• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quality of Rum in mixed drinks

Meow-Mix

Given that I hoard my HC for special medicinal purposes, I am partial to Cruzan Estate Dark or Cruzan Estate Light for mixing. Bacardi is perfectly ok for white rum drinks as well. Appleton Estate Special is also a very good gold mixer.

I also like Brugal for Cuba Libre.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

What's your personal favorite rum to put in a --

Mojito? Havana Club 3 year old for authenticity but I also like Brugal White, a lot. Mount Gay white is nice as well.

Cuba Libre? I wouldn't drink Coke on a bet.

Ginger Ale? Now there it gets interesting. Cruzan White or Dark, almost anything else as long as the ginger ale isn't too sweet. But I save the older rums for sipping.

juice drink? I prefer the lighter rums so I can taste the juice. Coconut juice is one of my favorites mixed with St Vincent Gold rum.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.