• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question for a rhône expert

ctgm

I had a bottle of 1978 CNDP, Domaine de Clos du Roy on the weekend, which whilst exhibiting an expected amount of age (too much) was still remarkably good drinking.

However I know nothing of the property and cannot find any information about it. I suppose that there is the possibility that it no longer exists.

It was a second label for Chateau Certan-Giraud, which was purchased by Christian Moueix around four or five years ago. The name has since been changed to Hosanna. While Certan-Giraud was historically a producer of solid, respectable wines, with Moueix' purchase and adjustments, the expectations are raised even higher. The first new production under his control, from what I've read - unfortunately no direct experience yet, seems to bear this out with the Hosanna from 99, 00, and 01 all getting exceptional reviews (e.g., Parker scores ranging from 90 up to 96 for the 2001).

The vineyard is in the Pomerol AC in Bordeaux, near Petrus, Certan-de-May, and Vieus-Chateau-Certan. Some of the recent changes have reduced the vineyard to the prime vines, covering about 10 acres and consisting of 70% Merlot and 30% Cabernet Franc. Production has been reduced to about 1,500 cases. THe prices have been rising accordingly and this is seen as one of the hot vineyards to watch in Pomerol.

Knowledge is good.

I am confused about this post. The original question was regarding a Chateauneuf-du-pape and the response was regarding Pomerol. Now I know at one time syrah got snuck into Bordeaux but that was hundreds of years ago.......

Edited by Carema (log)

over it

I am confused about this post. The original question was regarding a Chateauneuf-du-pape and the response was regarding Pomerol.  Now I know at one time syrah got snuck into Bordeaux but that was hundreds of years ago.......

Clos du Roy is a fairly common name. There is also a wonderful Sancerre by the same name made by Lucien Crochet. Roy , of course means king (pronounced "rwah").

Mark

I am confused about this post. The original question was regarding a Chateauneuf-du-pape and the response was regarding Pomerol.  Now I know at one time syrah got snuck into Bordeaux but that was hundreds of years ago.......

Clos du Roy is a fairly common name. There is also a wonderful Sancerre by the same name made by Lucien Crochet. Roy , of course means king (pronounced "rwah").

Clos is also fairly common meaning a walled vineyard or a vineyard once enclosed by a wall. It is pronounced clo (long 'o') :laugh:

Kings liked fortresses and walls. It allowed them time to have children with their sisters and cousins then bleed to death due to hemophilia. The wine simply thinned their allready ailing blood.

I believe too, there are some Clos de Rois in beaune and Aloxe Corton if I am not mistaken.

over it

As long as we're talking apples, oranges, Pomerol, etc. in response to a Chateauneuf question, I thought I'd add more confusion.

The firm of Guy Mousset made a Clos du Roi wine back in the 1970s. I am not sure if they sold that vineyard or what, but can tell you the Chateau Gigonan today makes a Chateauneuf-du-Pape known as Clos du Roi .

Whether or not they're the same vines, I cannot determine at this time.

I was in Chateauneuf earlier in the year and had the chance to taste some wines from the 1978 vintage. Certainly they are "old" and a nice bit of history, too.

In my haste to indulge in some quick eGullet this morning (while beseiged like a wall-less king in my office), I completely ignored the "CNDP" in the original post.

In the word of Emily Littela, "Nevermind."

:blush:

Knowledge is good.