• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Down Your eGullet: A weekly wine

Craig Camp

Raccolta: a weekly Italian wine harvested by Craig Camp

Today that rich heritage is carried on by Tino Colla, Beppe's younger brother, and Frederica Colla, Beppe’s daughter, who are partners in Poderi Colla. Their family owned estate was created in 1993 and its wines are based on superb vineyards in Barbaresco (Tenuta Roncaglia,); Barolo Bussia in Monforte d’Alba (Tenuta Dardi Le Rose) and Cascine Drago in the Alba zone.

1999 Poderi Colla, Barolo, Bussia, Dardi Le Rose

I tasted this wine (and also the 99 Barbarescos) with Tino about a month ago while he was in Connecticut. What a knockout ! These wine have great structure and incredible tannins. Great "old style" wines. Can't imagine what the 2001's will be like.

The 1997 "Roncoglia" Barbaresco is a wonderful wine, and grossly underpriced for the quality.

Craig,

After a tasting a while back I picked up some of the '96 Poderi Colla Tenuta Roncaglia Barbaresco. I loved it then, but I know nothing about how this producer's wines age. Any advice on maturity stages. I really like fully mature Nebbiolo. ('70 Conterno Monfortino tasted in September was one of my top 5 wines of the year.)

I can't imagine the Colla 96 Barbaresco being ready to drink before its tenth birthday, but I would wait until it is closer to 15. Tino Colla makes wines to last - and then last some more.

...as always assuming good storage conditions.

Storage is great (temp controlled cellar). Thanks for the advice!