• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mirlitons

fifi

I have a mirliton (aka chayote) question. My sister's mirliton vines are producing nicely. (Yes... She was a tad late planting them.) They got nipped a little the other night with our little cool spell but they are still cranking them out. We have noticed that some of them that have gotten "lost" in the greenery are starting to sprout while still on the vine.

Get to the question, you say. How would you go about holding over some for planting next spring? I mean, when it is time to plant them there aren't any around yet. Duh. My ex's aunt used to do something to start hers every year but I'll be darned if I remember what.

And isn't there some New Orleans tradition of planting them on some saint's day?

Recipe ideas beyond the shrimp stuffing would be welcome as well. We are covered up with these things.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

In the Caribbean, Mirletons are called "Christophines". Stuffed christophine with conch is a typical way to consume it. So if you can get some nice big clams and chop them up with some breadcrumb stuffing that would sort of approximate the dish.

Oyster stuffing is another way to go. I think Rachel had something along those lines at Jacquesimos last week.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thanks. I forgot about Christophenes. That gives me a new way to search in some of my books. Growing these things in New Orleans has an almost cult-like following and set of traditions, sort of like the creole tomatoes.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thanks. I forgot about Christophenes. That gives me a new way to search in some of my books. Growing these things in New Orleans has an almost cult-like following and set of traditions, sort of like the creole tomatoes.

I would treat stuffing these things like you would an eggplant or a pepper. Sausage, ground beef, seafood, etc.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Yes they grow pretty fast and make tons of fruit. When I was a kid we found that they made excellent projectiles for throwing at all manner of things, particularly siblings.

When I get home I will find you a couple of recipes and if I can't find a link to them somewhere, I will pm you. They are really good to eat, but you are right, most people just stuff em with shrimp and sauce em up and bake.

I have a recipe for some excellent merliton and crabmeat soup and for a ratatouille made with merlitons.

Look for them a.m.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Cho Cho Easter Bun

I will still send you my recipe, but I don't reckon I will have anything as exciting as as Cho Cho Easter Bunnies :biggrin::wink::biggrin:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

The Cho Cho looks like its a variant on Zucchini Bread. I bet you could take a regular zucchini bread recipe and substitute mirliton.

Better yet, grate up a ton of them and make mirliton fritters.

Damn... A recipe bonanza.

I was going to PM Jason with the secret to making that ultra dark roux for gumbo like he had at Commanders. Actually, I was going to offer him a deal involving those toaster bags. Now I may have to just give it to him. :wink:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Damn... A recipe bonanza.

I was going to PM Jason with the secret to making that ultra dark roux for gumbo like he had at Commanders. Actually, I was going to offer him a deal involving those toaster bags. Now I may have to just give it to him. :wink:

Ultra dark roux? Yes please!

Damn. I just found out it is spelled mirliton.

There is a fritter recipe on Food TV here from Emeril. Looks a little fiddly and I am not sure if you would ever know that mirlitons were in there.

We may try shreading some and making a latke type thingy.

Some will be stuffed with my ex's aunt's shrimp stuffing, put in the vacuum pack bags and into the freezer for winter time snacks. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

• 3 weeks later...

OK... We have harvested the mirlitons before our latest cold snap takes them out. Thanks to all for the recipe ideas.

Now I need some growing-them-next-year ideas. One of them that was sitting on the table as part of an arrangement has started to sprout. What do we do with that? Any gardeners out there? Is there any way to hold a few over for next year's planting?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

No gardening advice; I have a "black thumb." :sad:

But more on cooking them: The last few days I've just been shredding them and sauteeing the shreds in a hot pan with a little oil and seasonings. They smell like spring when you grate them; but give up a LOT of water. Last night we put them into our chicken tacos -- a very nice contrast against the spicy chicken and condiments.

A friend of mine has been eating them raw, shredded or juilienne, in salads and tacos. She also eats french fry sized sticks dipped in lemon or lime juice then chile powder for a snack. My sister has put julienned mirliton in spring rolls.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

fifi,

Mirliton's Botanical name is "Sechium edule". Use that for researching growing information.

Growing Chayote

Your best bet is to get a grow light. They're very inexpensive, less than $10 including the bulb.

Keep it 6-8 inches from the plant and keep it in a bright, warm area without draft if possible.

It will either live or die. Do not overwater, this is the most common reason for dead house plants.

Thanks for that cool link. I am calling my sister now and giving her the mulching instructions.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"