• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: The Turkey Terror of Willow & Oak Streets

Fat Guy

Warm Thanksgiving wishes from Mayhaw Man and the whole eGullet.com crew (WARNING: Viewer discretion is advised) . . .

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It's spreading. I kid you not. I belong to a public service organization, and we had a convention recently where one of the highlights was just that. Well, the chicken, not a turkey.

We also had another chapter run the similar contest with a cow. This is in Alabama. There are also several bars down near Intracoastal City that still do the same thing on a regular basis.

Yes, the <name of animal here> drop is alive and well in rural America.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Great story. Hope you'll tell more stories from this place--we need more bar lore on eGullet. Green Stripe scotch...don't think I've seen that stuff since university, when we used to drink in the War Amps bar.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Is Creighton the creator of those "be nice or leave" signs we saw all over the place? (especially at Jacques-Imo's)

No that would be my wife's friend Dr Bob, who I (my wife) once gave about 100,000 bottle crowns that had gotten a little past use. I have a "be nice or leave" hanging just inside my front door (it doesn't always work, but hope springs eternal :wink: )

Creighton was a gentleman and a scholar (really) and a fabulous signpainter. He painted things all over uptown and did t-shirt designs for all kinds of things, but particularly for a couple of companies in Costa Rica and the Columbia Gorge that specialize in boardsailing wear. Carrollton Station was kind of like his gallery, because Tom would pay him for things he really didn't need just because Creighton had the idea and wanted to make something. It was avery good relationship that those two guys had. He was a talented, funny guy who died a couple of years ago. He is one of those people that when you think about him and the things he did you hear his voice saying the phrases.

edited for "worse than usual" punctuation :angry:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Ah.. Dr. Bob is the guy who does those "Flipper" things I saw in various places too. The one with the lady scratching her armpit or...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Mayhaw Man... You had me laughing out loud. I can just picture the goings on since I have been known to participate in such high jinks. And I have known some characters just like those in your story. My ex is from New Orleans (grew up on Maple Street, I think) and I have lived there. The bar culture in that part of town is just how you described. Isn't it interesting how different parts of New Orleans have different cultures?

I can't wait for more.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Part two involves the use of retired gambling devices as picnic fodder.

It also involves "reverse"instructions" on how to fry a turkey. (don't do as I do) :angry::laugh::wacko:

I got a couple of emails asking about Everette. He was a friend and a man of deep passion (although one of his passions was scotch and it killed him in a rather impassionate way) and you can read about his life and his swell funeral here.