• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
AzRaeL

Favourite Cheese

1 minute ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I could be happy with some of these cheeses from California artisan producers and certainly as well with the same from Vermont and New York.  

Can't say I have tried Stateside interpretations - but I would be curious as to how they compare.

I still have fond memories of traveling to France with my (then) 75 year old grandmother and taking a large empty tupperware container with us, only to return with it filled to the brim with vac packed cheesy goodness!  Reblochon, Tomme, Epoisses, Brie de Meaux....oh how I love thee, let me count the ways!

• Like 1

My cheese intro was in Corsica as a young teen - brocciu - sold by a sheepherd going door to door. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brocciu  My  Viennese friend was into the chesnut leaf wrapped  cheese - (Banon) I did not quite warm up to that though today I would enjoy. When your experience is plastic American singles there is an acceptance curve. https://www.cheese.com/banon/

Edited by heidih (log)

Corsican cheese is an amazing thing.    I bought a round in May in Paris, telling the seller that I wanted to eat it a month later.   He found me a green piece and told me to remove the cryovac when I got home.   Done.   But didn't use it as planned, unwrapped the inner paper several months later to find the herbal cover pretty skanky.    Washed it off in warm water,  dried well and coated with cracked pepper.   Rewrapped in paper and finally served at a dinner party at the end of September.    One guest, a cheese buyer,went bananas over it.   We sent the remaining half round home with him.    He was immediately leaving the country and only this week wrote to say that he was again home, had pulled out this cheese and had a fabulous time with it.    This 6 months after I bought it, and i have no reason to think that this guy was blowing smoke....

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

Sign in to follow this