• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Drinks & Winter Warmers

beans

I guess I'm out of sync with the majority of you, but here's another warm drink report:

The NY Times Magazine recently did an article on "Bar Necessities", including two favorites from Audrey Saunders.

Another fun choice for the winter is her Hot Port Sangaree, which has the advantage of much better storage characteristics compared to the T&J. You can make up a bottle of the stuff and drink it off and on for the whole winter.

3 cups : port (Graham's Six Grapes specified)

2 oz : pomegranate molasses (Al Wadi specified)

3 oz : simple syrup (1:1)

2 oz : fresh lemon juice

2 oz : Cointreau

5 dashes : orange bitters (Regans' specified)

5 dashes : Angostura bitters

Lemon twists

Combine all liquids in a bottle. To make a single serving, heat 4 ounces together with a lemon twist to just below the simmer. Strain into a toddy glass and garnish with a new lemon twist.

I tried this with "Keeper's Glove" Australian tawny port (yes I bought it because I liked the name) and found the pomegranate molasses made it taste like Concord grape juice to me. I was a bit shy on the lemon so I think some more of that and topping up the mason jar with port will help. I'm thinking that it might be better to add fresh lemon when mixing the drink. I've also been heating in the microwave rather than on the stove top. Much more efficient for a single serving.

But when I added some Inner Circle rum (red) to the drink it was awesome. I'd say maybe rum:mixture of about 1:8 should do. I could see some mulling spices might be nice, too. With the Inner Circle and port, I think it would be fair to declare this an Aussie Cocktail.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 3 months later...

First cool fall night here in New England, so I made a Rum Toddy with Inner Circle green, Plantation Jamaican, Cruzan blackstrap, some demerara syrup, Fee's OF bitters, and dashes of cinnamon and allspice tincture. Slice of lemon on top.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 10 months later...

Fine-tuning a genever toddy for the bar at which I'll be working, and I'm curious to know if anyone out there has recipes for such a thing.

Did this turn out?

Dreary day and I had the oven on so I thought I'd do a very loose interpretation of the Smoking Bishop:

pierce about a dozen cloves into the skin of a small orange, place in a bowl and put in the oven with whatever else you are doing and roast until the skin is slightly brown and the orange is getting soft. Muddle the orange in a bowl with 3 teaspoons demerara sugar. Place the orange in a pan with 1 stick cinnamon, 8 oz merlot, 4 oz ruby port, and 1 oz Campari. Heat and strain into a large mug. Grate nutmeg on top.

I think next time I'd do 50:50 wine:port. The Campari is a pretty interesting sub for grapefruit.

Fine-tuning a genever toddy for the bar at which I'll be working, and I'm curious to know if anyone out there has recipes for such a thing.

Did this turn out?

Oh, yes, sorry -- it even got published here locally, though I doubt that there was a run on genever as a result!

Genever Toddy

4 hot water

slice lemon

2 genever

1 T lavender honey tea syrup*

1 t maraschino

*8 parts water (1 c), 1 part dried whole black tea (1/8 c), 4 parts honey (1/2 c), 2 parts dried lavender (1/4 c). Boil the water and steep the tea for 4 minutes. Strain, check the temperature and heat if necessary to get in the 180-200F range. Add the lavender and honey and steep until cool.

Sorry for the volume instead of weigh on the syrup recipe, but it was written for a restaurant kitchen that doesn't like to get out the scale for those crazy bartenders. :wink:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 1 year later...

The temperatures dropped very slightly in San Diego last week and it's the start of the holiday season, so I was in the mood for a hot buttered rum. I found a recipe for the Volcano House Hot Buttered Rum in Jeff Berry's BeachBum Berry remixed: rum, lemon juice, maraschino liqueur which adds something interesting, sugar, black tea (I used Earl Grey), lemon peel, cloves, butter. Rumdood posted the recipe on his blog a while back (here). Note that the version in BeachBum Berry Remixed does not list the rum! (A typo for sure).

8215058045_a8b549733d_z.jpg

This was a good occasion to crack open a bottle of Kraken (sorry). Nice drink. I will make sure to bring the recipe for my next ski trip!

For reference, hot buttered rum is also discussed in Cold Weather Drinking, plus there are dedicated threads (this one and this one) and another one about Hot Rum.

I have a hot toddy in my back pocket for folks feeling under the weather I call a Belfast Cease Fire. 1,5-2 oz. Irish whisky, 6-8 oz. English Breakfast Tea, demerara simple syrup and a thin lemon wheel with a star anise poked into the center floated on top. Looks pretty, tastes delicious, Irish and English in the same mug playing nice with each other. Easy Peasy.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 1 month later...

My Irish Cappuccino of the moment:

1/2 tsp brown sugar

1 oz scotch--I'm being extravagant for a mixed drink with Balvenie Doublewood 12

One shot of espresso

Foamed milk floated on top as for a single cappuccino.

Simple, if you can make a good espresso, but it's more concentrated and intense than a typical Irish coffee. I'm calling it a keeper.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

I no longer have a need for cold weather drinks. I like drinking iced tea in hot tubs in the end of December.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

But.. But... if I was GOING to make a cold weather drink, it would definitely be a really hot cup of coffee with a hit of Irish Whiskey and some steamed milk.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I think one of my new favorite winter warmers is the Tabonga & Jerry I mentioned in another thread. A tiki twist on the Tom & Jerry that I read about on the Tiki Central forums. It's tasty...

1/2 cup Tom & Jerry batter

1 oz Cruzan Black Strap rum

1 oz brandy

1/2 oz falernum

1/2 oz lime juice

In a tall mug, top with hot water, garnish with freshly grated nutmeg and a cinnamon stick.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I have a hot toddy in my back pocket for folks feeling under the weather I call a Belfast Cease Fire. 1,5-2 oz. Irish whisky, 6-8 oz. English Breakfast Tea, demerara simple syrup and a thin lemon wheel with a star anise poked into the center floated on top. Looks pretty, tastes delicious, Irish and English in the same mug playing nice with each other. Easy Peasy.

I don't drink alcohol (allergic) but I like to keep up with new ideas for my guests. This sounds something like what my great grandmother used to call "Tipsy Tea" also made with Irish whiskey, tea, treacle plus a cinnamon stick and a few peppercorns. Possibly lemon but I only have the rest of it in a note from one of her journals.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 6 years later...

Now that the weather is turning for some of us, I find myself looking for soothing hot drinks.

I have a few:  Percolator Punch, Irish Coffee, Tom & Jerry, et al.

What are your faves?

I’m always looking for new options.

• Like 1

I've had hot toddy in restaurants during cold winters out but I probably like coffee + hazelnut (Frangelico) at home. 

I think the caffeine + alcohol combination was originally banned when Four Loko came out with it but teenagers luuuved it 

I've tried the reformulated legal version and it's like overly sweet hard liquor and soda 

Whisky Mac

You could start with the Kindred Cocktails equal parts Ginger Wine and Scotch Whisky, but I usually add a lemon slice and hot water to taste.

Green Chartreuse is a nice addition.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 8:29 PM, lindag said:

Now that the weather is turning for some of us, I find myself looking for soothing hot drinks.

I have a few:  Percolator Punch, Irish Coffee, Tom & Jerry, et al.

What are your faves?

I’m always looking for new options.

Hot cider

A bottle of hard cider

1 oz bourbon

1/2 oz Triple Sec

a dash of bitters

Heat the cider, add the other stuff, dust the top with cinnamon. Warm you on a cold night, it will.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, kayb said:

Hot cider

A bottle of hard cider

1 oz bourbon

1/2 oz Triple Sec

a dash of bitters

Heat the cider, add the other stuff, dust the top with cinnamon. Warm you on a cold night, it will.

I'm going to save this recipe and try it when it gets colder here on the East Coast. This sounds delicious. thanx 

I can't drink alcohol myself because I am allergic to it but years ago, when my favorite neighbors still lived here and we held "progressive" dinners, I made hot cocoa with peppermint schnapps in one of my large coffee urns, for those who liked "spiked" hot drinks and it went much faster than the un-spiked cocoa.  In fact, it started at my home and was transported to the dessert house so they began and ended with it. 

Also had hot spiced cider both plain and spiked but that was not as popular.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...

OK, groan, cringe, laugh all you want, but my wife and I drink this often when it's cold and wet outside:

4 oz. milk

2 oz. half and half

0.5 - 1 oz. Frangelico

1.5 oz. brandy (Korbel or Christian Bros.)

2 heaping Tbsp. Ovaltine

Stir in a mug, heat in the microwave until hot. 

• Like 1