• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Drinks & Winter Warmers

beans

I had to giggle today. I got a mailing from the lovely folks at Tuaca with a glossy, full colour post card entitled "Start a new Thanksgiving tradition." On the reverse side were some "Bar Bites, Little-known tidbits." The most alarming was the note of Americans consuming as much as 4,500 calories on turkey day -- twice of the FDA recommendation. :huh:

Also enclosed were five small temporary tattos of the Tuaca logo. :laugh: (I *know* you are all dying to have one of these little treasures, so PM should you find yourself absolutely unable to get through another minute being without one! :wink: )

Tuaca Hot Apple Pie

1 1/2 ounces Tuaca Liqueur

5-6 ounces Apple Cider, warmed

Pour Tuaca and warm apple cider into a pre-warmed, footed coffee mug. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon. Garnish with a cinnamon stick.

I have many winter warmer Hot Toddy-like recipes and will have too place them conveniently into one, organised spot. I so enjoy Glogg, Wassail and Hot Buttered Rums and have several recipes for each.... Yum.

Have favourites? Seeking out any new or old ones? Curious about some of the tradition behind some of these heart warming cups of cheer? :smile:

My version of wassail:

1 bottle Honey Mead

1 gallon (sometimes less, maybe half-a-gallon) fresh apple cider

1 orange

1 lemon

6 or 8 cinnamon sticks

tablespoon or two of whole cloves

6 or 8 cardamom pods

other spices as the feeling arises

I slice the orange and lemon into thin slices. Pour the cider and the mead into a large, non-reactive pot. Add spice sachet and citrus slices. Gently warm (so as to not burn off the alcohol).

Serve with a fruit slice floating in the cup and a cinammon stick...

Yum.

A Hot Irish is a fine thing on a cold night

2 oz Irish Whiskey

4 oz hot water

1 Sugar Cube

1 squeeze fresh lemon juice (about a 1/4 teaspoon)

Put in a coffee mug and stir. Serve with a lemon twist.

My wife doesn't drink beer (not very convenient for a brewer, but she's ok otherwise) and drank these things often when we were living in Enfield, Co. Meath, Ireland. The Harcourt Hotel (a funky hotel and a great live music venue) in Dublin makes a particularly fine version of this drink.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Will someone please post a good hot buttered rum? I love them and used to have a great recipe, but it's obviously run off with the remote, our longest extension cord and a few loose socks.

Anyone?

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Hot Buttered Rum Batter No. 1

Hot Buttered Rum Batter No. 2

I'll PM another one that I've got....

No. 1 is similar to what I do, except I usually just put the sugar and spices in the mug, then pour the rum and hot water over them and float the butter on top. I've never used Vanilla, though, and I just don't understand the use of vanilla ice cream. Wouldn't that be another drink altogether?

Squeat

I don't have much history on the Hot Buttered Rum -- but I've also seen recipes using hot apple juice or apple cider, too.

The first version I tried was with vanilla ice cream.

Edit to add: I found an old recipe that was published sometime during the 1980's in Harper's Bazaar by a Susan Dooley that also worte a column on entertaining for The Washington Post. This one may be the closest to an original recipe:

Hot Buttered Rum

1/2 dozen broken cinnamon sticks

20 cloves

1/2 pound brown sugar

Rum

Butter

Add ingredients to a one gallon of water and simmer for one hour. Strain liquid into preheated pewter mugs til 3/4 full. Top off with rum and float a pat of butter on top. Serves 10-12.

:wacko:

Edited by beans (log)

Thank you beans. The 1st batter appears to be similar to my old one excepting that mine had a twist of lemon and no cardamom. I'm going to make some up this afternoon.

The ice cream based batter is interesting, not something I've tried before. Has anyone made it?

I also love egg nog. My mother often makes it for the holidays out of her red and white checked cookbook, circa 1967.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

I've always liked hot spiced cider with brandy. To a couple of quarts of cider, I add a half a cinnamon stick, a couple of cardamom pods, a few slices of ginger, a couple of cloves and the juice and rind of half a lemon. Let it simmer for a half hour or so, strain, and serve.

A hot brandy with a splash of cinnamon schapps and an orange twist isn't bad, either.

Found this and I think it'll be one for the short list of yet to try:

Hot Scotch

3/4 ounce Scotch

1/2 ounce Drambuie

1 ounce fresh lemon juice

5 ounces hot water

1 teaspoon of sugar

Combine in a preheated, footed coffee mug.

I'd probably float a wafer thin, whole lemon wheel for an attractive garnish.

Oh! I forgot a two other hot apple cider creations -- quite appropriate for this week, no? Heat up the cider and give either of these a try:

Golden Delicious

1 1/4 ounces Goldschlager

Captain's Spiced Cider

1 1/4 ounces Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum

And while I'm on a Captain kick this one I know is delicious:

Pirate's Spiced Rum Tea

1 1/4 ounces Captain Morgan

6 ounces hot tea

1 cinnamon stick

1 teaspoon honey

Combine and garnish with an orange slice.

:wub:

Edited by beans (log)

"canadian coffee:" canadian whiskey, coffee, and maple syrup. i like freshly whipped cream on top. it "helps" me study quite often these days....

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

From the beverage manager at Salish Lodge & Spa...

Espresso Martini-

1 shot Stoli Vanilla

3/4 shot Bailey's Irish Cream

1/2 shot Kahlua

1 shot cream

1 shot espresso

Mix in a shaker over ice then add one shot of espresso. Shake and serve into a martini glass. Garnish with three espresso beans.

Espresso Nudge-

1/2 shot Kahlua

1/2 shot Dark Creme Cacao

1/2 shot Brandy

1 shot espresso

Whipped cream

Put into a coffee mug; add one shot of espresso. Fill with steamed milk and top with whipped cream.

Snoqualmie Coffee-

1/2 shot Bailey's Irish Cream

1/2 shot Kahlua

1/2 shot Frangelico

1 cup of coffee

Whipped cream

Put into a coffee mug; add regular or decaf coffee and top with whipped cream.

Chocolate Decadence-

3/4 shot Bailey's Irish Cream

3/4 shot Dark Creme Cacao

1 oz. chocolate syrup

1 cup milk

Whipped cream

Put into a coffee mug; add 1 oz chocolate syrup and fill with steamed milk. Top with whipped cream.

Angel Mist-

3/4 shot Bailey's

3/4 shot Frangelico

1 cup milk

Put into a coffee mug and fill with steamed milk.

• 2 years later...

ok... christmas music on the radio already started 3 weeks ago. although we had a 60 degree day here in pittsburgh last week, i think the cold is here to stay (a balmy 33 degrees this morning). I need to get ready for those christmas parties by getting some hot drink recipes!

what are your favorites?

i'm thinking about making hot cider toddies with some rock and rye (anyone have a good rock and rye recipe?). and of course there's the hot buttered rums and the tom and jerrys...

anything interesting that you guys (and girls) have cooked up? maybe off the beaten path?

any ideas for a hot ginger drink? I love that warming of the mouth that spicy candied ginger gives. would it translate to a sweet and spicy hot christmas drink?

thanks!

noah

'Tis the season to crank up the kettle, break out the cloves, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnoman.

I like rye or aged rum, with honey, (My current favorite is Leatherwood honey from Tazmania) lemon and a little clove, and a dash or two of Fees aromatic bitters.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

I make a heated drink with rye, ginger of the indies liqueur, apple juice, and orange bitters and lemon twist garnish that always get great results when someone is sick or cold from the weather.

I also make a Moroccan mint tea, with spiced rum, two drops of absinthe, lemon, mint, star anise, cinnamon stick, tsp simple syrup and hot water.

well mine is pretty simple - i really like a good hod chocolate with a dash of cinnamon, and some whiskey in it.  and fluff on top.

Hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps or Kahlua

Irish coffee with lots of whipped cream

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Mulled cider with rum or brandy. As I discovered recently thanks to Jaymes, this is also good with Tuaca or Licor 43 (Hot Apple Pie).

Mulled wine with some brandy, sugar, orange zest and spices in it. I like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and star anise.

Spanish coffee - Strong hot coffee with Torres Orange liqueur and dark Godiva chocolate liqueur in it.

Hot cocoa with Starbucks coffee liqueur in it. The very best mocha drink ever.

• Like 1

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol