• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mycryo

Patrice

Why are these books so DARN expensive???? :angry:  :blink:

1) Many full color photos = high production costs

2) Very small professional market compaired to consumer-focused books.

If it helps at all, I've looked through the book a bit and I would consider buying it even if I weren't interested in Mycryo. Lots of nice looking stuff and diverse recipes for both full-size cakes and plated desserts from two reputable chefs. It is a bit small and short for the price, though. In the same range I'd much rather have Fredric Bau's or Pierre Herme's books.

If it helps at all, I've looked through the book a bit and I would consider buying it even if I weren't interested in Mycryo. Lots of nice looking stuff and diverse recipes for both full-size cakes and plated desserts from two reputable chefs. It is a bit small and short for the price, though. In the same range I'd much rather have Fredric Bau's or Pierre Herme's books.

and the cd-rom has lots of video demonstrating techniques. but i agree with neil, i'd rather spend the money on a bigger prettier book.

i don't see any real benefit in using mycryo over regular cocoa butter for tempering chocolate? doesn't regular cocoa butter cost less?

i don't see any real benefit in using mycryo over regular cocoa butter for tempering chocolate?  doesn't regular cocoa butter cost less?

I don't have a lot of experience with mycryo but honestly, I thought it didn't yield a nice result as far as tempering chocolate is concerned. I've heard that others have said the same.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I use it to help "firm" up some of my desserts that need to be unmolded cleanly. We also use it in tempering. The first use is a benefit that i think really helps me out alot in the warmer months.

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

I've fooled with this stuff and just don't get it. I've got the book, make me an offer. I think it is regular cocoa butter, but it's been cryogenically treated, powdered, and steam deodorized. It does work for tempering chocolate, but it sets fast. I used it to make fruit mousses, settling on an ounce of mycryo for a pound of mousse, I think. I used a third pastry cream, a third whipped cream, and a third fruit puree. Some purees would make a better mousse than others. Blackcurrant worked very well, but passion or lemon needed to be made into a curd first. I finally got to use sheet gelatin, so I no longer need to frustrate myself with mycryo.

QUOTE(chefpeon @ Sep 18 2006, 06:27 PM)

Why are these books so DARN expensive???? angry.gif  blink.gif

Good point. But I WOULD forego the full color pics for a cheaper book.

I don't have a lot of experience with mycryo but honestly, I thought it didn't yield a nice result as far as tempering chocolate is concerned.

Well, I used it to temper today, and I kinda liked it. The thing I liked best is that I didn't have to mess with removing any "seed" chocolate.

I didn't realize it before I bought it, but it is a nice alternative to gelatin for my vegetarian clientele.

I'm anxious to try it in my mousses now. I'm also going to try sauteing with it just for fun. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(chefpeon @ Sep 18 2006, 06:27 PM)

Why are these books so DARN expensive???? angry.gif  blink.gif

Good point. But I WOULD forego the full color pics for a cheaper book.

I don't have a lot of experience with mycryo but honestly, I thought it didn't yield a nice result as far as tempering chocolate is concerned.

Well, I used it to temper today, and I kinda liked it. The thing I liked best is that I didn't have to mess with removing any "seed" chocolate.

I didn't realize it before I bought it, but it is a nice alternative to gelatin for my vegetarian clientele.

I'm anxious to try it in my mousses now. I'm also going to try sauteing with it just for fun. :biggrin:

This is so helpful. We were in Cataluyna recently and ate at the restaurant Fogony in Sort which recently received it's first Michelin star. The talented female chef was eager to share her recipes for our meal; I promised her a cook book from one of our favorite Basque chefs and in return for this, she presented me with a 3.3 lb tub of cacao butter mycryo. I was thrilled as she used the butter for many of her savory dishes. Now that I have ordered the expensive text from CHIPS, I found this reference on eGullet. Thanks so much for the discussion. I will certainly try the dessert ideas but I am most excited about using the "butter" in savory dishes. Thanks again. Has anyone tried it with meats, fish or any other savory dishes? Judith Gebhart

• 6 months later...
Anyone perfected anything with this product?

I use it when I am in a rush to temper a small amount (say about 10lbs) of chocolate at a time. The standard amount is 1% of the weight of the chocolate.

I have found that if your chocolate is heated to between 92-95F (no higher) and you mix in your mycyo really well, you can start using your chocolate right away.

Of course, as you go along, you still have to watch your temper and keep it at around 90 degrees. The first time I used it, I was absolutely amazed.

Good luck.... and if you need to order any, I can probably get it for you by the 1.5kg (3.3lb) box.

Best,

Linda Grishman

Vermontchocolate

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone,

I have been reading (and loving it) for a long time, but this is my first post!

I am very interested in trying mycryo, if it is stands up to its claim it would help me immensely in my annual Christmas chocolate-making.

However, I can only find it for sale in a huge 1 kg tub, which is way more than I will need to use in several years.

Does anyone know where I can buy a smaller amount (like 100gr - about 3oz)?

Thank you very much!

Sara

PM me your address and I'll send you some. I just bought a new container and it will take me forever to get through. It does work fantastically, I use my Mol D'art melter now for large amounts, but if I need to temper a small amount of chocolate I'll use Mycryo.

I second the 'scotsman.

From what I've heard from a person who worked in their classes, both Balaguer and Bajard both use Mycryo.

Keeping in mind that Balaguer endorses Cocoa Barry products, I'd like to believe that he finds it worth the while.

2317/5000

• 9 months later...

Has anyone used Mycryo as an ingredient for chocolate centres that require cocoa butter? A lot of my centres use cocoa butter to help firm the ganache. Normal Cacao Barry cocoa butter is close to double the price of Mycryo.

I was under the impression that Mycryo was just cocoa butter that had been treated so I don't understand why it is so much cheaper. Is it a suitable substitute for standard cocoa butter in ganache recipes?

Thanks for any help

Has anyone used Mycryo as an ingredient for chocolate centres that require cocoa butter? A lot of my centres use cocoa butter to help firm the ganache. Normal Cacao Barry cocoa butter is close to double the price of Mycryo.

I was under the impression that Mycryo was just cocoa butter that had been treated so I don't understand why it is so much cheaper. Is it a suitable substitute for standard cocoa butter in ganache recipes?

Thanks for any help

Where I buy cocoa butter - the pricing is the other way around. Mycryo is expensive and cocoa butter is much cheaper. I would use them interchangeably in centers.

Thanks Kerry - its the answer I was hoping for. Not only because the Mycryo is 1/2 the price but because its nice and easy to weight out. I don't have to cut off chunks of cocoa butter and then chop it into smaller pieces.

• 7 years later...

I find it doesn't mix in very well. I have a few bits left that look like sand. I suspect it might be older stock that has converted to beta 6, rather than 5.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Yes it works well, and the temper holds if you keep it in the temp zone.

But for me, it doesn't make sense.

Why?

To properly use it, you need to get your choc. at a very specific temp, which escapes me at the moment and then seed it with mycryo.

To temper choc without mycryo, you need to to get the couverture to a very specific temp (31 c) and then seed it with virgin couverture.

So why bother with mycro? The stuff is expensive and not necessary. What it is, is 100% cocoa butter that has gone through temperature changes.

Once you melt it, all the magical tempering qualities have gone. You can deepfry with regular cocoa butter..

I like it, you can even deep fry in it!

That's an expensive way to deep-fry...

Yes it works well, and the temper holds if you keep it in the temp zone.

But for me, it doesn't make sense.

Why?

To properly use it, you need to get your choc. at a very specific temp, which escapes me at the moment and then seed it with mycryo.

To temper choc without mycryo, you need to to get the couverture to a very specific temp (31 c) and then seed it with virgin couverture.

So why bother with mycro? The stuff is expensive and not necessary. What it is, is 100% cocoa butter that has gone through temperature changes.

Once you melt it, all the magical tempering qualities have gone. You can deepfry with regular cocoa butter..

The point is rather that it mixes in very fast, at a higher temperature (35°C), then you just agitate it until it gets down to working temperature.  Whenever I seed, I find that there are always lumps left over that need to be strained out...

Also, with Mycryo it's easy to temper a very small quantity of chocolate- you can quickly temper 100g if you just need some for a decoration.  Doing this by seeding is tricky.

I find it doesn't mix in very well. I have a few bits left that look like sand. I suspect it might be older stock that has converted to beta 6, rather than 5.

This may be the case, but I'm not sure - I've had this happen sometimes, but not others.  It could be that the molten chocolate is a little too cool when you seed it.  Francisco Migoya recommends blitzing it in with a stick blender, so that may be a solution.

• Like 2

The point is rather that it mixes in very fast, at a higher temperature (35°C), then you just agitate it until it gets down to working temperature.  Whenever I seed, I find that there are always lumps left over that need to be strained out...

Also, with Mycryo it's easy to temper a very small quantity of chocolate- you can quickly temper 100g if you just need some for a decoration.  Doing this by seeding is tricky.

This may be the case, but I'm not sure - I've had this happen sometimes, but not others.  It could be that the molten chocolate is a little too cool when you seed it.  Francisco Migoya recommends blitzing it in with a stick blender, so that may be a solution.

That's exactly my point.  How do you get the couverture to precisely 35 C?  It takes the same amount of effort and time to get the couverture to any precise temperature--31 C or 35 C.

I dunno... I've been seeding 20 kgs of each variety  (dark, milk, and white) every day with excellent results for almost 8 years now.  If there are lumps, I just fish them out with a dipping fork

I've got issues with stick blenders too. It's not a ruber spatula or a ladle that can been cleaned off, or let harden and then chip off excess cuverture.  The stick blender needs to be washed off, and at least 100 grams of chocolate will go down the drain.

• Like 1

I have used Mycryo quite often and found dissolving it rather difficult at times.  An immersion blender comes in handy, but Edward J's point about losing some chocolate is certainly true. I would add that washing the blender is a bit of a pain.  And no matter how hard one tries to avoid it, the blender introduces bubbles into the chocolate or ganache.  Eddy Van Damme suggests microplaning a block of cocoa butter, producing a finer-grained product (and less money spent for Mycryo).

The following is not an advertisement, but I recently acquired Kerry Beal's Eztemper machine that produces cocoa butter with exactly the right texture to mix in instantly with either melted chocolate or ganache.  It has an additional advantage that it can be added at a wider range of temperatures than those specified for Mycryo.  It also allows for using tempered chocolate at a higher temp, something that really helps when chocolate is becoming over-crystallized.  A few minutes ago I finished some pumpkin ganache.  In the past it has taken overnight to crystallize sufficiently; today it was ready within a few minutes of piping it into shells.  Yesterday I was working with Opalys white chocolate, and as usual, it thickened to the point that it was almost unworkable.  Having added the Eztemper cocoa butter "silk" to the bowl (just 0.5%), I was able to raise the working temp near 90F/32C and finished lining the molds (that temperature is well above what Valrhona recommends).  The machine is not inexpensive, but it improves the process of making chocolates to a remarkable degree.

• Like 5