• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch near the Javits Center

clg

My cousin will be in town next week for a dental show at the Javits Center and wants to meet up for lunch someplace nearby (if possible).... we'd like someplace in the >$30 range for food and perferably italian or american/new american. Any ideas?

I saw a thread on this topic from 2001 but there were no useful suggestions -- perhaps that's changed in the past 2 years (though I'm not holding my breath).

Thanks!

My office used to be right in that area and there is still nothing. Within a few blocks there is a Mc Donalds, Gold Rush (Burger and Beer joint where the Firepeople hang out), La Mensa Pizza (eh), a poor italian place on the north side of 34th x 9th and 10th and thats about it. I suggest you go a bit further to Koreatown; it is the best local option. Oh yeah there are a few diners around 34th and 9th too.

One of the places we talked about at the BC gathering yesterday was Turkish Cuisine, on 9 Av. between 44th and 45th. It's both just a little far and not in either of your preferred categories, but you might consider it, anyway.

The problem with the location of the Javits Center is that, last I checked (which, truth be told, is some time ago - most New Yorkers have very little cause to frequent the area) few people live in the area and it's therefore a near wasteland for businesses.

One caution (or selling point?) regarding Landmark Tavern: They allow smoking in the bar, although it's illegal to smoke in bars in New York nowadays.

Michael aka "Pan"

I'll be curious to hear what kind of service you get there. They did almost everything but throw us out the door while we were still eating - not because we did anything obnoxious or were really slow, but just because they wanted to turn the table. Those schmucks will never see me again.

Michael aka "Pan"

I'll be curious to hear what kind of service you get there. They did almost everything but throw us out the door while we were still eating - not because we did anything obnoxious or were really slow, but just because they wanted to turn the table. Those schmucks will never see me again.

Yikes -- that sounds horrible. I've never been but I had read some good things about their food and my cousin requested Greek. I'd prefer Pelagos on the UWS but that's significantly further away from the Javits Center. Is there a different Greek restaurant you'd recommend in the area? I went to Gus's Figs Bistro a while ago but didn't think it was all that spectacular.

The food was in fact good at Uncle Nick's. I regret that I don't know other Greek restaurants in the area. Poseidon is a nice Greek bakery, though. :laugh: West side of 9th Av. between 43rd and 44th Sts.

Michael aka "Pan"

Well, Pan, as you know, we've been to Uncle Nick's too many times to count and, not that they ever smother us with love and kisses, :biggrin: but we have never run into any service problems and definitely nothing like what happened to you.

clg Posted on Nov 29 2003, 01:50 PM

Is there a different Greek restaurant you'd recommend in the area? I went to Gus's Figs Bistro a while ago but didn't think it was all that spectacular.

clg, If Pan has sufficiently scared you off Uncle Nick's, :raz: there is Molyvos. It's on 7th Av., between 55th & 56th Sts. Very good food. Quite a bit more expensive than Uncle Nick's. And, btw, Gus' Figs has closed.

• 1 year later...

I'll be in town briefly for a conference at Javits next week, so I was hoping to find a good lunch spot myself. Sounds like a wasteland, so how bout something on the way back to Penn Station where I'll catch a train back to DC?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

There's Mitchell London on 9th and 35th or 36th. It's just two blocks east of Javits.

There's the famous Starwich place, on 42nd between 10th and 11th.

There's a nice restaurant on the corner of 10th and 44th. It doesn't seem to have a name, but don't let that stop you.

Wasteland? That's my neighborhod! :raz: And no, we do NOT need a stadium, thank you very much.

I'll be in town briefly for a conference at Javits next week, so I was hoping to find a good lunch spot myself. Sounds like a wasteland, so how bout something on the way back to Penn Station where I'll catch a train back to DC?

A DEFINITE wastland; if you can, get over to Le Madeleine, on 43rd just West of 9th Ave; Terrific lunch, beautiful room with a skylight. Le Madeleine Web Site

Mitchell London is good, as is Salon Mexico (modest place with great food) on Ninth Ave. at 38th, or you could try Tir Na N'og, a nice Irish bar/restaurant on Eight Avenue at 33rd St. (across the street from Penn).

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

I have to put in a good word for Uncle Nick's. I love the place and the food, and make a point of going there whenever I'm at the Javits or in midtown. I've taken groups. kids, etc. and have never had a bad experience. Lots of fun, and don't miss the flaming saganaki.

Yes. Go to Little Korea. Here are some useful threads for you, in mostly reverse chronological order:

Best Korean in Manhattan?

Yangpyung Seoul Haejanguk Restaurant

Seoul Garden Restaurant

Han Bat

Woo Chon

Gam Mee Ok

Cho Dang Gol

Kang Suh, Birthday dinner

I'll be happy to compare and contrast some of these places for you if you decide to go for Korean.

Michael aka "Pan"

I have hiked over to Frico Bar 402 W43rd during a show at the Javits ....its one of Joe Bastianich's places

T

unfortunately it was during the fancy food show eating a full lunch was a baaaaad idea :blink:

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Also, now that I think of it, Chelsea Market is not too far from the Javits Center either (depending on your time frame, of course.) It's not more than a 15-20 minute walk. It's on 9th Ave. and 15th Street, but there's also a 10th Ave. entrance. Not more than a mile from Javits, heading south. And that offers quite a few decent eating establishments to you.

• 1 year later...

I'm coming into the city for the auto show on Saturday and don't want to do just a hot dog and pretzel for lunch. I'm in the mood for anything quick, ethnic, and decent; not too expensive if possible. Is there anything good within a few blocks of the Javits Center? I'll be walking it from the Herald Square subway station. I know that there's stuff near Port Authority, but that's mostly chains and burgers. What's something I might not expect on the way? Any thoughts or suggestions?

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990