• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tamp & Little Havana

foodie52

have you been to tampa before? the only place i can think of that has flamenco is the columbia restaurant in ybor city. the food there is pretty good-it's very touristy, but if it's your first visit to tampa, i recommend it for just that reason! try tomake a stop at la seguna cetral bakery on 15th and 15th in ybor city- a must for cuban bread, guava pastries and other goodies. get there early- they get low on the good stuff by about 0900. estella's on davis island is a great place to hang out if the weather is nice. the food is cheap and the margarita are quite tasty. hope you have a nice visit!

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

I had 2 really good meals on a visit a few years ago at a place called the Samba Room. Don't remeber the area it was in (it was a little shopping dining area - not Ybor City).

Pretty good Carribean / Cuban food. We liked it so much we went back again later in the trip.

This was before I became a big eGullet / Food Geek so it may not be as good as I remember but I thought it was very good at the time.

Edit - no dancing that I can remember though.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

I'll be in the Tampa area next week. I've been told to visit Little Havana, and that there is actually a flamenco place...and good food.

Help me find these gems!

As mq said, got to be Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City. It is very touristy, but defies conventional logic by serving good food in a fun atmo. The website has a schedule for their flamenco shows.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

foodie52- i can tell that i post at obscene hours and don't edit. the name of the bakery would be la segunda central and it IS on 15th and 15th in ybor. also might want to visit naviera coffee mill on the main drag through ybor-you can smell the coffee roasting in pinellas county! come to think of it i'll be in tampa this friday-enjoy the weather! vq

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

Thanks to all of you! I had a great food weekend in Tampa. We got to Ybor City at around 6 pm, and had reservations at Columbia : you are exactly right about it. It was the perfect place to take my parents and to visit to get a taste of the area. The bar is amazing, as was our bartender! The food was OK, the atmosphere was great! And the coffee...the coffee was fantastic.

We also drove to Tarpon Springs and ate at Mama's - it was so exciting to have Greek food, something we do not get in Texas. We had whole, broiled red snapper...lamb kebobs... flaming cheese... delicious grouper....an antipasti plate of charbroiled octopus, tender squid and delicious smelts.

Lots of retsina! We were in heaven!