• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pho

DonRocks

Feel totally fulfilled and yet like you just wasted your whole day.

:huh: wasted? :huh: tu es folle!

Besides think of the leftovers, please won't someone think of the leftovers!

Making stock is never wasting time!!!!!!!

:biggrin:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Al --

All the stuff you can't get at Eastern Market (where I assume you'll hunt down stock bones and the like), including pre-sliced pho meat and all the asian spices -- is available about four blocks from my house.

I never noticed an asian market when I lived in Mt. Pleasant...sounds interesting.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the finished broth will need doctoring, certainly with fish sauce (nothing too harsh - something round and rich-tasting) and maybe some sugar, depending on the sweetness of the daikon you used. Be forewarned that your entire home, and the entire floor of your building if you live in an apartment, will smell like pho. Not that that's a bad thing.

Edit: no, the brisket's for Sunday's project, which is, like, the diametric opposite of yesterdays.

Edited by eunny jang (log)

Edit: no, the brisket's for Sunday's project, which is, like, the diametric opposite of yesterdays.

Sounds interesting...lets hear about it

Where did you end up getting your brisket? I am planning on smoking one soon and will need to find a source myself.

Edited by mdt (log)
Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

I had some delicious Pho yesterday in Boston.

Thinking about trying out that recipe, though. Sounds like a fun day's worth.

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

I never noticed an asian market when I lived in Mt. Pleasant...sounds interesting.

It may technically be in Columbia Heights, but since I like it, I claim it for my side of the 'hood. There are two, about three doors apart, on Park Road between 14th and 16th -- if you remember the Waffle House and the Kantouri Fried Chicken places, they are right near there. Pretty good selections for corner stores, and just fun to walk through (though the block is grim and menacig even by my low standards) -- odd vegetables and Asian cuts of meat, duck and quail eggs by the score, packaged pho spice if you don't have seven hours....

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Thinking about trying out that recipe, though.  Sounds like a fun day's worth.

It was an interesting project, but I don't know that I'd do it again, though I suppose with cubes of pho demiglace :laugh: and appropriate meat in the freezer, one could keep a supply of "instant pho" around. Hmmm. Must think about this.

The broth is VERY gelatinous (to be expected, I guess) - the Gladware I chilled the leftovers in is a giant, quivering mass of jelly right now.

It may technically be in Columbia Heights, but since I like it, I claim it for my side of the 'hood. There are two, about three doors apart, on Park Road between 14th and 16th -- if you remember the Waffle House and the Kantouri Fried Chicken places, they are right near there.  Pretty good selections for corner stores, and just fun to walk through (though the block is grim and menacig even by my low standards) -- odd vegetables and Asian cuts of meat, duck and quail eggs by the score, packaged pho spice if you don't have seven hours....

I drive past it at least once a week and am amazed and a little freaked that you actually went in there. What about the Kantouri. I've always wanted to try it but value my safety more than dinner. I think my standards are probably as low as yours and that block is very sketchy.

It was an interesting project, but I don't know that I'd do it again, though I suppose with cubes of pho demiglace :laugh: and appropriate meat in the freezer, one could keep a supply of "instant pho" around.  Hmmm.  Must think about this.

I know what a burden it can be to have left over stock and would be willing to help out by taking some off of your hands if you need me to. :wink:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

ohhh... where? there are so many pho places in boston, i've been trying to find a little 'mom and pop' pho place in chinatown, but somehow always end up going to pho pasteur.....

• 2 weeks later...

If you're ever stuck in the hinterlands of Columbia, and it's a drizzly chilly blah kind of day, and you know you should go running but the trail is muddy and you can't bear the thought of the treadmill, and you're broke and worried about money and rent and school and you're tired of sending out resumes and reading Dear Abby makes you want to scream and baseball might as well be over for the season and bank robbery a la Bonnie and Clyde is starting to look like an appealing career

go to Pho Dat Thanh hiding on Snowden River Parkway. They have a long menu, but still manage to do pho very, very well - the exception to the rule that full-service Vietnamese places have pretty middling pho (i.e. Nam Viet in Cleveland Park). The room is tidily pretty (an overabundance of Corinthian columns suggests that the previous occupant was some sort of red sauce-white sauce Italian place). The service is really friendly. The pho is really tasty.

gallery_15769_29_1098735993.jpg

$5.25 for a giant bowl of Special Pho #1 - flank, brisket, fat brisket, bible tripe and soft tendon. Breathe in, breathe out. Aaaah.

Reading this thread yesterday prompted me to have my first pho of the fall last night for dinner. A (fairly) new Vietnamese place in Ashburn(what a strange thought) provided an OK version.

But I was so primed for it that it tasted as good as any version I have had.

Thanks to JPW for starting this thread and Eunny for posting pictures.

Bill Russell

It was an interesting project, but I don't know that I'd do it again, though I suppose with cubes of pho demiglace :laugh: and appropriate meat in the freezer, one could keep a supply of "instant pho" around. Hmmm. Must think about this.

The broth is VERY gelatinous (to be expected, I guess) - the Gladware I chilled the leftovers in is a giant, quivering mass of jelly right now.

In fact, I keep reduced pho stock in the freezer and it works astoundingly well.

If you're ever stuck in the hinterlands of Columbia, and it's a drizzly chilly blah kind of day, and you know you should go running but the trail is muddy and you can't bear the thought of the treadmill, and you're broke and worried about money and rent and school and you're tired of sending out resumes and reading Dear Abby makes you want to scream and baseball might as well be over for the season and bank robbery a la Bonnie and Clyde is starting to look like an appealing career

go to Pho Dat Thanh hiding on Snowden River Parkway.  They have a long menu, but still manage to do pho very, very well - the exception to the rule that full-service Vietnamese places have pretty middling pho (i.e. Nam Viet in Cleveland Park).  The room is tidily pretty (an overabundance of Corinthian columns suggests that the previous occupant was some sort of red sauce-white sauce Italian place).  The service is really friendly.  The pho is really tasty.   

$5.25 for a giant bowl of Special Pho #1 - flank, brisket, fat brisket, bible tripe and soft tendon.  Breathe in, breathe out.  Aaaah.

Eunny, we've not tried that one yet, but will definitely look for it the next time we're in Columbia...Have you been to An Loi? We frequently went there before they got pushed out of Wheaton due to the "expansion." Have only been there once or twice since they've been in Columbia, but we still enjoy the service and the pho. I believe it is also on Snowden River Pkwy, but I could very well be mistaken, since Columbia is like a maze to me. Hard to believe with all the "ethnic" restaurants in Wheaton, that there is no place to get Pho--it's a good thing I have a sister who lives in Columbia!

Eunny, we've not tried that one yet, but will definitely look for it the next time we're in Columbia...Have you been to An Loi? We frequently went there before they got pushed out of Wheaton due to the "expansion." Have only been there once or twice since they've been in Columbia, but we still enjoy the service and the pho. I believe it is also on Snowden River Pkwy, but I could very well be mistaken, since Columbia is like a maze to me. Hard to believe with all the "ethnic" restaurants in Wheaton, that there is no place to get Pho--it's a good thing I have a sister who lives in Columbia!

Was An Loi the pho shop across University Blvd. from Dusit and Matamoros? If so, grrrrr, that was a good spot. If not, there is still somewhere to get pho in Wheaton, hooray!

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Was An Loi the pho shop across University Blvd. from Dusit and Matamoros? If so, grrrrr, that was a good spot. If not, there is still somewhere to get pho in Wheaton, hooray!

There used to be a Vietnamese restaurant on Georgia, a block north of University (almost directly across from the old Roy Rogers). Sadly, it was really short-lived (I think it turned over in just a few months). Too bad, because it was also really pretty good.

Bring to me a bucket! Of pho!

There used to be a Vietnamese restaurant on Georgia, a block north of University (almost directly across from the old Roy Rogers). Sadly, it was really short-lived (I think it turned over in just a few months). Too bad, because it was also really pretty good.

Bring to me a bucket! Of pho!

I'm at home sick today, and now all I want is Pho-- :angry: Unless someone can think of a place that delivers....

Eunny, there were two Roy Rogers in Wheaton--the one on Georgia Ave, and the one that was IN Wheaton Plaza. That one, for those who reeaally remember old Wheaton, was where Farrell's used to be...("Farrells is fabulous fun for everone!")

Anyway, there is, I believe, still the one on University at Amherst that iamthestretch was referring to...will have to go check it out and report back. The old Roy's on Georgia converted to a Danny's recently, and now is in a state of deconstruction...for... who knows what will come next.

Anyway, there is, I believe, still the one on University at Amherst that iamthestretch was referring to...will have to go check it out and report back. The old Roy's on Georgia converted to a Danny's recently, and now is in a state of deconstruction...for... who knows what will come next.

The Shell next to that Danny's belongs to my dad :smile: Poor guy - he secretly loved Roy's, mourned their demise, and hates taking the time to sit down at the Korean place across Georgia to get lunch. Sometimes, he goes to the charcoal chicken place by the Sunny's Surplus...and shame, shame, he has been known to eat the hell out of some Chicken Basket :smile:

The Shell next to that Danny's belongs to my dad :smile: Poor guy - he secretly loved Roy's, mourned their demise, and hates taking the time to sit down at the Korean place across Georgia to get lunch. Sometimes, he goes to the charcoal chicken place by the Sunny's Surplus...and shame, shame, he has been known to eat the hell out of some Chicken Basket :smile:

Okay I am getting curious now... Never tried Pho and I'm game. Little Vietnamese Place in town that I'd forgotten about will have it I bet, but I am zeroing in on your recipe, Eunny. How much stock does one have at the end of the 8hrs? Pho Demiglace sounds outstanding!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com