• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods that are Divisive Because of their Taste/Aftertaste

jhlurie

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD

nice

I too can not stand marzipan.

I lived in Spain some time ago 

and many cakes were covered in marzipan

I could not stand it

I do like almonds 

a lot

https://www.thekitchn.com/almond-paste-and-marzipan-what-46772

still odd Id say if I like almonds

My heritage is Dutch.  Every Christmas we had a Kerstkrans.  Sometimes my mother made it, sometimes she bought it.  Essentially it is a ring of pastry stuffed with almond paste.  Because it was something "special" we had to eat it.  Gawd, I hate it as much as marzipan.  Maybe more.  I stay away from both.  Yet, I sure like almonds, especially sliced ones browned in butter spooned over a pan fried filet of sole.  Yum.

• Like 1

Ihave never thought of this before

why , to one consistent palate

lets sat mine  or an other

do almonds , whole , sliced , toasted or note

iaste fine

but grind almonds up

and they taste more or less vile

I thought back when , in spain as that's  where i first encountered marzipan

they added some sort of chemical to the almonds

The ones you eat are sweet almonds. The ones that give the over-the-top almond flavor are bitter almonds.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 12/5/2003 at 2:12 PM, Toliver said:

I wonder, too, how many of those who find cilantro to be "soapy" are supertasters? Imagine all those extra tastebuds screwing up their palates. Perhaps they should take up smoking to kill off a couple hundred or so of the little buggers.

I feel sorry for supertasters. Imagine going through life tasting everything more intensely than the rest of us. A friend of ours, who visits occasionally, is a supertaster and quite frankly he's a real PITA to cook for.

A Mexican friend can't tolerate black pepper. He can eat every chile pepper known to man, but a speck or 2 of black pepper--no. And another friend thinks that beets taste like "dirt." As they say, different strokes.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

2 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

And another friend thinks that beets taste like "dirt." As they say, different strokes.

That's because they do. :P xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I am surprised that no one here has mentioned coconut. When I was in culinary school we learned that a goodly slice of the population (including me!) does not like coconut, and it's thought to be genetic, like cilantro soapy-flavor dislike. The number cited, but I cannot find a scientific paper on it online, was approximately 20%.  I agree with the genetic part, because even as a small child, the smell of coconut has made me nauseous and I have no recollection of any negative associations. (it's hard for me to go to the beach sometimes because of all the coconut tanning oils) I can choke down toasted coconut to be polite, but I would never voluntarily choose to eat it.

Obviously, this whole topic is important for anyone entering a cooking competition.

• Like 3

Tilapia.   I've some in restaurants that was very good but the stuff I bought in the store had an awful taste that to me was a moldy taste.  Some describe it a 'muddy'.  Whatever it is it's turned me off it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

I am surprised that no one here has mentioned coconut...

With my brother, his dislike of coconut was textural. He said, that to him, eating shredded coconut was like chewing on toe nails. O.o xD

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

55 minutes ago, Toliver said:

With my brother, his dislike of coconut was textural. He said, that to him, eating shredded coconut was like chewing on toe nails. O.o xD

I have to ask. Does he have a basis for comparison?

• Haha 5

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I have participated in many cooking competitions. It took me a long time to learn why I wasn't winning. Not many people like lamb.

After that, I had won a few. with pork, chicken, & beef.

I have never seen BBQ lamb cooking competitions.

dcarch 

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 5

For me that is corn. I really can't abide it. Even one stray ear in my dinner puts me right off eating. I have no real idea why. I just find the taste and smell revolting.

Yet otherwise, I happily eat all sorts of strange things. Here in China, they like to ram corn into everything, even when I specifically ask them not to. I mean they even have corn ice-cream. If that's the peak of 6,000 years of civilisation,  I give up!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

7 hours ago, lindag said:

Tilapia.   I've some in restaurants that was very good but the stuff I bought in the store had an awful taste that to me was a moldy taste.  Some describe it a 'muddy'.  Whatever it is it's turned me off it.

I'm not a fan of tilapia either.  Whenever I've had it, it's tasted like bad catfish.  Yeah, muddy.

3 hours ago, Chimayo Joe said:

Here are a couple of my quirks.  I love garlic, and I love mashed potatoes, but I don't like garlic mashed potatoes.  I like mint, and I love chocolate, but I hate mint chocolate.

I'm also not a fan of mint and chocolate together, though I'm fine with either flavor on its own. Except in an oatmeal cookie...chocolate has no place in an oatmeal cookie. Those were designed by God to contain raisins. :P

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Finding a raisin in my food is like finding a chewy cockaroach in there.

Coconut tastes odd and has that woody thing going on.

Cilantro...soapy stinkbug

Lamb chops...nice. Lamb roast? The smell is vile...if anyone at the table orders it, my meal is ruined.

• Like 3

I recently bought a snack out of morbid curiosity that would doubtless elicit strong reactions from many of you. There were several packages in the discount bit at my local supermarket of...crunchy olives. (??!!!)

They turned out to be ripe black olives, dried to a raisin-like consistency (I know we lost some of you there) and then coated with a spicy, starchy crust, like beer nuts. They were...not bad...I guess...other than their fundamental weirdness.

• Like 3

Chocolate and orange. I like chocolate, I like orange, I like white chocolate + orange, I even like candied orange peels dipped in chocolate. But milk or dark chocolate flavoured with orange - gakk.

And bitter melon. My entire family loves it. I can't stand it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chromedome said:

.Except in an oatmeal cookie...chocolate has no place in an oatmeal cookie. Those were designed by God to contain raisins. :P

Amen.!

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Cilantro doesn't taste soapy to me...I just don't particularly like it, except in small amounts. I like black pepper, but it's easy to go too heavy on it, and that ruins a dish for me.

I like beets OK, and recognize the "dirt" taste, which I've found in other veggies. My daughter doesn't like field peas because they "taste like dirt." Well, yeah, they kinda do. But it's good dirt.

19 hours ago, dcarch said:

I have participated in many cooking competitions. It took me a long time to learn why I wasn't winning. Not many people like lamb.

After that, I had won a few. with pork, chicken, & beef.

I have never seen BBQ lamb cooking competitions.

dcarch 

Don't know if they have a lamb category or not, but in Owensboro, KY, their specialty is mutton barbecue. I've tried it, and found it nasty. I'm not a huge lamb fan, once you get past lamb stews or ground lamb that's heavily spiced, a la a Middle Eastern or North African dish.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My gripe is Maple Syrup, hate the stuff. Couple of decades ago I was visiting Florida with the family and friends. One morning we all trooped into a IHOP for breakfast and ordered, obviously, pancakes. I seem to recall someone pouring the maple syrup over mine. One mouthful and that was it. All I could taste then for the whole day was the syrup. I have been avoiding the smell of it ever since.

If you went to an IHOP in Florida, you certainly did not have maple syrup. They have "maple-flavored" syrup which is mostly corn syrup with fake maple flavor, which tastes nothing at all like maple syrup. I hope you someday get to try the real deal, it is delicious.

• Like 7

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

I literally like almost everything—excluding 'fake' stuff.. Although I do have preferences—we all do.

The one thing that absolutely despise is Canola oil—I absolutely HATE the stuff! 🤢

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

4 hours ago, munchymom said:

If you went to an IHOP in Florida, you certainly did not have maple syrup. They have "maple-flavored" syrup which is mostly corn syrup with fake maple flavor, which tastes nothing at all like maple syrup. I hope you someday get to try the real deal, it is delicious.

Years ago I was traveling with my then boss who wanted to stop at his cousin's restaurant for breakfast.  I ordered pancakes with "real maple syrup".  Of course what came was imitation maple syrup.  The meals were comped, I can't complain.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Am I crazy or did the IHOPs in So Cal have boysenberrry syrup? I remember this fondly as a kid in San Diego.

And I am with @Chimayo Joe on the no go with garlic mashed potatoes. Good mashed taters are so perfect, and the one and only time I ever had any at a fancy schmancy restaurant they dumped in so much garlic, and not the mellow roasted kind, that I have never tried them again. And to be clear, I love garlic, just not in my mashed potatoes. Maybe a little chives or green onion, but even then less is more.

I do like mint with chocolate and also orange.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <