, the categories I care about are:

1) After 10pm

2) After midnight

3) After 2am

4) After 3am

My current favorites for a weekend night:

1) After 10pm

Lots of choices in this category (though not as many as I'd like). I'd probably choose Zuni, but there's a quite a few competent restaurants top pick from.

2) After midnight

Globe. This is the category that separates the men from the boys :wink:

3) After 2am

For me, it comes down to a choice between Steps of Rome (Riggatoni Arrabiata or Straccetti with Potatoes, followed by a Hazelnut Gelato or a Tiramisu) or Kelly's Burger (hard to beat a good juicy burger with steak fries after a good night of drinking). Pim told me about a late night soup joint on Broadway, but I forget the name. I've been spotted a few times ordering a slice of pizza at Cable Car Pizza on Valencia, certainly nothing I'd consider during regular business hours.

4) After 3am

Now the pickings get really slim, with the all night diners being just about the only places still open. I'd give a nod to Sparky's, but at this point it's mostly a matter of personal preference, as none of the choices are very satisfying.

• 2 weeks later...

Brazen Head at Filbert and Buchanan serves food until 1am. Great menu and staff and a damn good burger. Like Globe it's another "industry" hang out.

The Sausage Factory in the Castro also serves food until 1am (7 days a week). Typical family style Italian fare and decent pizza.

Then there's always Bagdad Cafe on Market for all night dining.

It's Tops Diner on mid-Market is open late if you're in the mood for burgers, other diner fare or breakfast (try the buckwheat pancakes...)

after 10 pm--Zuni as mentioned above...

I also like Ryoko's for sushi (a couple blocks west of Union SQ); they might be open 'til midnight on weekends...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Emmy's Spaghetti Shack on Mission at Virginia (out past Cesar Chavez) is excellent. Cash only, closes at midnight. Casual environment, interesting but small menu. Hipster vibe.

Bacar on 448 Brannan is open till midnight Mon-Thur, 1am on Fri and Sat. Excellent wine list. http://www.bacarsf.com/index_flash.html

Scala's- right in Union Square, food is pretty good. Open until 12am.

Blowfish Sushi- until midnight. http://www.blowfishsushi.citysearch.com/

Pim told me about a late night soup joint on Broadway, but I forget the name.

Hing Lung, Broadway and Stockton.

Their spoons and bowls are something sticky. :blink: But their Jok is worth the risk--plus, no organism is going to survive the hot-as-molten-lava bowl of Jok anyhow.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Emmy's Spaghetti Shack on Mission at Virginia (out past Cesar Chavez) is excellent. Cash only, closes at midnight. Casual environment, interesting but small menu. Hipster vibe.

Bacar on 448 Brannan is open till midnight Mon-Thur, 1am on Fri and Sat. Excellent wine list. http://www.bacarsf.com/index_flash.html

Scala's- right in Union Square, food is pretty good. Open until 12am.

Blowfish Sushi- until midnight. http://www.blowfishsushi.citysearch.com/

Good suggestions here, especially Emmy's Spaghetti Shack, it's one of the spots I like to hit for a late dinner on a week night and they serve the best spaghetti with meatballs I've had in San Francisco. I also like Bacar, especially for the wine list as you mentioned, but I always forget to think about them for a late meal. I'll have to keep them in mind next time I eat out late. Haven't tried Scala's, but I really don't like Blowfish: the atmosphere is cool, but the sushi does not hit anywhere near the mark.

there's a 24hour chinese resto on washington between kearny and grant. it's ok for afterhours eating since i don't think there are any others open at 5am. there are better places to go during regular hours.

A quick web search leads me to believe that you're talking about Silver Restaurant at 737 Washington Street, which according to this website is open 24 hours. Unfortunately, CitySearch lists the restaurant as closed. That's really too bad, because Chinese food would have been a nice alternative to the usal diners. At least one other restaurant on that webpage has closed, Steve the Greek.

There are a couple of decent choices in the Mission on that page though, El Farolito and Taqueria San Jose are open until 3am and 4am respectively on weekends, and I've heard good things about their food. Another option to consider would be Osha Thai Noodle Cafe, 696 Geary St at Leavenworth, they're also open until 3am on the weekend.