• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Burns and Scars

Comfort Me

My cooking scar is from pulling a pan of liver out of a convection oven about 20 years ago. Hot boiling oil and forearms were not intended to be intimate partners...

Also, I was chasing the popsicle truck when I was about 7, and ran into a unicyclist. Got a nasty scar on my left foot. Does that count?

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

So you got 'a' scar, my arms look like a zebra, after 49 years in kitchens.

Both shins have sizeable bumbs like varicose veins from open oven doors. My left middle finger looks like it once had a hinge, as I cut thru it at age 16. My daughters seem to be proud of their dad, just like the children of European academics who received their scars (often on purpose to show off they 'belong') in 'fencing fraternities' at certain Universities.

Peter

So you got 'a' scar, my arms look like a zebra, after 49 years in kitchens.

Both shins have sizeable bumbs like varicose veins from open oven doors. My left middle finger looks like it once had a hinge, as I cut thru it at age 16. My daughters seem to be proud of their dad, just like the children of European academics who received their scars (often on purpose to show off they 'belong') in 'fencing fraternities' at certain Universities.

You've definitely paid your dues Peter!

Edited by dougery (log)

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

The "other" scars that I maintained were the thick calloused pads on my finger tips and grip surface of my hands. At the height of it , my hands were basically grotesque numb utensils(but my wife loved it when I rubbed her back and feet with them), and they always looked dirty, even though they weren't.

Edited by Timh (log)

I worked at a pizza restaurant many years ago, and we had a giant oven with five shelves that rotated in a "ferris wheel" arrangement. My upper arms hit the door so many times that I looked like a zebra too. And I also worked at a pet shop, so had complimentary scars from...lessee, parrot and cockatiel bites, iguana scratches, and a boa tooth that was actually imbedded in my finger. (Definitely my weirdest, though not my dumbest, injury.) Guess I'm lucky though, because my skin doesn't seem to hold a scar very well, I can't find any of them any more. My Japanese housemate who also worked at the pet store, was starting to look like an aerial photo of the Nazca lines...

Mom cut off the tip of her finger once, while chopping almonds to make a rice and almond dish for the vegan student my father invited over for Thanksgiving dinner. She never found the piece, and was really feeling guilty that she had "tainted" the vegan nature of his meal... :blink: We all ate it though, so who knows, I could have gotten it!

Edited by sazji (log)

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

• 3 weeks later...

After 14 years in commercial kitchens, I have my share of scars. The 2 worst had to be while on my first submarine when I had just finished draining the hot grease out of the fryer when the boat took a 20 down angle and all that grease spilled out of the pan holding it and burnt my legs up to the middle of my shins. Blisters and burnt leg hair. Not a good day.

The other was again on the boat when I was going to take a cake out of the oven and the boat did a large up angle and all the racks came out onto my arms (talk about looking like a zebra!) and the cake (which I quickly found out wasn't QUITE done) ended up down the neck of my shirt and quickly bonded to my skin. Another not so pleasant day.

I have tons of these, maybe sometime I will tell you about the espresso maker that blew up in my face.

I will sometimes get on a self-mutilating roll with sharp knives. This summer I was making pico de gallo, chopping onions, and sliced my left index finger deeply with my Henckel chef's knife. I washed and bandaged it, then no more than 30 seconds later sliced into my middle finger.

A year earlier, I was honing a paring knife vertically on a steel, slipped and buried the blade so deep in my thumb knuckle I wouldn't even look at it. Instinctively I ran it under the faucet, wrapped it in paper towells and then in duct tape over the entire thumb to immobolize it.

I didn't remove the makeshift bandage for two days — and I was surprised at, 1. how clean and thin the cut was (sharp is better), and 2. how much it had already healed.

I generally dress all my wounds pretty well, plus don't scar easily, so I have few scars (despite working in professional kitchens). My two notable scars are both oven burns the exact same shape as the one in the original post - one on my right arm a little lower, and one on my right hand, top side, next to my two last knuckles (kinda stylish actually - stands out pretty well).

My knives are sharp as razors so I don't have any scars from cuts... The palms/fingers of my hands are very calloused so they're almost bulletproof - yesterday I torched my finger (direct flame at close range from a blowtorch), today barely a mark.

Saran Wrap boxes got me. Twice.

I used to buy cheapo brands, and one night was trying to rip the sheet off on the serated edge - the box flew up and sliced my eyebrow. Scar #1.

Not too long after, I was having the same problem and the box flew off to the side - the serated edge gashed my right-hand wrist to the bone. Ooooh pretty colors.... :wacko:

Those 2 incidents are hopefully the worst kitchen injuries I'll ever have.

Oh, and I now buy name-brand Saran Wrap only. :wink:

the tall drink of water...

Well, my big ass burn didn't end my career, but sent me on a trajectory for sure.I came out of the hospital a mess, I promptly helped steer my place down the drain, marry the waitress, must I go on?

I got my first scar attempting to make candy, melting sugar and butter in a spoon over a CANDLE in my dorm room at Boarding school over 30 years ago.The melted mixture was being carried over to the metal top of a biscuit tin to cool when I slipped on a shoe and the whole mess spashed onto my arm. Needless to say I didn't go to the school nurse but dressed the whole thing myself as we were not supposed to have food in the dorms...but the Pain ...ooooo the pain.

Since then I've had many more not for the same reasons thankfully...but as someone else said they are a badge of Honour

About 5 years ago, I cut my little finger down to the bone while trying to separate frozen hamburgers at 6:00 AM while still half asleep. I know. Stupid. A year ago, sliced the top of my index finger off with the mandoline. I still don't have feeling in it. I also gave the mandoline away - so instead, I sliced my thumb with chef's knife last weekend. I keep a large supply of band-aids close at hand.

Well I cant say I am happy to be posting here.. But, I guess its time to make a negative into a positive. If I can get one person sick, then it was all worth it.. :biggrin: I dont know what a second degree burn is, but if that means all the skin in an area melt off, then thats what I have.. Caught my finger on some charcoal while throwing woodchips in my smoker.. Good thing there was snow all over the place last night.. I think it helped big time.

gallery_15057_2056_119294.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

That's pretty much what the second and third fingers of my left hand look like right now, although on the underside rather than the top. Mine came from grabbing (and holding because it just didn't register) plates that had just come out of a 500 degree oven.

Ice. I didn't take my left hand out of ice all night last night including during dinner. If I did, the throbbing set in immediately. The restaurant gave me special burn cream and all, but only the ice gave any relief at all. It was a little awkward (especially since I'm left handed) but highly entertaining to our guests.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

That's pretty much what the second and third fingers of my left hand look like right now, although on the underside rather than the top. Mine came from grabbing (and holding because it just didn't register) plates that had just come out of a 500 degree oven.

Ice.  I didn't take my left hand out of ice all night last night including during dinner. If I did, the throbbing set in immediately.   The restaurant gave me special burn cream and all, but only the ice gave any relief at all.  It was a little awkward (especially since I'm left handed) but highly entertaining to our guests.

There is really nothing more painful then a burn.. I think I would take three cuts to a bad burn.. Like those kids in high school that cut themselves.. EH, I am not impressed.. Show me a burner, now thats a bad ass... Those freaking pulses of pain, what is that.. OMG, whiskey is the only thing.. Ice pretends to be your friend, but coming off it is twice as worse..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I about took my index finger off cutting bread cubes....of all things.

Tonight its the thumb on the other hand, tripped on the cat and just watched it sink into my had. OWWW!

I agree about burns though. I had a bit of a break from them lately. Now I've done it, I'm due again!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I have managed to recently obtain two distinct burns. Both of which are located half way down my upper arm on the inside. The scars are now unremarkable, and definitely not worth a pic. They happened within a week of each other in a very tender spot.

I was completely unaware of them until getting into the shower after work when with the aid of hot water the made them selves very apparent.

To this day i`m still baffled as to what moves i was pulling when the incidents occurred.

tt

*WINCE* Why did I click and look at the pictures?

Ugh. Cooking scars. I'm a walking memorial from all the years of homecooking and catering.

My latest ones are slicing through the cuticle of my left middle finger, burn on the ribs on my right side (it's hot here and I typically wear a sports bra and shorts to cook in and then run into the oven door), oil splash burns on my arms and legs.

Does injuring yourself with food count?

One late night in College, one of my roommates was showing how greasy Doritos were by lighting them on fire. I decided to take this exhibition a step further by eating flaming Doritos. The first two went down cleanly (if a little charred and bitter); the third, however, pivoted in my dainty two-finger pinch, allowing the flame to briefly roast my lips.

No wonder most of my scars are "leisure wounds." But hey, at least I learned something in college.

I have the usuals, nothing neat, but my sister has a really cool one. She burned her forearm on a hot fry baskei and its a PERFECT tic-tac-toe! Looks like a tatoo. Shes had it for years and its starting to fade but its still cool.

Tony

Ice.  I didn't take my left hand out of ice all night last night including during dinner. If I did, the throbbing set in immediately.   The restaurant gave me special burn cream and all, but only the ice gave any relief at all.  It was a little awkward (especially since I'm left handed) but highly entertaining to our guests.

There is really nothing more painful then a burn.. I think I would take three cuts to a bad burn.. Like those kids in high school that cut themselves.. EH, I am not impressed.. Show me a burner, now thats a bad ass... Those freaking pulses of pain, what is that.. OMG, whiskey is the only thing.. Ice pretends to be your friend, but coming off it is twice as worse..

i gotta disagree on that one, i would rather get a burn than a cut, because when im working on a busy line on a friday night, the last thing i want to have to do is run to the first aid kit, a burn i can deal with until closing, you cant really do that with a cut.

i gotta disagree on that one, i would rather get a burn than a cut, because when im working on a busy line on a friday night, the last thing i want to have to do is run to the first aid kit, a burn i can deal with until closing, you cant really do that with a cut.

cuts, get me some duct/packing tape....burns, I am going home to cry/pass out/generally go into shock

my poor little hands are a mess right now all sorts of nasty little cuts and abrasions and broken nails and jammed cuticles.....damnable first office job is killing me :wacko:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association