• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Opening Soon.

Chef Fowke

Looks fantastic and very feasible.

With such a large operation I guess experience will quickly shows what sells and what doesn't.

Might I comment that vegetarians/ slimmers/ kosher or other religious people will have a hard time. Some of the dishes, like the Yukon mash or the Romaine salad would be OK without the Bacon/Ham Hock. Maybe offer the option without? Or explicitly mark the vegetarian/Atkins options?

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Looks fantastic and very feasible.

With such a large operation I guess experience will quickly shows what sells and what doesn't.

Might I comment that vegetarians/ slimmers/ kosher or other religious people will have a hard time. Some of the dishes, like the Yukon mash or the Romaine salad would be OK without the Bacon/Ham Hock. Maybe offer the option without? Or explicitly mark the vegetarian/Atkins  options?

I have added your post to my notes. I never considered the fringe groups....

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Problem is that although the majority of customers are OK, every party of 8 or 10, whom you need, has one or two fringe eaters in it. If they feel comfortable, the whole party does, and they may select the restaurant just because they fussy eater can be accomodated.

Often its as simple as marking the menu to show suitable dishes..

Problem is that although the majority of customers are OK, every party of 8 or 10, whom you need, has one or two fringe eaters in it. If they feel comfortable, the whole party does, and they may select the restaurant just because they fussy eater can be accomodated.

Often its as simple as marking the menu to show suitable dishes..

So this becomes rule number 8!

You are so correct and right on the money! Thank you for the post.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Chef Fowke: Thank you.

I'll get back to Vancouver at some point in the future. I have a lovely friend in Seattle that I think would be a perfect date for a trip north for some fine dining at your newly opened restaurant! :smile:

Pan:

Which one?

Silly personal webpage (designed with the help of my good friend's two pre-teen children one rainy afternoon activity)

Silly bartender page, very much in need of an update/face lift and/or deletion!

Employer

This website is in the works for an overhaul too. The menus have not been kept up to date. It also does make light mention of the Upper Deck (an 'isolated' dining area), but does not include or highlight the patio and pool patio areas (two other separate dining areas each seating 80-100 guests).

Now regarding bar/wine bar set ups. I have posted about ideal situations on Webtender last winter and we had a decent discussion on this. I'll revisit it tomorrow and start a post of recommendations and some good links that may be of assistance. For the most part, I can certainly discuss what didn't work and why since I've gone through a few openings and clever architects that have lacked any prior food and beverage design experience, either that or they threw it all to the wind and crammed it all in regardless. I opened Ladd's Landing in Put in Bay, Shula's Steak 2 and Hard Rock Cafe in Cleveland from the ground up. Elsewise I've done many set ups at the beginning of each Spring -- someone's got to do it from cracking open the weather beaten lock on the outdoor bars and power hosing countless spider sort of things out to carrying in the bottles to stock and get ready for another season of business. That's usually when something, whether that is a new addition or an obstacle, is given consideration and addressed with "Mr. Crabs," our owner, management, our favourite contractor, and a few restaurant supply firms.

What sort of specifics are you looking for? Equipment recommendations? Stuff like double speed rail v. none? Loss prevention/effective service bar set up, for both smooth service and minimising administrative and internal loss?

Ask away! :wink:

And on a service issue -- Two places I really enjoyed working for employed a 'creating a raving fan' with each of your guests as a mantra. Something similar, when I worked for Hard Rock we approached each shift as an opportunity to throw a party, anticipating our guests' needs while providing an entertaining and welcoming atmosphere. Key to outstanding tips and happy guests from one who knows!

Now regarding bar/wine bar set ups.  I have posted about ideal situations on Webtender last winter and we had a decent discussion on this.  I'll revisit it tomorrow and start a post of recommendations and some good links that may be of assistance.  For the most part, I can certainly discuss what didn't work and why since I've gone through a few openings and clever architects that have lacked any prior food and beverage design experience, either that or they threw it all to the wind and crammed it all in regardless.  I opened Ladd's Landing in Put in Bay, Shula's Steak 2 and Hard Rock Cafe in Cleveland from the ground up.  Elsewise I've done many set ups at the beginning of each Spring -- someone's got to do it from cracking open the weather beaten lock on the outdoor bars and power hosing countless spider sort of things out to carrying in the bottles to stock and get ready for another season of business.  That's usually when something, whether that is a new addition or an obstacle,  is given consideration and addressed with "Mr. Crabs," our owner, management, our favourite contractor, and a few restaurant supply firms.

What sort of specifics are you looking for?  Equipment recommendations?  Stuff like double speed rail v. none?  Loss prevention/effective service bar set up, for both smooth service and minimising administrative and internal loss?

Ask away!  :wink:

Rule number 9.

Hire the right people who have the right answer.

I have not hired a bar/beverage/sommelier yet. I need to ASAP. I do not even have a job description drafted for the position. I do for every other position in the restaurant.

I guess I know what I am drafting tomorrow. So much for watching some football (actually, hockey.... I am Canadian after all).

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Watch the hockey for heaven sakes!

Usually the bar folks, management wise, can come on board relatively near to completion of the project, that is if they've got experience because they'll be able to jump right in without missing a beat if they share the same vision you have with this venture. (screened out via the interviewing process) Developing wine lists, well that usually starts with the owner/Executive Chef (whichever, if both, applies) since they tend to already have a good idea of what they'd like to offer their guests through the restaurant concept/menu development.

Don't be shy about it -- ask any question, large or small, via post or PM and an answer will be supplied! :cool:

What part of the bar would you like to start? (Sorry if this is so forward, but I drank way too much coffee tonight! :biggrin: )

Developing wine lists, well that usually starts with the owner/Executive Chef (whichever, if both, applies) since they tend to already have a good idea of what they'd like to offer their guests through the restaurant concept/menu development.

Don't be shy about it -- ask any question, large or small, via post or PM and an answer will be supplied!  :cool:

What part of the bar would you like to start?  (Sorry if this is so forward, but I drank way too much coffee tonight!  :biggrin: )

What is the perfect set up for a high volume bar? How many brands maximize profitability?

I have a tech designing a cooler system for all the wines. He is making 19 different temperature zones so that all the 'house wine/table wine/wine by the glass is served at its optimal temperature (the USA and Canada server there white wine way to cold and there red wine way to warm!!!). How do you train the customer to appreciate the effort without alienating them?

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Rule number 9.

Hire the right people who have the right answer.

I have not hired a bar/beverage/sommelier yet. I need to ASAP. I do not even have a job description drafted for the position. I do for every other position in the restaurant.

I guess I know what I am drafting tomorrow. So much for watching some football (actually, hockey.... I am Canadian after all).

I'll start with:

WANTED

Experienced Bar Manager

We are seeking a candidate with a minimum of two years successful, high volume bar management utilising oustanding guest service skills balanced with an excellent grasp of wine knowledge, current cocktail trends and human resource skills to motivate and promote FOH staff product knowledge, increased/repeat guest revenues as well as maintaining a low alcohol cost of operation.

It is a little scary, but it should be. And it can be done.

Two years? I think it will probably be 10 years minimum. Maybe I am off on this but the handling of the liquid cash needs to be a top priority.

This leads to anti-theft systems. It is so easy to 'scam' a restaurant as a server/bartender. I will use blind cash outs, but is there software available or a system of management that will help eliminate this problem?

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I agree with the ten years. But you've got some candidates that have done this job, and done it well and are ready to grow!

However, invest time in the interviewing process. If there is a thief in the process for consideration for management, they usually don't last a whole two years in any successful bar management situation let alone one location, nor do they tend to apply because they will be reseached. (not at all a bad idea)

With a minimum of two years in the trenches you can actually "feel" during an interview. Either they've done it or it is all crap. For the most part, it weeds out everyone that will walk in with a flimsy piece of paper in their hands regarding some bartending academy certificate of completion. (bleh!) You want the real folks that've done for awhile. Their resumes will shine above all others. :smile: Easy questions are asking them to tell you about their highest ring, their average domestic beer price and requesting what an average ring was, in their opinion, on Wednesday nigth and then on Friday night.

To weed out some of the fakers, we provide a quiz with every application that must be completed accurately for consideration for hire. I'd be happy to forward same. :smile:

Thieves are caught, usually pretty easily. (Fortunately, I really get into what thieves are doing because I have my own culinary palace ideas....!) The interviewing process and reference checks are crucial. If it cannot be verified, well then they are not a part of the team!

Liquor cost keeps my job, along with an awesome schedule and lovely bonuses. I've earned that. I'll be very happy to post what thieves can and will do because they are the bane of my profession and existance. I have zero tolerance.

edited to warn you about my spelling -- never trust that! :rolleyes:

Edited by beans (log)

Beans, one of the things I noticed on your bartending website (thanks for the link) was your highest ring. I'm no bartender, but ringing up thousands of dollars in 6 hours seemed pretty impressive to me. Nice tips for you!

Michael aka "Pan"

This sounds great, Brian. I look forward to getting up there at some point.

The one thing that struck me was the prices on your sample menu. They really seem low--especially the seafood and meat selections. $9 CDN for grilled wild line-caught sockeye? $14-16 CDN for prime dry-aged steaks? $8 CDN for leg of lamb? I've never heard of such incredible bargains. I wonder if, even at high volume, you can really cover your costs at that kind of price point.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

This sounds great, Brian.  I look forward to getting up there at some point. 

The one thing that struck me was the prices on your sample menu.  They really seem low--especially the seafood and meat selections.  $9 CDN for grilled wild line-caught sockeye?  $14-16 CDN for prime dry-aged steaks?  $8 CDN for leg of lamb?  I've never heard of such incredible bargains.  I wonder if, even at high volume, you can really cover your costs at that kind of price point.

This is one of the benefits of the 'market' concept. We will be able to serve everything al a carte. The portions will be small (4oz for fish and 5oz for meats) so that more flavours can be experienced in a visit. I expect that it will take two portions to fill a hungry customer. One portion for lunch, etc...

Chef/Owner/Teacher

That's a great idea, Chef Fowke, small portions so that people don't waste as much and can more easily sample more items. Kind of an a la carte tasting menu concept.

Michael aka "Pan"

What is the perfect set up for a high volume bar?

Here's a recent question on equipment.

Here's an excellent discussion on a "Dream Bar" set up.

How many brands maximize profitability?

A few random thoughts, in no particular order:

I guess you can have too many or not enough. I think of my favourite local dive and they have probably the largest import inventory in town. But that's their gig, even if no one orders a Bunker Hill Blueberry Ale that they stock, in two years. I've also gone to clubs that want to focus upon their spirits instead of beer sales and will have only Bud/Bud Light as their sole domestic selection.

Define a liquor cost percent and work as hard as possible to stick to it.

For example, working with a 25 percent liquor cost regarding wine. Say your selected bottle of port is 750 ml, is $35 wholesale and 2 ounce portions are the standard service:

750 ml = approximately 12.67, two-ounce servings. Easily rounded to 12 servings with that little bit extra for error and/or a special treat to the chef? :wink:

$35.00 x 4 = $140 ($35 needs to be 1/4th of the cost)

$140/12 servings equals $11.66 to charge per drink order.

-OR-

$35/12 equals $2.916 per serving at cost.

$2.916 x 4 = $11.66 to cover the 25% liquor cost.

Another thought to liquor costs -- I've worked with bar/restaurant owners, management and other bartenders that view their "well" liquors with a minimum of "call" brands. Their starting well vodka would be either Absolut or Stoli, etc. While that does demonstrate a lovely discerning choice of offerings, well liquor is a HUGE money maker. Liquor cost is covered quickly allowing for the majority of the bottle of alcohol being sold more profitably. Servers are often trained to upsell their call drinks to bolster their guest checks, but it is the well drinker that is providing more revenue dollars. However you may also find very few well drinking patrons, depending upon your targeted market. :wink:

I have a tech designing a cooler system for all the wines. He is making 19 different temperature zones so that all the 'house wine/table wine/wine by the glass is served at its optimal temperature (the USA and Canada server there white wine way to cold and there red wine way to warm!!!).

ooooooh, very cool.

How do you train the customer to appreciate the effort without alienating them?

Careful selection of professional service staff. Arm them with product knowledge. Training, training and more training. It sounds silly and often is when you have to go through the paces, but role playing, say for instance -- wine service, with their cohorts helps tremendously. Their guest service skills must be the cream of the crop.

An old Disney training technique has proven to be quite effective outside of the little retail environment for what it was intended. It works in food and beverage (quite similar to retail -- you are selling a product and service) as wells with any workplace environment.

Exceed expectations. Your guest and co-workers/bosses/owners, etc.

How? At Disney, it was coined the "Guest service cycle:"

• Greet them sincerely and warmly. Make them feel welcome.
  • Identify their needs. Some guests want to eat and be left alone. That is their needs. Some guests need assistance in descriptions of entrees, wines, etc., or recommendations.
  • Product knowledge. Another Disney-like term: FAB. (Features And Benefits -- the 'what's in it for me?' point of view) For example, the guest would like a Vodka Martini (for the sake of this, forgive the improper word usage of Martini for cocktail :biggrin:). What would you recommend?
    -Have you tried Stolichnaya Crystal?
    -No.
    -The vodka is quadruple distilled with rare winter wheat and glacial spring water for exceptional purity making a lovely Martini.
    Use this with wine service as well reinforcing the concept that particular wine is carefully served at the optimal temperature for the most enjoyment and/or best showcasing the varietal's wonderful nuances.
    Wine tastings are always fun training. :raz:
  • Ensure guest satisfaction. If the guest is not satisfied, well then back to identifying their needs.
  • Wrap up. In this case, thanking them for spending their evening dining in your service and a quick settling of the bill.

This leads to anti-theft systems. It is so easy to 'scam' a restaurant as a server/bartender. I will use blind cash outs, but is there software available or a system of management that will help eliminate this problem?

There are alls sort of loss prevention.

Also in no particular order, random loss prevention tools/ideas:

Secret "spotters" that order and observe and report back to management are effective. They are good at observing cash handling skills, productivity (a loafing bartender chatting with their friends) and portion control (their liquor pours).

Taking inventory on a regularly scheduled basis is key as well. There are many newer PDA software options that are really cool technology-wise and are fantastically precise.

This ties into monitoring overall sales for each bartender. Now that is hard to do in the beginning because you don't have previous sales figures to make comparisons and some tenders will undoubtably be better at banging out high volume and/or are of varying selling abilities.

Surveillance technology loves to sell their wares to restaurant owners. I've worked with and without. I've always felt an eye in the sky was in one form or another -- with a boss hanging out near the service end of the bar or electronically from the comforts of the restaurant offices. Although it has assisted nicely in the firings of others less than honest (our system records).

Another consideration -- how are servers obtaining their drinks for the dining room guests? Is it run in a POS that generates a ticket behind the bar? (best) We used to have an audible calling system between servers and bartender, but it was with drink ticket in server's hand. No tickey, no washy. Unfortunately there were those that abused it so that process went to the wayside.

And lastly, portion control. What will be the restaurant's standard pour? I've worked where it was 1 ounce and up to 1 1/2 ounces. (Think about : Who is over pouring?) What method will you employ? Free pouring? Free pouring with the use of a jigger for measurement? Portion controlled pourers? (the type with a ball bearing in them) As a bartender I've enjoyed free pouring. There is an Exacto Pour piece of equipment that are various test tubes with calibrated measurements that enables a manager to put a tender to the test. It is a "blind" pour for the bartender. At the Hard Rock, before each shift, every bartender needed to complete the pour test satisfactorily, twice, under management's watchful eye before being able to free pour on the floor. If you failed, well then you were the only one pouring with the assistance of a jigger. :sad: Do that once and trust me, accuracy becomes your newest priority under the eyes of questioning guests and your competitive peers. :biggrin: Pouring is also reflected in the scheduled inventory assessments.

Yikes, I hope this is of some assistance, as I see this is a rather lengthy, and highly subjective point of view.... :huh: My apologies on length!

Edited by beans (log)

Oh, crap.

On a quick re-read, I can see my caffeine induced delirium. :wacko:

I was confusing the bartender/bar manager hiring issue. Bar managers with that minimum of 2 years under their belt tend to have the management experience of staff and actual bartending.

The quiz stuff I mentioned were for all of the bartender wannabe applicants.

Wow...I live in Vancouver and I'm just wondering when is this market/restaurant expected to open?  :smile:

The management team has been hired, the drawings and business plan are complete. We are just finishing up with the investors. The investors should all be inline by the end of March. At that point construction should be complete within six months.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Chef:

In addition to all of the sound advice that Beans has offered, and the use of spotters, etc. which is crucial in a high volume establishment, I'd like to mention that how you "crunch the numbers" and do the inventories has a lot to do with keeping a leash on your costs. This happens to be my particular area of expertise so I hope you'll indulge me. What appears on your sales reports has more to do with how you've programmed your POS system and whether it's being properly utilized by the staff than what actually got sold. For instance, having an upcharge for "cosmo" or "up" for vodka and/or gin is only cost effective if all of your product is of similar cost. However, if you have high end vodka (let's use Grey Goose as the example) then the $1 or $2 "up" charge may not accurately reflect the cost differential between a 1.75 oz. "highball" pour (i.e. a vodka and tonic), a 2.5 oz. "cosmo" pour or a 3.5 oz. "up" pour for a Grey Goose martini. It's best to program your POS system to reflect those as "separate" items. Hence, if you've sold 100 "Grey Goose" + 100 "Grey Goose Cosmo" + 100 "Grey Goose Up" in one week then you've sold 300 Grey Goose that week at an average pour of 2.6 oz. Does this equal what's left at the end of that inventory period? Someone has to be taking inventory carefully and comparing beginning inventory + purchases -sales and being certain that that is what ENDING inventory is equal to in any given sales period (I use Monday-Sunday and do inventory Monday AM before service starts every week). Make sense? I've truly seen or heard of every trick in the book, including a bartender sneaking in bottles of the house well liquor so the free drinks they gave out to good customers to jack up their tips wouldn't seem "missing", to a bartender that actually brought their own cash register in and rang half of the nights proceeds into their own till in an extremely busyclub! It's unfortunately true that there's an enormous amount of theft that goes on in house. Keeping careful inventory control and making it difficult to overpour because you've programmed the POS to portion control for you are some of the precautions you can take. Feel free to PM me if I can explain this more clearly. I've done quite a bit of liquor cost control consulting for friends opening restaurants as well as what I jokingly refer to as "forensic liquor accounting" (revisiting the scene of the crime) on a weekly basis at my present job, doing the cost accounting for three different busy restaurants. Admittedly you need to have a spreadsheet geek like myself on staff to do this, but the savings and theft thwarted usually makes it worthwhile.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

This sounds like a great venture - makes me want to move to Canada!

Regarding the market concept, have you considered extending the concept into wine - have a well stocked wine shop, with expert staff, and allow diners to buy there wine from the shop and drink witht there meal for a modest corkage?

There are several smaller scale places which do this sort of wine shop/restaurant combination.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Chef, best of luck on the venture. It sounds great. I've been wanting to re-visit Vancouver for awhile. Hmmm, maybe this is the kick in the pants I need.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs