• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blenheim sodas

byrdhouse

I've known about this mail-order company for ten years. They principally make ginger ale, a product totally unlike anything what's available in stores. There are 4 varieties, hot, not-so-hot, diet, and ginger beer. The latter is nice but rather tame. (I've not tried the diet, but it would be nice to know, if someone else has.)

After my original few orders (which, with shipping, came to $1 a bottle), I tried their orange, strawberry, and grape sodas. The strawberry is simply delicious, with a good flavor, and nice sweet-tart balance. But all their stuff is superior, because they use beet sugar (maybe cane in the ginger beer). Here is a link that tells more, and gives their phone number: Blenheim Ginger Ale

For those who are wondering what to do with "hot" ginger ale, we serve it with Indian food. It has the perfect bite to stand up to a vindaloo or other intense flavor. BTW, if you have ever considered buying one of those "health food" ginger ales or beers, I can save you a lot of disappointment. But these folks in South Carolina do a great job.

I've had some before, its pretty awesome stuff.

You can also get it from Beveragesdirect.com (24 bottles with shipping cost)

for $36.

http://www.beveragesdirect.com/browse/detail/product-46.asp

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Another really good ginger ale is Vernor's:

http://www.beveragesdirect.com/browse/detail/product-463.asp

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

After my original few orders (which, with shipping, came to $1 a bottle)

So you got a whole case delivered for $1 a bottle with shipping? Thru Blenheim directly?

vernor's isn't even the same class as blenheim's- the hot gingerale will knock your socks off!

Yeah, I've had that one. I prefer the not-so-hot one. I don't think soft drinks should ever make you feel hotter, it should cool you down. Especially if you are having it with spicy food.

So you got a whole case delivered for $1 a bottle with shipping? Thru Blenheim directly?

Yes, Master Jason, but it's been a few years, because we bought 6 cases to save on shipping, and we don't drink it that often. Personally, I'd be happy with half again that much, but perhaps others want something with a lower cost-per-bottle.

I don't disagree with your remark about not wanting a soft drink to be too intense, but that's not how soft drinks are around our house: we rarely drink them as a casual beverage, and in such cases I wouldn't recommend the "hot" Blenheims.

That said, we've had great success serving it with everything from Sezchuan to Thai, Turkish to Morrocan. Even when culinary flavors are subtle, there seems to be a need for a beverage that is neither beer, wine, or tea. (Well, intense, chilled, mint tea is another matter, but it's a project to be added to the already considerable work of making a Mid-Eastern meal.) For those who find the "hot" too much, I'd suggest what we often do - serve a chilled mug and let guests pour from bottles of "Hot" and "Less Hot." (Likewise, I'd consider it rude to go to India and order milk-toast.)

One caution about any of the Blenheim ginger ales: whatever you do, do not, repeat NOT, inhale while you are sipping. The resultant rush of ginger into the nasal membranes is intense.

I, for one, do not subscribe to the "macho" philosophy of dining; food should not be obstructed by spice, whether chile, ginger, or other. Many people who claim to adore the habanero chile level of heat I suspect are those who've never come to enjoy a catholiciity of flavors. I don't think Blenheim needs to be treated as a challenge; it is simply a singular, very pure product which should be used with discretion. Try it diluted with club soda, or perhaps sip it as you would cognac.

One caution about any of the Blenheim ginger ales: whatever you do, do not, repeat NOT, inhale while you are sipping. The resultant rush of ginger into the nasal membranes is intense.

Yeah, I did this with the hot one the first time I ever tried a Blenheim. It was the most intense sneeze I've ever had. I thought my brains shot out of my nose.

• 3 months later...

Blenheim's hot has played an oddly significant role in my life. Dh loves it...I'm sorta meh on it. It actually is too hot for me to enjoy. Like my friend Andrew's stance on cashews, I only consume it for the nostalgia factor.

I do like my food to be obnoxiously spicy, tho.

Gourmet Anarchy

• 2 months later...

As a native South Carolinean, Blenheim may be the best export product that South Carolina has...(BMWs and general antipathy follow further back).

Blenheim is especially good with bourbon or rum (esp. a Dark Rum).

I think Charles Kuralt did a piece on it back in the 70s that I have seen on Cable which was evocative of Blenheim and all things Dillon Co.

Speaking of Dillon County, South of the Border, the tourist scion, now owns the botteling plant that makes this ginger ale. So now they are the largest (and maybe only) employer of Dillon Co.

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"

On another note, I've thought of using the hot version for cooking, but never got around to it. For example, Dr. Pepper and Coca Cola are used in a number of so-called "Southern" recipes. I can imagine you'd get an interesting flavor if you started using Blenheim hot.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Excuse me for having a dialogue with myself, but I was just perusing the menu for Chapel Hill's Lantern restaurant (I'm eating there next week), and noticed this on the dessert menu:

Dark & stormy float - rum ice cream with Blenheim’s spicy ginger ale and fresh ginger-rum syrup

That's a start!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

On another note, I've thought of using the hot version for cooking, but never got around to it.  For example, Dr. Pepper and Coca Cola are used in a number of so-called "Southern" recipes.  I can imagine you'd get an interesting flavor if you started using Blenheim hot.

Ronni Lundy has some suggestions for Blenheim gingerale in her book: Butterbeans to Blackberries.

Nice book overall actually... (Amazon-egullet link): Butter Beans to Blackberries

Some are:

drink wtih fresh boiled peanuts

carrots glaze in orange marmalade and Blenheim's

Cook peeled sweet potatoes in a mix of Blenheim's and butter until glazed

Marinate a pork roast

She also has a recipe for a "congealed salad" or gelatin dish that I just may try: it has yogurt, ginger ale, gelatin, grapefruits, honey and lime juice...

Her favorite way though is... mixed with Bourbon over ice; perhaps with a mint garnish.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Varmint asks:

Is the hot version better when mixed with bourbon or rum, or should you play it safe with the mild?

Not a rum drinker, so can't speak to that, but when it comes to bourbon: go hot. Two fingers of good bourbon, add ice, fill with Blenheim's Old #3 Hot. Best bourbon-and-ginger you ever tasted.

Also, I totally agree with the poster who recommended Blenheim's with hot and spicy foods. It's wonderful with Szechuan, Thai, Indian...

It's also pretty great with a country ham biscuit.

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

• 1 month later...

I picked up 3 cases of Blenheim's at South of the Border this past weekend. Strangely enough, the family who owns SOTB also owns Blenheims, so you can find it there at $12.95 a case.

My current drink of the summer is to muddle some mint at the bottom of a tall glass (pint-sized) and add some ice. Add a couple ounces of agave tequila, about 4 ounces of fresh lemonade, and then about 8 ounces of Blenheim's hot. Damn, that's a fine summer drink.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

One of my very favorite quotes on eG came from you, Varmint, about Blenheim's in the southern beverages thread:

I recently gave Fat Guy some of the hot Blenheim's as well as some of its milder sibling. I informed him that the red-top was spicy, but being the tough guy that he is, he poured a bottle into a glass of ice, took a big swig, and yelled out, "MOTHERFUCKER!!!!" After his skin tones returned to a normal hue, he continued to sip his ginger ale, praising its merits. It was a very nice scene.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had the pleasure of Blenheims and rum, though rum and ginger is one of my favorite drinks. I'm going to be going to SC later this year and will keep an eye out for the hot and mild versions. Can't wait for a new cocktail.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 3 weeks later...