• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Border Grill

MHesse

I'm in LA (Venice) for a few days around Thanksgiving. Is Border Grill in Santa Monica worth a visit, or is it hype and to be seen place? Just curious. Menu seems good.

thanks

(also hope to make it to Langers for pastrami if I venture downtown).

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

if you like "mexican" food, it's decent enough. i was surprised to find the menu rather reserved, with nothing all that exciting or out of the ordinary. i've only been there once, and i was also at the BG in vegas. i probably wouldn't return for a "real" dinner, but they are both fun with friends.

i would, however, recommend reservations, as i recall waiting for upwards of an hour at the very crowded bar for a four top. and if you do that and drink margaritas, you may not remember all that much about the meal. kinda like me.

I stopped in the Border Grille for a look around while in the neighborhood. Looked like a fun place for a group, as Tommy said, but not that special. So I forwent Mexican this visit. I did have very good meals at Sushi Roku and Chinois on Main.

--mark

a better place in venice for mexican would be la cabana on the corner of lincoln and rose. i especially recommend the carne adobada. they also make a mean cadillac margarita.

casablanca across the way on lincoln provides more of a kitschy than culinary kick but they do have the most amazing thin fresh tortillas.

or in santa monica--on pico between 4th and bay (right by vidiots)--there's a decent oaxacan place named el texate. i used to get their goat burrito.

however, if you're looking for more of a scene none of these places would be for you.

I've been to La Cabana and can vouch for it's goodness. Didn't make it there this trip, but will re-visit in the future.

My interest in BG was to taste what Fenniger and Milliken's food tasted like. I suppose Sushi Roku and Chinois are both scenes, but I went for the food. Wasn't disappointed.

--mark

I will dissent here--I like the Border Grill. The food is fresh and good, and it is fun. The best way to go is for lunch or an afternoon snack. (No waits!) Sit at the bar, grink a margarita, and get the soft tacos and whatever appetizer special they have. Yum! Then you can save dinner for a more distinguished spot. (Be warned that the portions on the entrees are huge--stick with apps or just share.)

How about La Serenata di Garibaldi right across the street? I used to go there a lot--the food is Mexico City style, not a scene at all.

Where will you be eating in Venice???