• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Mojito

rumfront

Yeah - Nightscotsman pretty much has it covered unless you can get guarapo (real cane juice) instead of simple syrup. Muddle it up with the mint leaves (NOTE: there is a special variety of mint from Cuba called "Yerba Buena" that gives a true mojito it's unique flavor) and add fresh lime juice, generous pour of white rum, half a lime (needs the oils from the peel) and top with a splash of soda water. That's it.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Muddle it up with the mint leaves (NOTE: there is a special variety of mint from Cuba called "Yerba Buena" that gives a true mojito its unique flavor)...

Actually, I grow pots of it. You can buy it and grow it in pots that you take inside in the winter. If you leave it in the ground, it's been my experience that it freezes to the ground, although it comes back in the spring.

But if you want mojitos all winter long, you need to bring your pots inside.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Dear guys, since I was lucky enough to have the chance to go behind the bar al La Bodeguita and prepare a Mojito together with the resident bartenders, I'd just like to say that Mojito should NOT be prepared with sugar syrup , but with granulated white cane sugar, and since it's not like in the preparation of the caipirinha, it doesn't need the oils from the skin , but just the juice of the lime.

Cheers

Dom :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oho, Ben, so you only read Esquire for the recipes? :hmmm::wink:

Aren't basil and mint related? Or am I just thinking of Thai basil which tastes somewhat minty? That would give you a chance to Thai one on.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Even though I know I should have.

• 2 months later...

From the San Francisco Chronicle, July 31, 2003: The mojo in Mojitos casts its spell over a city

I've had the mojitos at Habana—the best.

Making mojitos at home, down and dirty, I've put the mint in the blender with the rum and strained through a gold coffee filter (I don't use it for coffee).

This is the most refreshing cocktail on earth, in my opinion.

I beleive the rum is owned by Pernod Ricard, as its an appropriation of the Havana Club logo, which is curently used in Cuba.

The Havana Club brand has been in contestation by Bacardi ever since their infrastructure was seized by the Cuban government in 1959 -- which is why Pernod Ricard is not using that name. Pernod Ricard distributes the cuban product in other countries. Theres a Havana Club gold rum owned by Bacardi which is sold in the US, but its an inferior product to the cuban one.

There are other "Mojito" flavored rums, such as Marti Mojito.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 months later...

Fresh mint, like most fresh herbs and spices, really brings this drink alive. There are as many different mojitos as there are bartenders. I've only had a couple that I wouldn't go back for a second one.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 1 month later...

Slowly but steadily "mojitos" have risen to the top of the "cool-ness" :cool: chain in NYC.

So has the density of "eye candy" quotient increased in the neuvo-latino and cuban bar/restaurants.

Just completed a informal survey of the mojito scene in the city -- Top of the heap is Son Cubano - with mojitos with mango flavor ? Then there is Fusion with vanilla flavored rum in the drink - Cafe Frida has cane juice -- Cuba Libre the weakest alcohol content.

Please add to your mojito discoveries here :biggrin: I'll add more observations later. :biggrin:

anil

Il Bagatto's bar makes good mojitos and caipirinhas. I also like to get mojitos at Casimir's bar (7 St. and Av. B), a cozy den which is much nicer since smoking in bars was prohibited, but I wish it stayed open past 1 A.M. At peak hours, Il Bagatto's bar can be kind of insane.

Michael aka "Pan"

She makes mojitos with shiso in addition to mint. Shiso, or perilla, is a relative of mint and basil. Ms. Kim's mojito is more herbal, less sweet and entirely smart. It's a cooler that has graduated to a cocktail. She puts coconut in her cosmos and ginger in her martinis — the Pacific Rim, right on the edge of your glass.

Speaking of fusion mojitos, there's an article on Asian fusion cocktails in this weekend's NYTimes DIGEST by William L. Hamilton. (You may have to scroll down for the appropriate link.)

Soba

The best Mojitos I've had in NYC were at Rialto (Elizabeth St. just South of Houston). It's the only place where they took the time to crush serious quantities of fresh mint and muddle all the lime juice from scratch. I haven't been in over year though, so no idea if it's still up to par.

Another good one was had recently at Rhone (Gansevoort St. between 10th/11th), fresh mint and not too sweet. My problem with most NYC Mojitos is the use of sour mix. To my taste this makes the drink too sweet, and the sour mix flavor interferes with the taste of mint and lime. Also, the lime juice should be fresh squeezed for a real Mojito. Most bars won't do this as the process is time-consuming and can really bog down a bartender if the bar is busy.

The late unlamented Nola had a pretty good Raspberry Mojito. And I had a very tasty drink called a Strawberry Mojito at Agozar. The only problem was that it wasn't really a mojito. :sad: Oh, it had the basic ingredients, but was buzzed in a blender to a sort of slush. I guess I'm just an old geezer, but I don't like it when drinks are so changed while being called by classic names. (No, I will not drink any martini other than one with gin and vermouth.)