• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Three hours at Granville market-what would you do?

kimabima

I am looking forward to spending a morning by myself at Granville market. I'd like to have breakfast and lunch there and browse around. What would you do there if you had that kind of time? What would you buy to take home? (I live in Victoria). Thanks for your ideas!

I think I would go to Oyama Sausage and buy outrageous amounts of deli meats, whatever looks good, and then proceed to sample all of it. Take the rest home. It's all totally great.

Terra Breads is pretty good.

I mostly go down there for the meat though.

Allow me to re phrase the question-"what to do with 3 hours on Granville Island".

I say that because there is so much more to GI than just the market.

So for Brekkie I'd have a hot chocolate from the Blue Parrot, a scone from Terra Breads and a piece of fruit from one of the vendors then go outside and have a very leisurely time slowly watching the city come to life (making sure to greet one of the pairs of Basset Hounds who are often in attendance).

Then I'd start a circumnavigation of the Island making sure to check out every tiny lane and alley and have a stroll along the shaded boardwalk on the South Side behind the tennis courts.

After your perambulation you have 2 choices--return to the market for a lunch of smoked Chum Salmon/veggie salad from a deli and more bread from Terra or a plate of fried fish @ the Café right at the entrance the name of which escapes me.

When are you going to Granville Island? I posted a thread about Terra Breads but I still haven't tried them yet. Looking forward to your recommendations! :smile: Oyama sausages are indeed super tasty. :smile:

There are a lot of bakeries inside the market. I would do a trip around the market first and see what catches your eye before committing to breakfast and lunch. I always buy the first thing that looks good, eat it, and then lament the fact that I didn't take the time to look around, as there ALWAYS appears to be something even tastier just around the corner....

...or maybe I'm just too damn greedy. :laugh:

I always enjoy a bowl of soup from the Stock Market. There soups are always made the right way from freshly made stocks and great vegetables. The chef/owner and his wife have had restaurants in the past both of which I loved, Chef et se Femme and Gucheez.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I'd start with a coffee from JJ Beans or tea from Granville Island tea and then choose breakfast. Some of my breakfast favourites are apple foccacia or grape bread from Terra, a donut from Lee's Donuts, or hot cereal from the Stock Market. Then I'd do a quick tour of the market to see what day vendors are in that day.

Before I shop in the market, I usually take a tour through Circle Craft, Crafthouse, the Wood Co-op and the Potter's Guild to see their gallery shows and check out the latest offerings. Then I amble around the rest of the artisan studios scattered around the Island and back to the market to do my shopping.

If you are not familiar with the Island pick up a map at the information centre just past Kid's Only Market on Cartwright Street. Many of the Island shops also have Island maps. Aside from lots of crafts and artisans, there's a bunch of boat stuff to look at on the Island, a brewery, the aforementioned Kid's Only Market, an Art College, Opus Frames, theatres, restaurtants and various other shops that may be of greater or lesser interest to you.

At the Public Market, as many have noted, Oyama sausage has an incredible array of cured meat and sausages, as well as some cheese, that must be checked out and sampled if possible. Terra Breads is great and check out the day vendors for seasonal offerings. I'd take a walk or drive down to 2nd and Burrard and check out les amis du fromage if you are really into cheese.

For lunch the Stock Market is my pick, they always have 3 soups available. Usually though I take my groceries home and make lunch from my market finds. There are restaurtants on the Island but nothing to really get excited about. The restaurant at the Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts, just off the entrance of the Island might be worth checking out. I'm not sure if it is open for lunch or just for dinner.

Cheers, Barolo

Cheers,

Anne

Thanks for all the idreas!! Apple foccacia-that sounds wonderful!

I have been to GM a few times. I always leave thinking I must have missed out on some cool stuff!

I know I want to buy some fish stock- does anyone really make their own?

I love cheese but have alot to learn about all the different kinds available. I don't eat alot of sausage but I am intrigued so will stop by Oyama's.

I love donuts-are Lee's betther than Tim Horton's???

I have heard the Tea place is adorable-small with very friendly staff.

I adore both coffee and tea so what to do???

have both and knwo where the washroom is located! :biggrin:

Thank you Barolo for your Island suggestions. It's enough to get me thinking of heading down there right now, & picking up some sausages & cheese for lunch! It's been too long since my last trip. Maybe I'll also pick up some seafood for dinner & fixings for salad & some Terra bread.....&......