• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What local food you miss most . . .

skchai

And Herbicidal, what's important about the rice in Hawaii (and I didn't know about the talc until Wesza chipped in) is that is medium short grain and sticks together. It's not the long grain, fluffy-style rice preferred on the mainland. If you are buying (say) a jasmine-style Thai rice you would not be able to prepare the rice favored in Hawaii. Incidentally these rices are exported to Japan.

i still don't understand.

so it isn't uncle ben's, or some long-grained variant.

AFAIK, most rice that chinese use, including jasmine rice from Thailand, sticks together.

i would guess this about japanese rice as well, although my limited experience is mostly with sushi.

What is different about this particular, short-grain, sticky rice?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Yes, Wesza, I am in crying need of a therapeutic trip to the islands. I never realized how much I would miss them. And thanks for the comments on oxtail soup. You are much more expert than I am but although I can see the Korean input, I don't quite get the Okinawan input since I associate Okinawan food so much with pork. But that probably shows how little I know. In any case it's a wonderful soup and I loved being able to get it everywhere as you say.

And what are the Mexican peaches you are talking about? I'm going to the US soon and could send you some. What I think of are the small peaches in syrup that are so much tastier than the canned peaches in the US.

And Herbicidal, what's important about the rice in Hawaii (and I didn't know about the talc until Wesza chipped in) is that is medium short grain and sticks together. It's not the long grain, fluffy-style rice preferred on the mainland. If you are buying (say) a jasmine-style Thai rice you would not be able to prepare the rice favored in Hawaii. Incidentally these rices are exported to Japan.

Sun-Ki, you have one lucky family food-wise. As for shave ice, I brought a tiny hand-cranked shave ice machine with me to Mexico but it only works for one or two servings.

What else? Well that will have to wait for another day,

Rachel

Caroline: Thank you for responding about the Peaches.

These were Peaches covered with a Black Ash that you peeled off leaving a cured, Delicious Ripe Peach that preserved it's essence. My wife had had them in Mexico City and brought them back to Honolulu as a treat.

She thought that they were preserved with Wood Ash that at that time we didn't know was the original name for Lye.

I've never had them before or since but my wife brought to my attention about 16 years ago a quote about them from a book or maybe a article by Diane Kennedy. Since her Books and any Articles we save are stored in unlabeled cartons I haven't dug them out.

I feel that many of the foods that have became generally popular in Hawaii served in Restaurants were popularized by the Okinawans who operated the majority of Drive Inns and Restaurants for many years. IE: Zippy's, Colombia Inn, Flamingo's Etc.

Wonder if your surprised that Salsa has become more popular the Ketchup ?

Be carefull or we are going to give you credit for this happening. As we've been comtomplating for attributing Terriyaki's popularity. :laugh::biggrin:

Have you ever considered relocating to Seattle as we need to find something new to become popular beside Grunge and Coffee. The trends seem to go wherever you are at the time. :rolleyes:

Another item that I sometime miss is the ever popular tuna added to Macoroni Salad that used to be regular with Plate Lunches but appears to be dissapearing. Wonder if this is because there isn't any Tuna being canned anymore in Honolulu ?

Irwin :blink:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I feel that many of the foods that have became generally popular in Hawaii served in Restaurants were popularized by the Okinawans who operated the majority of Drive Inns and Restaurants for many years. IE: Zippy's, Colombia Inn, Flamingo's Etc.

At the Okinawan Festival a few months back (held in conjunction with the World Uchinanchu Conference), there was an exhibit called the "Hawaii Okinawan Restaurant Project". It told in detail, and with plenty of old photographs, the history of Okinawan-run restaurants in Hawai`i up until the late 1950s. Wish they had a web site so I could point you to it . . .

Another item that I sometime miss is the ever popular tuna added to Macoroni Salad that used to be regular with Plate Lunches but appears to be dissapearing. Wonder if this is because there isn't any Tuna being canned anymore in Honolulu ?

I noticed this too - don't really have any answer myself why this is happening. One other change I noticed recently is increasing appearance of potatoes in mac salad. Don't have an explanation for that, either. . . Actually, my personal dream is to have the mac salad dethroned as the sole side dish on some plate lunch menus, and have it replaced by a wider range of alternatives. . .

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

Herbacidal, Let me have one more go at rice in Hawaii. Yes, it is rice East Asian style that sticks together. In Hawaii it is ALWAYS available. We're talking about foods we miss and even on the mainland you can only get this if you go to an Asian restaurant. In Mexico, where I live, just forget it.

But people in Hawaii are very picky about rice. Jasmin rice is longer grained and has a stronger flavor. And (correct me if I am wrong Sun-Ki and Wesza) people in the islands also notice the difference between rice cooked Japanese style and rice cooked Chinese style.

Sun-Ki and Wesza. How I wish that it were possible to access that story of Okinawan restaurants. But I am forwarding what you have sent to a young woman I met in Argentina. She is third-generation Okinawan , an anthropologist, and keenly interested in how Okinawans adapted to/contributed to new traditions in new places.

And Wesza, your peaches are ready. Send me an email or personal message and I'll send them off to you when I get to the mainland next month. They may not be what you remembered but they are good. And consider moving to Mexico. We badly need some of the skills you have with restaurants!

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

Herbacidal, Let me have one more go at rice in Hawaii. Yes, it is rice East Asian style that sticks together. In Hawaii it is ALWAYS available. We're talking about foods we miss and even on the mainland you can only get this if you go to an Asian restaurant. In Mexico, where I live, just forget it.

But people in Hawaii are very picky about rice. Jasmin rice is longer grained and has a stronger flavor. And (correct me if I am wrong Sun-Ki and Wesza) people in the islands also notice the difference between rice cooked Japanese style and rice cooked Chinese style.

Ok, I think I understand. I just don't notice the non-sticky rice as much b/c at home or when I eat rice out in Asian restaurants, it's always sticky.

The few times I notice non-sticky rice, it's not really supposed to be sticky.

Latino, Indian, etc.

Can't say that I've ever had rice cooked Japanese style.

Hmm. something else to put on the list.

I've never noticed the difference in jasmine rice, but truthfully, my taste buds aren't as strong as a lot people.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I noticed that several poster have mentioned "PipiKula" as being smoked, but I remember it as being Salted and Dried.

I have probably mentioned pipi kaula a few times, and looking at various recipes and references, I see that smoking is not the norm, as you say. Although our family occasionally had commercially prepared versions, the meat that I remember (and crave the most!) was homemade, smoked and the maker's family called it pipi kaula. Just a misnomer, I guess. Thanks for the opportunity to clarify, Irwin.

FWIW, everyday rice in Hawaii is essentially Japanese sushi rice in texture, maybe a touch more moist than for sushi, but without any seasoning or vinegar. I'm not sure where you are, but a brand like Nishiki or Kokuho Rose in addition to the ones caroline mentioned would be right. I find that rice at Chinese restaurants (at least in LA) has much more separate grains, and often has the flowered texture I associate with a longer grain variety.

Edited by FoodZealot (log)

. . . Jasmin rice is longer grained and has a stronger flavor.  And (correct me if I am wrong Sun-Ki and Wesza) people in the islands also notice the difference between rice cooked Japanese style and rice cooked Chinese style.

You're right, Rachel. Rice, at least the rice that is normally served in Chinese restaurants here, is a non-fragrant long grain, while as you mention, Japanese-style rice is typically medium-grain (Calrose or New Variety Calrose in the U.S.) Within China itself, people depending on region eat different varieties, running the gamut from short-grain (pearl) to medium and long-grain.

Sun-Ki and Wesza.  How I wish that it were possible to access that story of Okinawan restaurants.  But I am forwarding what you have sent to a young woman I met in Argentina.  She is third-generation Okinawan , an anthropologist, and keenly interested in how Okinawans adapted to/contributed to new traditions in new places.

If it is any help to her, the "Okinawan Restaurant Project" was co-sponsored by the Hawaii United Okinawa Association and the Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaii. Much of the money for the project was given by the Teruya family, former owners of Teruya's Restaurant on River St. (now Uptown Cafe). What I saw was the "Phase I" project, which is supposed to be succeeded by a "Phase II".

Sun-Ki Chai

Former Hawaii Forum Host

Thanks Sun-Ki, I'll pass the information along.

And if Herbicidal is still checking the thread, one more word on rice. Most of us in the US are rice ignoramuses. We are learning lots about great breads. But we don't discern the fine differences between Japanese and Chinese rice, young and old rice, different brands of rice. Not surprising when the shelves are loaded with rice-a-roni and Uncle Ben's. Good rice is grown in the US but it goes to those who know. And they are very very picky. I had a journalist friend in Hawaii, Japanese-American, who had won all kinds of scholarships and prizes. But when her parents came to visit, she fretted endlessly about her inability to cook their rice to exactly the right point,

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

Thanks Sun-Ki, I'll pass the information along.

And if Herbicidal is still checking the thread, one more word on rice. Most of us in the US are rice ignoramuses. We are learning lots about great breads. But we don't discern the fine differences between Japanese and Chinese rice, young and old rice, different brands of rice. Not surprising when the shelves are loaded with rice-a-roni and Uncle Ben's. Good rice is grown in the US but it goes to those who know. And they are very very picky. I had a journalist friend in Hawaii, Japanese-American, who had won all kinds of scholarships and prizes. But when her parents came to visit, she fretted endlessly about her inability to cook their rice to exactly the right point,

Rachel

I had a unusual experience with Rice when we opened Lindy's in Hong Kong.

One of the partners advised me that if I wanted to provide American customers with something that they missed I should order with our other imports Uncle Bens Rice because he was positive everyone else missed the taste.

We had no difficulty with all the items we imported except one. UNCLE BENS RICE.

Appearently in Hong Kong the only food item the Government keep track of was Rice as it was considered the major food import and was the only commodity that was tracked and wharehoused to be sure that there was emergency supplies to sustain the population thru typhoons or any contigiency.

Import of Rice required licences, doucumentation and storage in assigned warehouses.

When they verified that we had only imported 200 pounds they were bewildered as most rice imoports were for a minimum of 25 metric tons.

What they allowed us to do was to adjust the import documentation to classify our Uncle Bens as a personal sample.

It was even more funny when we introduced our Kitchen Staff to the Rice Product.

They looked at the package with the picture of Uncle Ben, opened the bag, ran it thru their fingers sort of bewildered.

Then I did ademonstration of the Cooking Procedure following the instructions on the Bag with someone translating.

After we Cooked the Rice we served it into Bowls and did a tasting. The Rice seemed strange to them and when I suggested it would taste better if we added Butter they really looked at me strangely.

The Chef showed me that we didn't require a recipe just needed to measure the Amount of water mixed with the rice by using the first joint of the forefinger. Also said why didn't we prewash the rice to clean it and remove powdered starch. Why did it keep seperate, no matter what we did with it? Why didn't it taste like Rice?

He set up with the translator to meet the next day with me to go to a RIce Shop.

Actually we visited 3 Rice Shops where each shop had in Bins over 100 varieties of Rice. Appearently Hong Kongs most popular Rice's were Long Grain Varieties from Alabamaha, Texas and the Carolinas.

We served Rice Hong Kong Chinese Style and used up the Uncle Bens in Stuffed Cabbage Rolls.

One thing was interesting as we had many visits from Chinese and European Chefs from other Restaurants who came especially to check out the funny kinds of Rice.

Irwin :biggrin:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I'll second that. You definitely should write your memoirs, Irwin.

Your mention of Uncle Ben's reminds me of the piece of propaganda that the South Korean state-affiliated station KBS ran one time when the trade walls "protecting" Korean consumers against foreign rice were starting to come down a few years ago.

They put a bunch of farmers in a room with bowls of Korean rice and U.S. rice side-by-side, and asked them to do a "blind" taste test. From the farmers' comments, it was obvious that the U.S. rice was something like Uncle Ben's - they were gagging and disgusted that the rice was dry and crumbly. The announcer then proudly stated something to the effect that now we know why Korean rice is the best! They didn't bother to mention that there might be more than one kind of rice produced in the the U.S. . .

Sun-Ki Chai

Former Hawaii Forum Host

• 1 month later...

:wub: Hi, I'm new to this wonderful site. Been in Vegas now since 1995 and counting the days until I have enough money to move back home. Just wanted to add what local food I missed the most. I actually keep a dynamic list of the places I have to go to whenever I visit Hawaii and update it with reviews from newspapers, websites and most importantly, word of mouth. Until I fulfill my dream of moving back "home", I'll just have to daydream about these goodies in the meantime....

Bale Sandwich - already mentioned but worth mentioning again. I've been a fan since its inception and have been scratching my head as to why one hasn't opened up here in Vegas.

Rainbow Cake - from Dee Lite Bakery (I think its Saint-Germaines now)

Zippy's Spaghetti and Meat Sauce - I have cravings for this it's crazy! Also their jello cream squares, dream cake, and strawberry guava chiffon cake, lilikoi drink

Li Hing Mui Shave Ice at the Waiola store - the store of my childhood with the best shave ice around

Char Sui Bao/Manapua -downtown Chinatown - cheap and ono!

Pork Hash/Fried Mandoo - little store by Washington Intermediate (I don't remember the name of it but it's close to King st. and McCully by the old japanese school)

Leonard's Malasadas - I will try Champions during my next trip!

Garlic Shrimp from the Giovanni Shrimp Trucks on the way to North Shore

Spam Musubi from the little store by Kawananakoa Intermediate School (sorry if my memory fails me..does Highlands ring a bell anyone?)

Hale Vietnam - the best vietnamese food around. I had a mini graduation dinner there in 1992.

McDonald's Portuguese Sausage, Eggs and Rice....I guess it's just tradition for me!

Bubbies Ice Cream and Lappert's - for the best flavors of ice cream around!

By the way....I used to date the nephew of Chicken Alice's and enjoyed their wonderful food for over four years. In fact, that's how my love for Korean food began. The last I heard they gave their recipes to another korean plate lunch restaurant at Pearl Kai Camellia. It was such a long time ago but if anyone is aware of where I can find the same type of spicy korean fried chicken, please let me know. Even a recipe would suffice!

Aloha!!

That's a great list smartcookie - welcome to our little forum! Hope you make it back from Vegas one of these days. . . Though so many local people visit Vegas it must seem at least a little bit like home.

Zippy's Spaghetti and Meat Sauce - I have cravings for this it's crazy!  Also their jello cream squares, dream cake, and strawberry guava chiffon cake, lilikoi drink

Have to admit I've actually never tried Zippy's Spaghetti - I always go for the zippac or the chili. What's different about the spaghetti compared to the kind you get elsewhere?

Li Hing Mui Shave Ice at the Waiola store - the store of my childhood with the best shave ice around

Was just there last week with my daughter. People still line up outside the small window to get their own personal customized version shaved ice - the li hing mui, lilikoi cream, azuki bowl, and just about every combination you can think of.

McDonald's Portuguese Sausage, Eggs and Rice....I guess it's just tradition for me!

And now they have Spam, too. . .

By the way....I used to date the nephew of Chicken Alice's and enjoyed their wonderful food for over four years.  In fact, that's how my love for Korean food began.  The last I heard they gave their recipes to another korean plate lunch restaurant at Pearl Kai Camellia.  It was such a long time ago but if anyone is aware of where I can find the same type of spicy korean fried chicken, please let me know.  Even a recipe would suffice!

They have Korean Chicken at a number of different places now - it's become a standard plate lunch item. I hope we can track down Chicken Alice one of these days and find out how she originated the dish. . .

Sun-Ki Chai

Former Hawaii Forum Host

This is particularly for you guys who are now away from the islands, temporarily or for a longer periods.    Is there anything that you can't get there that you really want? 

If you could think of a dream CARE package, what would it contain?

When you visit Hawai`i after a long time away, what is the first thing you want to eat?

My dream care package would contain Manapua, Lomi Salmon, Limu Poke, Poi Mochi, Bod Bod, Dinuguan (sp), Hawaiian Sea Salt, Malassadas, Hawaiian Sun Juices, Guava Jellies and Jams, more Kona Coffee (I drink KC every morning!)...there's more but I can't think of it right now! :laugh:

L

Welcome to eGullet, Elle, and thanks for the list!

I was particularly interested in the Dinuguan and Bod Bod. I have to confess I don't know what Bod Bod is - could you tell me a little bit more about it?

Also, isn't Dinuguan pig blood stew? Is there some form of it that could be stored in a care package? Just wondering. . .

Thanks for the link, Pake. I really like Tony Chang's columns at the Road Runner site. They're well-researched and full of information. It had been a while since he put any new ones up, so it was nice to see him posting again recently.

Sun-Ki Chai

Former Hawaii Forum Host

Welcome to eGullet, Elle, and thanks for the list! 

I was particularly interested in the Dinuguan and Bod Bod.  I have to confess I don't know what Bod Bod is - could you tell me a little bit more about it?

Also, isn't Dinuguan pig blood stew?  Is there some form of it that could be stored in a care package?  Just wondering. . .

Thanks for the link, Pake.  I really like Tony Chang's columns at the Road Runner site.  They're well-researched and full of information.  It had been a while since he put any new ones up, so it was nice to see him posting again recently.

Mahalo for the welcome!

I'm not sure on the spelling of bod bod....but its a filipino dessert...purple colored rice wrapped in banana leaves...reminds me of mochi. I wish I could find a recipe for it online....maybe I'm not looking hard enough! :rolleyes:

As for Dinuguan, yes, it's pig's blood stew! Don't know if it could be stored in some form of care package but if my ohana back on Oahu had a vacuum packaging system, I bet it could be sent!!

• 2 weeks later...