• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pumpkin in Germany?

I'm going to be in Bochum, Germany for 3 months, beginning in early December. I would really like to make some of my pumpkin bread for my bf's family, but when I asked him if they had sugar pumpkin available, he said he didn't think so. I believe he asked at one or two stores, but they all said no.

So, I'm curious, have any of you seen pumpkin in Germany? Or, do you have any idea what is available there that might substitute well?

I really appreciate it! :cool:

In Styria in Southeastern Austria and adjacent parts of Slovenia, and Hungary they raise a certain variety of pumpkin which is used to create pumpkin seed oil. This is (obviously) made from the seeds which are hand harvested then roasted and pressed, and I think the flesh is left to rot in the fields and turn into mulch, of sorts.

Like this:

field.jpg

then this:

harvest.jpg

Clearly this is a different varietal, and I don't believe that pumpkin is thought of as a vegetable in that part of Europe in quite the same way as it is in Latin America or the United States, for example. For your purposes I think you're better off packing a few cans of pumpkin and making your bread from that.

On a separate note, Styrian pumpkin seed oil is absolutely delicious and has numerous scentifically based curative powers. It is powerfully antioxidant, rich in vitamins, minerals, unsturated fat and supposedly good for women's bladder health, men's prostate health and boosting of the immune system. It is available on the net, and although not inexpensive, well worth it's weight in costs. A little goes a long way. It's quite nutty tasting, great for a very simple vinaigrette, drizzled into soups, drizzled over charcuterie (it's served over a head cheese type meat product in Austria - yech!), or even mixed into scrambled eggs. Not good for cooking as it has a low smoke point, but great for anywhere that a strong nutty flavor would be welcome.

Canned pumpkin is almost as good as the real thing, particularly for your application, so I think your time may be better served exploring a new place and getting to know the BF's family rather than hunting down an elusive sugar pumpkin!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

So, I'm curious, have any of you seen pumpkin in Germany? Or, do you have any idea what is available there that might substitute well?

Hi,

I have to admit I'm not really sure what sugar pumpkin is, but I've seen several pumpkin in my local Supermarket (I live in Thuringia, eastern Germany): Hokkaido mainly and big Halloween ones. The big halloween hybrids have disappeared from the shops while there's still some Hokkaido on offer. Consider that in bigger cities the offer is probably better.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Hey! I appreciate the thoughtful replies. :smile:

Yes, I believe I will just pack a couple of cans of pumpkin to bring with me. It's cooked, so it should be okay to take overseas.

I can always fall back on making American-style chocolate chip cookies, with the peanut butter chips I'm bringing along. They really seemed to like those last time. :raz:

Thanks again, you two! (hmm pumpkin seed oil..)

In Styria in Southeastern Austria and adjacent parts of Slovenia, and Hungary they raise a certain variety of pumpkin which is used to create pumpkin seed oil. This is (obviously) made from the seeds which are hand harvested then roasted and pressed, and I think the flesh is left to rot in the fields and turn into mulch, of sorts.

Clearly this is a different varietal, and I don't believe that pumpkin is thought of as a vegetable in that part of Europe in quite the same way as it is in Latin America or the United States, for example. For your purposes I think you're better off packing a few cans of pumpkin and making your bread from that.

On a separate note, Styrian pumpkin seed oil is absolutely delicious and has numerous scentifically based curative powers.

It is available on the net, and although not inexpensive, well worth it's weight in costs. A little goes a long way. It's quite nutty tasting, great for a very simple vinaigrette, drizzled into soups, drizzled over charcuterie (it's served over a head cheese type meat product in Austria - yech!), or even mixed into scrambled eggs.

Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil (or Kern Ol, put an umlaut over the 'o') from Austria is really tasty. My grandparents live in Styria and one of the missions for any family member returning from a visit is to bring back as much as they can carry! I grew up having this on all green salads, greens beans, cucumbers, etc. It is nice to see it available over here in the last few years although the price is dear.

I think you're right that people don't eat too much pumpkin out there ('pig food', along w/corn---except when you roast it out on the farm). BUT, in the open air markets in Graz they do have some type of squash they sell that is similar to butternut or pumpkin. Typically it is sold already peeled, cut into long strips and bagged. My grandmother uses it to make a type of sauce with dumplings.

Well--I couldn't resist replying since this has been a food specialty I grew up with that you don't see too much over here.

In Austria, I think this pumpkin seed oil is primarily from Styria. Does anyone know if they make it in Germany as well?

Sorry for being off topic to your original question--but based on what I know I agree that bringing cans of pumpkin along would be the safest. Unless we hear differently from someone in Deutschland...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Ludja:

My Evil Ex is Austrian so I always brought back as much of the Pumpkin Seed Oil (as well as as many bottles of wine that I could bubble wrap and slip between my clothes!) as I could carry as well.

I'd forgotten about the Cucumber Salad! Thanks for reminding me. I might be having this fordinner tonight!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Ludja:

My Evil Ex is Austrian so I always brought back as much of the Pumpkin Seed Oil (as well as as many bottles of wine that I could bubble wrap and slip between my clothes!) as I could carry as well.

I'd forgotten about the Cucumber Salad! Thanks for reminding me.  I might be having this fordinner tonight!

Hi KatieLoeb:

Glad I could bring back some good food memories (sorry about the evil ex)...

You and Cakewench have both inspired me in turn. I'm having some friends over for dinner tonight and planned on:

Spinach Soup

Wienerschnitzel

Spatzle w/Mushroom Sauce

and now... Cucumber Salad w/Kern Ol!

I don't cook Austrian food enough (to keep in real good practice; still call up my Mom for pointers...) so it's funny to run across this thread today.

Thanks both for the inspiration!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

• 4 months later...

In the east of Slovejnia (Stajerska, which is Styria in Slovene) this oil is seen as a firm element of regional identity, and to dress your salad with olive or sunflower as they do in the west is a heinous crime. The seeds are delicious roasted btw. The pumpkins are often fed to pigs, but many are left to rot. They are not worth eating, but there are other varieties in central Europe. You should find some decent squash.

Hi all,

at pumpkinseedoil.cc you'll find recipes and can order the tasty pumpkin seed oil almost anywhere in the world.

Here you go:

pumpkinseedoil.cc - tasty austrian pumpkinseed oil

www.pumpkinseedoil.cc

Thanks for the link; I think it got corrupted in your post; here's the link for the same thread:

retail austrian pumpkin seed oil

There is a placemarker for pumpkinseed oil recipes but no recipes listed yet...

Unfortunately it is expensive; for the top grade oil (first press; not diluted with other oils) it is $35.00 or 20 pounds per liter.