• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Cheese

AzRaeL

Any triple-cream cheese from Normandy

Long aged (>12m) manchego

Maytag blue or similar

I don't go so much for soft goat cheeses; I much prefer the less-common aged varieties, like Le Chevrot and its older cousins.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Which 3 I couldn't do without is much different than which I enjoy the most. There are some that I use so often that they'd have to be the ones I can't do without. But they'd be very different maybe from the three I'd choose as my last three bites of cheese before execution.

3 I use the most:

parmegiano reggiano

feta

gorgonzola

3 I would want a bite of before execution:

gouda aged 4+ years (probably what tommy referred to)

emmentaler

Montgomery cheddar

Oh, man! This is like asking which are my three favorite limbs! Or which are my three favorite fingers!

The right arm or -- to switch to the finger metaphor -- the opposable thumb of cheeses for me would have to be parmigiano regiano. I always have this around and use it daily. Pastas, gratins, croutons, breading; I even spread it grated with cream cheese on toast for a snack.

A really nice cheddar like Neal's Yard. Melts well and perfect for grilled cheese sandwiches. But this would have to be tied with Gruyere.

Some kind of blue: gorgonzola, roquefort, Point Reyes or even Maytag.

But what about snacking cheeses? Morbier. Gouda. This is too hard! It's making me crazy! Fortunately I don't actually have to choose just three.

What Jinmyo said. What SuzanneF said. What FistFullaRoux said.

Squeat

PS Suzanne, isn't that Red Hawk something?

1. Parmigiano reggiano stagionata

2. gorgonzola piccante

3. see number 1.

I second Craig's choices, adding four of my own:

4. Pecorino delle Marche (semisoft young sheep's milk cheese)

5. Burrata (fresh mozzarella "sack" enclosing a semi-formed filata cheese made with cream)

6. Shropshire Blue (like Stilton on steroids)

7. Epoisse (king of the illegal raw milk cheeses)

--

Heyyy...

Where's the Velveeta?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1. What are my most indispensable cheeses (the ones I use the most for cooking)?

a. Parmagiana-Reggiano

b. Gruyere

c. Crottin

2. What are my favorite cheeses (purely by taste)?

a. Brillat-Savarin

b. Roquefort

c. Manchego

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I'm a pure addict. I buy no less than six or eight different kinds a week and have yet to meet a cheese I don't love.

I have a map of where I live with every cheese store marked.

I get some fo the cheesemongers to e-mail me when they have made special batches.

I think melted cheese flows in my veins.

am i the only one who likes Cambozola?

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Which 3 I couldn't do without is much different than which I enjoy the most. There are some that I use so often that they'd have to be the ones I can't do without. But they'd be very different maybe from the three I'd choose as my last three bites of cheese before execution.

Are you sure you'd want to eat cheese or be thinking about cheese at that point? :shock:

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm not familiar with it. I'm guessing it's Italian. What region and what creature's milk?

German Blue Cheese.

It's a cross between Camembert and Gorgonzola

hence the name Cambozola

cambozola.jpg

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Which 3 I couldn't do without is much different than which I enjoy the most.  There are some that I use so often that they'd have to be the ones I can't do without.  But they'd be very different maybe from the three I'd choose as my last three bites of cheese before execution.

Are you sure you'd want to eat cheese or be thinking about cheese at that point? :shock:

Most certainly. Maybe some cheese, a granny smith, some dried cherries, and roasted hazelnuts. And a big bowl of ice cream. That'd be the dairy part of my last meal. And lactose intolerance be damned. If the execution scares the shit out of me, that's just my little present to those who killed me.

Edited by ExtraMSG (log)

How does it compare to Saga Blue? That was one of my favorites when I first found it. Uh, oh, I guess I AM fickle. Just give me real cheese, and I'm happy.

http://www.thebigcheeseinc.com/bigcheese/s...etail&ProdID=35

This Bavarian cousin to Saga Blue combines a very creamy cheese base, the saltiness provided by the blue-veining.