• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red wine with smoked fish

fresco

I'd also consider the type of wood you're using for smoking the fish, for one thing. For another, I would consider the intensity of the smoke and how dry or moist the Char will be when it gets to the table.

If your Char is more intensely smoked, then a "woodsy" sort of red wine might be suitable. If your particular fish is rather oily, then a more acidic red such as Barbera might be suitable. A more trout-like Char would be best with a more delicate red such as a Beaujolais, a lighter-styled Loire Valley red.

I'd suggest starting the guests off with a nice Champagne to prepare their palates...then you can proceed from there.

You didn't mention how the Char is eventually being brought to the table or the side dishes accompanying it. These might also influence the selection of a suitable red wine.