• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pho

DonRocks

Had the big bowl with fat brisket and eye round at Pho Hiep Hoa on University Blvd. in Wheaton this weekend. Most fragrant. But the coolest thing there are the two fish in the tank by the cash register: imagine the head of a large sardine grafted onto the forebody of a small carp grafted onto the tail section of an overweight eel. I hope they taste good, or their bile ducts cure psoriasis or something, otherwise that's one evolutionary pathway that's pretty much a total loss.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Al --

All the stuff you can't get at Eastern Market (where I assume you'll hunt down stock bones and the like), including pre-sliced pho meat and all the asian spices -- is available about four blocks from my house.  Feel free to drop by for a beer and we'll show you Mt. Pleasant's Vietnamese quarter....

Where is this little hidden treasure? Directions, please! :biggrin:

hmmm, which one did you get?

sometimes there is a little more well done brisket than i would like, and not enough of the rare stuff.

overall i'm happy though. well i kinda wish they would establish an extra large, because sometimes a large just isn't enough pho.

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

• 4 months later...

For a while, I was fairly certain that the only place to obtain Pho around Foggy Bottom was "Asian Bistro" on L street. How wrong I was.

On Monday The Froggy Bottom Pub of all places has the best Pho I've yet tasted. Granted, that's not that much Pho to compare against: I haven't been to 4 Sisters yet for example, but this was good stuff, I'm sure, by any standards. Apparently they do a brisk trade (Or just don't make enough!), as they were sold out by the time I got there last week with the friend who told me about it, and this past Monday they had but one bowl left, which the friend and I split along with an order of pork egg rolls. Sounds like they have one meat, which I'm pretty sure was round eye.

So, Froggy's Pho had everything going that a good bowl of Pho should, and is available all day Monday. Added bonus: fun absurdity of going at it sticks and bowls amidst a packed and somewhat rowdy house of Monday 'half price pizza and pitcher special night' -goers*! :raz:

* Not that they have the wrong idea nessesarily: Froggy has good pizza!

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

• 3 weeks later...
Had a large at Pho 75 in Rosslyn this morning.  Does anyone else think their bowls have too much meat?  It just seems out of balance.

I love pho. I have two favorite places, Pho 75 near Lohmann's plaza and the pho place right next to viet royal in the eden center. I think all the pho places I've been to give you way too much meat. When I go for tripe or tendon it doesn't seem as imbalanced. I wish they do less meat and more noodles.

BTW, why do a lot of vietnamese resturant names have numbers in them?