• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Bolivar Petit Corona

All About Bourbon Whiskey

Was helping out at a cocktail competition yesterday and tried a fantastic bourbon and cocktail made with it: Reservoir  From Richmond, VA, very young, but deep, complex, balanced, and this bourbon-basher really liked it! 

The cocktail is called "A Jones for Lenore" by Torrence Swain, a DC bartender, in the "Craft Spirits of Poe" competition. Here's what went in:

Bourbon (I assume 2 oz)

1/2 oz yellow chartreuse

1/4 oz? Ango

Lime of unknown quantity (presumably 1/2-3/4)

served up, garnished with a clove-studded lime wheel.

Amazing drink.  Too bad the bourbon is $90 a bottle though  :hmmm: I find it rather unreasonable that a whisky that's so young it doesn't even have the word "straight" on it is selling for that much.

I guess it's bourbon because of new charred barrels?

I'm assuming American oak and we know it's at least 51% corn ;)

Most importantly you liked it.

The only negative is the ridiculous price

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 1

Was helping out at a cocktail competition yesterday and tried a fantastic bourbon and cocktail made with it: Reservoir  From Richmond, VA, very young, but deep, complex, balanced, and this bourbon-basher really liked it! 

The cocktail is called "A Jones for Lenore" by Torrence Swain, a DC bartender, in the "Craft Spirits of Poe" competition. Here's what went in:

Bourbon (I assume 2 oz)

1/2 oz yellow chartreuse

1/4 oz? Ango

Lime of unknown quantity (presumably 1/2-3/4)

served up, garnished with a clove-studded lime wheel.

Amazing drink.  Too bad the bourbon is $90 a bottle though  :hmmm: I find it rather unreasonable that a whisky that's so young it doesn't even have the word "straight" on it is selling for that much.

I did not find it to be as interesting as you apparently did. Maybe it would work in a cocktail although at the unbelievably high price they are charging it isn't really even reasonable to use it for that purpose. I did not think it very good on its own. Indeed "unreasonable" is probably the kindest thing I could say about it...

Well I don't like normal bourbon too much so maybe its unreasonable-ness is why I liked it?

Well I don't like normal bourbon too much so maybe its unreasonable-ness is why I liked it?

Always a possibility. Every palate is different!