• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dfw - the airport

joiei

I have a 4 hour layover on the evening of dec 15th and am wondering if I can eat at dfw or should I rent a car for 2 hours and run over to Colleyville to eat. I come in at like 4:50pm and do not leave for Tulsa until 9pm. Anyone up for dinner that nite?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

DFW is such a huge and sprawling place, getting in and out could be problematic. I have attended a couple of conferences at the hotel on the airport (the Hyatt I think) and we generally found it much less of a hassle to just eat there. It has been 3 or more years since I have done that but I seem to remember a pretty decent restaurant somewhere in the hotel complex. I remember it well (except for the name, of course) because it was the first time some of us had Guiness in a can. There was this little thingy in the bottom of the can that created the characteristic foaming (well, close anyway) when you opened the can. Given that there were a bunch of goofy engineers at the table, we had to hack open the can with the steak knives (not as good as Ginsu knives :biggrin: ) to see what the little thingy was and try to figure out how it worked.

Riding the automated transit system while more or less drunk was also amusing. :laugh:

Hopefully some of our D-FW folks can give you more specific guidance.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

DFW is vast and hectic, so your layover doesn't give you too much time to venture out and eat. My advice is to find the nearest Tex-Mex place and see what you can get. (Good Tex-Mex is a beautiful thing, and I miss it.)

Kelli

Railhead isn't in the terminal. It's just not that far by car or taxi. There's a mid-level chain in DFW airport, but I can't remember which one and which terminal off-hand. But it has okay bbq. I'm sure someone else can pick up the slack (in my memory).

I certainly wouldn't rent a car: it will take you an hour to leave the terminal! Get a cab and once you get to your restaurant destination, hire the cabbie to come and get you again to return you to the airport.

Otherwise you get to spend the night at DFW....

How far from Ft. Worth is the airport? Does anyone know? If it isn't too far, you can go to the Stockyards and eat there ( Lonesome Dove Bistro is awesome.)

A 4 hour layover won't allow you to accomplish much in the way of motoring around the metroplex. DFW airport is actually in Irving (and part of Grapevine and Euless), sort of just north and equidistant from Dallas and Fort Worth's city limits. Not that you can tell. There's no break between cities.

With a 4 hour layover and your end destination as Tulsa, you would almost be better off renting a car in Dallas and driving to Tulsa if you were looking for adventure. You would get there at about the same time.

Otherwise, with the delays and the sheer size and level of craziness in the airport, you might as well stay put and try to bring some decent takeout with you. You won't starve in an airport, but you won't have the meal of your life.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

How far from Ft. Worth is the airport? Does anyone know? If it isn't too far, you can go to the Stockyards and eat there ( Lonesome Dove Bistro is awesome.)

Stockyards is WAY too far from DFW. I live 1 mi S of DFW and sing at Billy Bob's on occasion and it takes me a good 30 minutes. $$$$ of a cab ride. Ouch.

Just N of DFW at the 121 360 114 merge area in Grapevine/Colleyville is just about every major chain from Brinker, et al you can think of. Don't even think of FW or you will indeed spend the night here

Texas Tequila Sunrise:

1 Bottle 100% Agave Tequila

1 shot glass, rim salted

1 lime, quartered

1 sunrise

*Pour tequila in salted shot glass. Drop in

1/4 lime. Contemplate the sunrise.

Drink until done. Repeat.

thanks everybody, I have consided the drive, I figured I could be home before that plane lands at Tulsa International. I was hopeful that DFW had picked up on the dining scene like I have read about happening at places like SFO.

As to Colleyville, i know where it is and have dined at (What is the name of that Asian place with Benigets in the new town center). Ft Worth is way too far, I have driven that. It is too bad that DART does not go to the airport.

It looks like a book, an apple and a bottle of water for dinner.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

It looks like a book, an apple and a bottle of water for dinner.

I wouldn't go THAT far. :biggrin:

Take the fun little tram system over to the hotel. It is entertaining (well, at least for a stay in DFW) and you will be able to get something better than an apple.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose