• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

corokke

torakris

Kabocha. It's my absolute favourite and I have never been able to make decent kabocha corokke, nor have I been able to find a decent recipe. I like the kind Tengu (the izakaya) has. I've been told it's usually pure kabocha, but I think the Tengu one has potato, too. It's been so long that I don't really remember, though!

Cream korokke...mmmm

I found a recipe in something like Croissant once that advocated that you cook the bechamel verrrrry slowly for about an Ice Age or two, till all hints of pasty flouriness are gone, and the milk has reduced (and probably caramelized!). I tried it, and they were wonderful. So wonderful, that I have never had the heart to make them the normal way again, but since I don't want to go to all that trouble...cream croquettes are now off the family menu!! Tip: flour and egg them twice before crumbing them, to avoid explosions!

Other croquettes I like....satsuma-imo ones.

And other than that, just plain ole ground meat and potato croquettes...I like them coated with the finest grade of panko, mixed with a little sesame seed.

By the way, what shape does everybody make theirs? In our house, the normal ones are always baton shaped, and the sweet potato ones are disk shaped.

like them coated with the finest grade of panko, mixed with a little sesame seed.

By the way, what shape does everybody make theirs? In our house, the normal ones are always baton shaped, and the sweet potato ones are disk shaped.

Sesame seeds, I need to try that one.

The very few times I make them, I tend to do the typical oval shape, once I did a potato and ham cream style one that were one or two bite baton shaped pieces.

I enjoy eating corokke but it is one food I rarely make because I see it as very time consuming, Cooking the poatatoes, mashing the potatoes, cooking the onions and meat, mixing with the potatoes, shape into a patty, dip in the flour , dip in the egg, dip in the panko, deep fry.

Here in Japan you can get some really good ones that have been made by someone else and not for a bad price.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I think the stores near me must not have been very adventurous. I only ever saw the "usuals" like kani cream, seafood, curry, vegetable, kabocha, and plain (potato with ground beef). We never had stuff like sukiyaki! Yum! A friend uses her leftover nikujaga (or similar type dishes) for croquette. I didn't care for it too much (something about mashed meat is a bit icky to me).

Being back in Canada I am forced to make my own. I always make disc-shaped ones since they fry better in shallow oil. I generally will only make potato, sweet potato, or kabocha since I'm too lazy to do any of the other ones :smile: .

i make a korokke that is spinach and parmesan, potato-based of course, and if i have it, i add tiny chopped up pieces of prosciutto to the mix before chilling and shaping.

mmm... :smile:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Is there anything better in this world than pipping-hot corokke? especially steamy kani-corn-cream oozing out of it when you break it apart? :biggrin: Reminds me of the store in a department store basement that specializes in corokke....so much work to make your own, so lucky it's made well. I've also bought these individual frozen ones that you can pop into the microwave (made for your bento)...those are cool when you have a craving that has to be quenched immediately!

• 5 months later...

Yesterday some of my (Japanese) neighbors and I were talking about foods that they miss from either childhood or their hometowns and the women who just moved in next store less than two months ago from Osaka asked where she could find some Tokyo corroke.

Everyone just stared at her as no one had ever heard of such a thing.....

Apparently they are quite popular in Osaka, little balls of corroke skewered on a stick, I found a picture:

http://satouno.hp.infoseek.co.jp/photo/ebisu.htm

Yesterday some of my (Japanese) neighbors and I were talking about foods that they miss from either childhood or their hometowns and the women who just moved in next store less than two months ago from Osaka asked where she could find some Tokyo corroke.

Apparently they are quite popular in Osaka, little balls of corroke skewered on a stick, I found a picture:

Tokyo Crokke might be revenge for Osaka-yaki. Or would that be vice versa...

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Tokyo Crokke might be revenge for Osaka-yaki. Or would that be vice versa...

I didn't know anything about Tokyo corokke, either.

Tokyo corroke and stall:

http://hataemi.hp.infoseek.co.jp/photo/

EDIT:

Click a photo to enlarge.

EDIT:

Osaka yaki (from the "Visiting Tokyo Markets" thread)

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Bookend/1036/ennichi/osaka9.html

EDIT:

How ironic!

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

• 5 months later...

I was at the store this morning to pick up some strawberries for my son's birthday cake, when the corroke caught my eye. There was a display of about 10 different kinds all for 105 yen a piece ($1) an average price.

we got two beef and potato, one just potato and a shrimp and cream one for me.

gallery_6134_91_1101188816.jpg

these were on the cold side having been made proably over an hour before but they were still incredibly crunchy and very good..

So far, all Ive made sucessfully is crab korroke, we use potatoes with imitation crab meat, and panko them (patty-shaped). I also really like curry (kare) korroke.

Kabocha korroke sounds fabulous! I love kabocha...maybe Ill try making some with the kabocha i bought the other day. I wish more adventurous ones existed around here, since all Ive ever had is curry, cream ones, and various seafoods.

• 10 months later...

I made kurogoma-korokke last night. For me, kabocha is a clear favorite, but kurogoma runs a close second. I've also had good satsumaimo korokke and okara korokke at a little yaoya-san (Misato-ya) in Choufi.

Here are mine:

Kurogoma korokke in my blog

I use a bit more salt with kurogoma-korokke than when I make other types, because of my association of kurogoma with gomashio.

korokke_20007_2D640w_thumb.jpg

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Jason, I have never seen black sesame seeds in corroke before, it sounds (and looks) great!

Is it mixed with just potatoes? anything else in there? (besides the salt of course)

There is no secret, of course... just peeled, food-milled or fork-mashed potatoes, optionally a splash of cream or milk, a healthy mix of black and white sesame seeds (I used a lighter hand than usual on this batch because I ran out of black sesame), and salt. Some people incorporate a bit of an egg yolk into their korokke base, but I find this usually less than helpful. Refrigerate for a few hours before using.

Then shape, flour, coat with egg wash, and panko as customary for korokke.

I've never bothered to create a recipe for korokke because they seem fairly forgiving, but if you need precise instructions, I can make something up :raz:

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

• 1 month later...

Made a giant batch of korokke tonight, to last through various bento, early dinners, late dinners, etc.

1) Pumpkin korokke with ground pork, onion, and a little curry powder and chili. The pumpkin had been roasted before mashing, so no problems with wateriness.

2) Lamb and potato korokke - lamb fried with Chinese chives, black pepper, and black sesame (nod to Jason). I double boiled the potatoes a la Jackal, curious to see if it makes a difference.

The pumpkin were great, and I'm afraid son2 ate two AFTER eating a good serving of tempura and some sashimi! The lamb are yet to be sampled, but the unfried potato mixture tasted pretty good :raz:

Made a giant batch of korokke tonight, to last through various bento, early dinners, late dinners, etc.

1) Pumpkin korokke with ground pork, onion, and a little curry powder and chili. The pumpkin had been roasted before mashing, so  no problems with wateriness.

2) Lamb and potato korokke - lamb fried with Chinese chives, black pepper, and black sesame (nod to Jason). I double boiled the potatoes a la Jackal, curious to see if it makes a difference.

The pumpkin were great, and I'm afraid son2 ate two AFTER eating a good serving of tempura and some sashimi! The lamb are yet to be sampled, but the unfried potato mixture tasted pretty good :raz:

Helen, the pumpkin one sounds very, very good to me. I love pumpkin dishes. Of course I love lamb, too, so might even try that one also.

Have fun with them! Pumpkin needs to be watched more carefully when frying as it browns easily...but you can't lower the temperature very much or the coating doesn't fry crisply.

The only rule I follow with korokke is to keep the meat/veg to half or less the weight of potatoes/pumpkin used - more than that, and they tend to be soggy or fragile.