• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Burns and Scars

Comfort Me

when i was in culinary school, my (female) pastry instructor told me that when (female) pastry chefs get married, they have to have long sleeved wedding gowns to hide the burn scars. :blink:

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

No. I did not attempt cooking with magnesium, but while welding I crossed it's path--and it whupped my ass. It's kind of like the poisoning you get from working with galvinized steel--a necessary evil.

I still want to reiterate that the fat from the wok was far more painful; that took my breath away.

I will see your left-handed smoke shifter and raise you a bacon stretcher and quart of white food coloring.

One of my colleagues worked for a local chain, Joey Tomatoes, right across the street from an Earl's (a powerhouse regional chain). They collaborated frequently on perpetuating the "gas the new guy" tradition.

One favourite was to send the newbie across the street to ask the hostess for a "longstand." The hostess would say something like, "Okay, hon, I just have to seat a couple of tables and then I'll look after you." After ten or fifteen minutes, that one would generally sink in.

I guess every industry has these. At Radio Shack, one of the standards was to get the new guy to count the bulk wire and cable at inventory time. "How do I do this?" was their inevitable question. We'd point to the floor and say, "The tiles are 18 inches. Just pull all the wire off the spool, count the tiles, and do the math." And then we'd see how long we could keep a straight face.

My brother-in-law works in the oilpatch, and they've got some *serious* practical jokers there. One of his co-workers got pushed into his locker, the lock was closed and then the lock was welded shut, and the locker was then transferred to a remote portion of the site and left for two hours.

....of course you know, payback is a bitch...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

So quick question.

Lets say you're making...creme brulee.

And it needs to be in a water bath while in the oven. Now, you put the dishes on a hotel pan, and put it in then oven, then pour the water in.

Now, after baking, this water is hot.

How, exactly, do you get it out of the oven and onto the counter without spilling the hot water everywhere? The hotel pans we use here are flimsy, and wobble back and forth when held with 2 hands, and REALLY wobble with liquid in em.

I've burned my thumbs/forearms about a dozen times now, and haven't found a way to do it.

The first person to answer, "Very carefully" gets a thwacking. :hmmm:

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

I used to bake them in a half-sheet pan instead of a hotel pan. I could then pour the water off the corner of the pan carefully when I pulled the pan out of the oven. The only danger: I could easily get my dry towel wet from the pouring water and it would therefore get hot.

Another method: Pull the rack holding the hotel pan of finished creme brulees out from the body of the oven and use tongs to transfer the ramekins to a sheet pan. Then you don't have to worry about wobbling when you pull the hotel pan out of the oven...the brulees are already gone.

One of my colleagues worked for a local chain, Joey Tomatoes, right across the street from an Earl's (a powerhouse regional chain). They collaborated frequently on perpetuating the "gas the new guy" tradition.

If you haven't read Jaque Pepin's auto-biography, you need to read his description of the "new guy" prank at the Grand Hotel in Paris, where he worked as an apprentice.

I won't try to describe it here, I wouldn't do it justice.

The Fuzzy Chef

www.fuzzychef.org

Think globally, eat globally

San Francisco

never ever give up a dry towel or 3 ;). sorry, carefully is the correct answer. Depending on size/shape of your ramekin/egg shirring dish, that will tell you to use a sheet or hotel pan. As said tongs can be very useful. Nothing worse than dumping your water bath into a sheet full of creme brulees unless it's on you. Try some oven mitts maybe, a lot thicker. Will take a while to feel the steam, get them off qiuckly.

hth, danny

See, the big problem is that the place I work at, doesn't have "real" hotel pans. They arent sturdy at all. Even when empty, they wobble like aluminum.

Sigh.

Ill try taking the creme brulees out individually, but most of the time theres other stuff in there, and I can't leave the oven open for a while. (Only one oven.)

Argh.

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

agbaber, hi. How many of these do you have to make in a day? Because this is a safety issue, and you need to talk to whoever orders your kitchen sundries, and tell them the problem. If they won't get you the appropriate pan, buy one and keep it in your locker.

I know, I'm a rockhead, but employee safety has always been a concern.

Top of right hand, about an inch and a half long, close to a centimeter think.

"Achieved" while reaching into boyfriend's oven to flip something that was toasting under the broiler that would have been better served with a toaster (boyfriend didn't have one).

<<<<<<<<<SIZZLE>>>>>>>>>

Hand went too high. Ouch.

Pain, suffering and loss of mobility after two days drove me to the doctor. Second degree burn with broken skin so he made me get one of those nasty tetanus boosters. More ouch.

Boyfriend got a toaster for Christmas.

See, the big problem is that the place I work at, doesn't have "real" hotel pans. They arent sturdy at all. Even when empty, they wobble like aluminum.

Sigh.

Ill try taking the creme brulees out individually, but most of the time theres other stuff in there, and I can't leave the oven open for a while. (Only one oven.)

Argh.

I feel your pain. I didn't often burn myself, but more often sloshed hot water on top of the custards. Try pouring water off the top of a hot custard. Eventually i hit on the suggestion posted above, and put the water-bath pan on top of a sturdy sheet pan.

Also, i don't pour the water in until the pan is sitting in the oven with one corner poking out.

As for burns, brulee sugar is pretty bad - if i'm in a hurry and stick my finger in the molten sugar while garnishing the top. Ouch.

My favorite stupid burn, which i can't seem to keep myself from repeating: Pulling blanching veg (like tomatoes) out of a pot of boiling water with tongs at the wrong angle, and having boiling water run out the hinge end of the tongs and down the inside of my jacket sleeve. Boiled elbow, anyone?

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

I'm just a home baker, but I've actually got quite a few nasty ones.

Right ring-finger knuckle - sugar burn. Since I was 11 years old. WHY my mother let me play with sugar when I was 11 is beyond me. Or maybe she didn't. Hmm, I probably did that one while she was taking a nap and dad was at work or something. :wink:

Deck of cards sized scar on the tender flesh of my inside left forearm. Two years ago, getting bread out of the oven (450), glass pan, somehow managed to press my entire left forearm onto the glass. Went to doctor two days later. They had to to the scrapey thing (they actually took a razor blade and scraped the burned flesh from my arm). I have a decently high threshold for pain, but I nearly fainted when they did this. I gladly took the bottle of percocet they gave me. Ok, maybe I'm a wuss. 450 isn't that hot, but honestly I think it was the worst pain I'd ever experienced.

Recent one - I was steaming some fondant pieces for a cake (to make them shiny). Did I put them in a colander? Of course not. Held them one by one over boiling water. Took it like a woman.

When you're trying to look sexy (at least for women) cooking scars just don't make it.

Alas, I have to face facts that I will never be a hand model. Though it does make for interesting conversation (I show you mine, you show me yours). And I will NOT be wearing a long-sleeved wedding gown. That's just silly. Besides, I'd need to wear gloves too, then.

Katie

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

That's an interesting thought. Perhaps when sleeveless gowns with elbow length gloves became popular among the Less-Than-Hoi-Polloi had less to do with fashion, and more to do with the advent of ranges in kitchens.

I'll vote for the roux burn. Sugar does stick longer, but the oil/flour mixture gets hotter, especially when making a dark roux.

The nickname says it all. Incident with a wooden spoon that was being used to stir the developing roux, and I stopped for a second to grab a towel. 3 seconds later, when trying to grab the top end of the spoon, I bumped it instead, and ended up catching the business end when it flipped in the air.

The only 2 burn scars that still show are the one on my ankle from a motorcycle exhaust, and one on the forearm from a soldering iron. All of the bakery, McDonald's grill, and pizza place scars have gone away.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

There've been so many, they all blur together... :wacko:

The earliest one I clearly remember was a lesson in mindfulness somewhere in my early 20s: trying to slice some recalcitrant vegetable but winding up slicing the side of my index finger. The scar is still there.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I have no early cuts, but a few burn scars, on both under arms. I saw Anthony Bourbain looking for this when he visited a kitchen recently. It is real easy to get a burn under the elbow when you're picking up a pot from the oven, improperly protected...

Bagel-cutting on Easter Sunday 1979. Deep cut and subsequent scar on fleshy palm side of thumb from holding bagel flat with left hand and sawing away with the right like an idiot. No bandages in the house. Mom runs to Jewish neighbor's house...where Mrs. Goldman said that's what I get for eating bagels on Easter! :laugh: (She was kidding...) Various other small scars from grease spatters and cuts on left fingers. That's left hand...not fingers that are left! :shock::laugh:

cut myself amusingly last week - dropped a knife which was about to fall on the cat's head, deflected the blade with my hand, saving kitty but dinking my finger. then had to get the cat away from the fish I was working on while I went and repaired myself. kitty was more grateful for the monkfish than the self-sacrifice.... dunno if it will scar though.

I was in my twenties. Just watched some Chinese cooking show on PBS involving lots of furiously fast paced chopping that just said to me"Go thou and do likewise." I'm not capable of sustaining such a pace and my knife slipped and cut off the fatty tip from the fleshy part of my thumb, which fell to the floor...and was promptly eaten by my cat.