• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN Savennieres, "Coulee de Serrant, N. Joly, 1999

John W.

Hello all.

The 86 had some CO2 and was a little sweet and you had the impression that it was vinified very reductively from not very ripe grapes which had seen quite a bit of botrytis.

I opened it on December 31, tasted to detect problems, than recorked and further decanted for half an hour after 24 hours. CO2 and sweet NO, botrytised YES it seemed, also a pungent acidity (no malolactic?) which settled back with decanting. Very fat mouthfeel however.

Both only had 11.5% alcohol.

No ABV stated on the main label, maybe in a rear lable that in my bottle had not, though.

Probably the most original wine I've ever tasted. :smile:

Cheers,

Alberto

I opened it on December 31, tasted to detect problems, than recorked and further decanted for half an hour after 24 hours. CO2 and sweet NO, botrytised YES it seemed, also a pungent acidity (no malolactic?) which settled back with decanting. Very fat mouthfeel however.

I'm confused

are you saying it was botrytised, but not sweet?

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

I'm confused

Well Scott...the wine surely had some residual sugar, maybe around 2%, but its acidity was so high that it actually seemed drier. Or better, it wasn't a sweet wine but neither was dry. I've read that a degree of botrytis is an almost unavoidable happening in Loire Chenin Blanc; in this case I've found some honey and toast and a mixed dried fruit note (in both nose and palate) which can well be botrytis.

Again, the overall impression wasn't sweet. It has been my first taste of this wine so I can't say nothing in comparison with other vintages. :smile:

Cheers,

Alberto

I'm confused

Scott,

I remember tasting 1994 Corton-Charlemagne Coche-Dury and 1994 Montrachet Domaine de la Romanee Conti. Both wines included botrytis in the aroma profile, the result of late picking I presume. Neither was sweet.

Mark

Once more, back to the 1986 coulee:

Just went through my notes and realized that I also had it on one other occasion the year before (way to many wines that night). It showed completely different, rather dissapointing, and I only noted "kerosine, oxidation, old yeast". Strangely, that wine came in an antique bottle like the ones that coulee was bottled into in the sixties (like a Baileys bottle, for lack of better comparison). The wines were so different I never made the connection before...

Strangely, that wine came in an antique bottle like the ones that coulee was bottled into in the sixties (like a Baileys bottle, for lack of better comparison). The wines were so different I never made the connection before...

Yes, that was the shape of the bottle I had. Similar to those of Ruinart or Lauent Perrier rose Champagne. An extremely deep pupitre too.

Alberto