• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine and Chocolate

Hank

• 1 year later...
I recently attended a wine dinner where the last pairing was a chocolate dessert with a BIG Australian Shiraz.  I will look for my handouts and notes from that dinner and post back if I find the exact name of the wine.  The pairing was stupefyingly good, and was a bit of an epiphany for me personally.  It finally made me "get" the chocolate and red wine thing a bit more clearly.

The port suggestions and the Banyuls and Brachetto are all excellent choices as well.  I'm currently pairing a glass of Brachetto d'Acqui with our Molten Chocolate Torte for dessert and it never fails to cause sensuous noises from the diners.

I really like Shiraz, so I will have to try this. Please do share the name when you find it.

A Norton is excellent with a 72% chocolate!!

A winery near here has chocolates paired with their wines-3 different percentages paired with 3 different wines.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman