• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Mojito

rumfront

I gather that most everyone is simply building their mojitos in the glass?

I usually muddle my mint and rum in a pyrex measureing cup (the 4 cup size) and then strain it into the glass over ice. I build the rest of the drink, then give it a turn in the shaker and add my seltzer. So kind of in the glass, kind of not.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

I don't see too many people speaking of muddling the limes.  Am I the only one?

I find the essential oils in lime peel are rather harsh and overpower the mint. The rum smash works well because lemon peel is more delicate. Lime juice is the way to go with mojitos. In a caiparinha, the sturdiness of the liquor stands up to lime essence.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

• 2 weeks later...

While at Harry's New York Bar in Paris, the barkeep there informed me that he had recently been to “La Bodegiuta del Medio”, and was informed that Angostura bitters were also added to the Mojito. I've tried this with nice results. I haven't been able to make myself try it with Fee's Mint bitters though, (perhaps tonight?).

I also like to use raw sugar cubes when muddling the mint and lime, so as to extact more oils. I guess the fact that I am adding a ton of mint makes the flavor still stand out.

The double strain is a nice method, as it makes the drink look better, and prevents the ladies from doing the "mint grin" after their first sip.

While at Harry's New York Bar in Paris, the barkeep there informed me that he had recently been to “La Bodegiuta del Medio”,  and was informed that Angostura bitters were also added to the Mojito. I've tried this with nice results. I haven't been able to make myself try it with Fee's Mint bitters though, (perhaps tonight?).

I also like to use raw sugar cubes when muddling the mint and lime, so as to extact more oils. I guess the fact that I am adding a ton of mint makes the flavor still stand out.

The double strain is a nice method, as it makes the drink look better, and prevents the ladies from doing the "mint grin" after their first sip.

PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE MINT BITTERS. They turn the best cocktails into mouthwash. Yikes!

PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE MINT BITTERS. They turn the best cocktails into mouthwash. Yikes!

:laugh:

OK - so are we saying there is no application on this green earth for which the mint bitters might be appropriate?? I was curious about the mint bitters (and the peach as well) and a mojito seemed like a no-brainer, but what were they designed for if not that? :huh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

...I was curious about the mint bitters (and the peach as well) and a mojito seemed like a no-brainer, but what were they designed for if not that?

I've found that Angostura is the best bitters to use in a Mojito.

While I've come up with a few cocktails that I think really use peach bitters well (they also work well dashed on top of a Bellini), I have yet to find what I would consider a good cocktail to be made from mint bitters.

Recently, at the "Tales of the Cocktail" event in New Orleans, I was on a "Bitters" panel, and in addition to discussing the value/benefit of bitters in cocktails, one of the panelists (a chef) prepared some dishes using bitters. Not only did she choose to use mint bitters, but several people in the audience shared stories where they used mint bitters in desserts and such.

But it might be interesting for somebody to see if a cocktail recipe could be worked up that properly uses mint bitters. It would be important to remember that just like you don't really 'taste' angostura bitters in a Manhattan, you don't necessarily need to (noticeably) taste mint in a cocktail that uses mint bitters. It should be a catalyst, an accent, not a specific flavor.

-Robert

Fee's mint bitters is one of those products that sounds like a great idea to most everyone who hears about it. But in practice, reception has been quite mixed. Some people enjoy it and others hate it. Overall, my impression is that most people fall into the latter camp.

Regardless, I'm not sure I like the idea of adding mint bitters to something that is already mint flavored. Similarly, I probably wouldn't add orange bitters to a cocktail that already had a strong orange note, Angostura to something with cinnamon, etc. I guess I feel that there's not much point to adding more of the same flavor because it's not adding any complexity. This is why I find a lot of modern "new school" cocktails uninteresting (e.g., orange vodka with orange liqueur, orange juice, an orange twist and, of course, a splash of cranberry juice).

So, for a Mojito, I'd much rather see a dash of some other bitters that complements rum. Angostura comes to mind, as does Fee's excellent aromatic bitters.

--

I confess I have yet to try the mint bitters a friend gave me.

Is it really so strongly flavored that it will turn any drink it is added to, to mouthwash?

In any case, I find it hard to believe that it is stronger flavored than Fernet Branca, which is most often utilized in combination with orange juice, Gin or Pastis.

Perhaps a drop of mint bitters would add an interesting note to cocktails made with those ingredients?

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I've just tried the mint bitters, and I have to agree with the Alchemist. Yikes!!! I enjoy using the other Fee's products, but what the hell were they thinking with their mint product!!!!

I normally use Angostura, and occasionally Fee's Aromatic in Mojitos and find that they seem to work.

On another note, I make a Spiced Bourbon Smash at work that utilizes the peach bitters quite nicely....

Crazy Thought but make your own mint bitters ( it is not that hard) if you want to use bitters in your Mojito. But really all you need is Mint, Brugal Silver rum, cane water and a splash of soda water.

Todd Thrasher

The Guy who says YES CHEF and Sometimes makes a cocktail or two.

Restaurant Eve

110 S. Pitt St.

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 706-0450

Eamonn's A Dublin Chipper

PX (Upstairs)

728 King Street

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 299-8384

I added some to a fresh lime juice, natural pomegranate juice, and simple syrup punch this evening and actually thought that the flavor of the bitters combined in an interesting way with the tart, slightly vegetable, pomegranate flavor.

Personally, I'm not sure what they were thinking with that bright neon green color. Certainly isn't natural. FDC Blue and Yellow, to be exact.

Trying them on their own, diluted in water, I hate to quibble; but, they don't really seem bitter to me. Just minty-fresh, or as Alchemist put it, pretty Listerine-like.

-Erik

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 2 weeks later...

I just did an experiment, on my mentor's sugesstion, to see the difference between cracked and crushed ice. The cracked ice, I belive it's called a Mojito -- I am going to spell this phoneticly instead of slaugherring it in spanish -- "Kre-yo-yo." What a difference. Neferious Dilution didn't raise his evil head. And it was beautiful, rustic, screaming "DRINK ME NOW!"

That's spelled: Mojito Criollo.

I always thought the difference between a regular Mojito and a Mojito Criollo is that the former is made with regular ice cubes and the latter is made with crushed ice. Yes?

--

That's spelled: Mojito Criollo.

I always thought the difference between a regular Mojito and a Mojito Criollo is that the former is made with regular ice cubes and the latter is made with crushed ice.  Yes?

I do belive you are corect. Is there a name for a cracked ice Mojito? If not I propose Mojito Clavar. I am taking some poetic licence, but I like that clavar sounds like cleve, and cleaver, and has a certin onomonopeic(SP) quality. Oh, Clavar means nailing.

I'M EDITING BECCAUSE I FORGOT TO ADD...

Have you heard of the Mojito called (this is not a joke) "The Beard" As I heard Castro likes his Mojitos toped with beer. I'm not sure what Cuban beer tastes like but I'v tried it with both Corona and Presidente, and it's not as bad as you'd think. I know that isn't the type of review to get ones saliva glands going into overdrive, maybe I should have tried Negro Modelo?

Edited by Alchemist (log)

• 6 months later...

Admin: Merged in from thread on sugar cane source in north jersey.

Classic, simply classic! LMAO!!!!!

One hint, I tried growing my own mint for mojitos. Just buy it in the store, it tastes the same. http://www.havana-club.com/english/home.htm Nice mojito demonstration. Got tho "bar" and click on the mojito on the countertop. I usually use the 3 yr old though.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Of course... Havana Club is unobtanium in the United States, unless you go across the border to Canada and smuggle some back.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

It's obtainable. ;)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

It is by far the best sipping rum of the HC's (excluding the 15yr old) but not good for mojitos. You need the HC3 for that or Silver.

I dunno, Rich. If I'm going to make a Mojito I'm going to use a rum that's suitable for a mixer, not one that I'm going to go through the trouble of smuggling into the US or buying through illicit means :laugh: . I only use my HC's (and my Cuban Matusalem Anejo Superior -- no longer in production, of which I only have 4 bottles left) for sipping.

Barrelito 2-star from Puerto Rico is a nice compromise if you can find it. The Matusalem Clasico and Platino from the Dominican Republic are also great mojito mixers. So is Montecristo Rum or Ron Botran (same distiller, Zacapaneca from Guatemala)

http://www.matusalem.com/home.html

http://www.montecristorum.com/

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Off topic but now that you mentioned the Cuban Matusalem have you ever tried the Mat 15yr old? I am rationing that myself ever since it's production stopped. I brought a bunch back from Havana and mowed through it.

Edited by richl2214 (log)