• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pho

DonRocks

I had lunch at Pho Tay Ho a few weeks ago (on the recommendation of people here) and loved it. Perhaps even more significantly, I saw an application for a beverage license pasted on their window which seems highly unusual for a Pho house.

I had lunch at Pho Tay Ho a few weeks ago (on the recommendation of people here) and loved it.  Perhaps even more significantly, I saw an application for a beverage license pasted on their window which seems highly unusual for a Pho house.

I was scared to death that you were going to say you had breakfast there (but at the pho place near Low Man's). Some nice raw beef and all the rest...

Thank God our mighty forum host still has the energy to go to work. Thank God.

Edited by morela (log)

Well it was called Pho 75 but after visiting last week they've changed the number ... Pho 90 maybe? Either way it's right off of 29 in the shopping center with Chilis (or is it Chi Chi's? all the same to me!). Great pho - good lunch special of a summer or spring roll, regular bowl of beef/chicken/tofu pho, and a soda for something like $6.50.

11211 Lee Highway Suite A, Fairfax, VA

(703) 691-3010

As I said, I went last Friday night which was an equally sticky hot summer day - so while pho and summer don't go hand in hand I definitely understand your craving! :biggrin:

Thanks for the advice. I stopped in there on Friday night (FYI, it is now called Pho 29) to satisfy my craving and was not disappointed. We started with an order of spring rolls, which were surprisingly good. The Pho was pretty good, but not as good as I remember the Rosslyn Pho 75 being (in fairness, it has been 3 years since I have been to the Rosslyn Pho 75). However, since Pho 29 is only 5 minutes from my house, I will be making many return trips there.

By the way, the Vietnamese Iced Coffee is terrific! I have never had it before. Thanks to all for the recommendations.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food."

• 1 month later...

It's hot outside, my office is freezing, and my stomach feels puffy and uncomfortable from too much booze and fried chicken last night.

All excellent reasons to eat a big bowl of pho.

Who has the best down here in Alexandria (we're at Seminary and 395)? I wish I could take a long lunch and go to my tried-and-true spots in MD, but really want to try something around here. Should I drive to Seven Corners? I need salty, hot, fragrant, herb-y, beefy pho, people!

[Editor's note: Eunny, I merged this with an existing thread - hopefully, you'll find some of what you need here. Rocks.]

Edited by DonRocks (log)

Thanks for merging, Don.

Just got back from Pho Tay Ho in Bailey's Crossroads (which I really wish they'd rename PhoTayTo in deference to the Atkins thing). A broth fiend, I really liked the savory and not-too-well-defatted liquid (though it could have been hotter. Some of my eye-of-round just kind of stayed pink and started giving off a little scum in the rapidly-cooling broth). They were also awfully stingy with the bible tripe, which seems odd since I always thought tripe was cheaper than dirt. The rice noodles were good and fresh and springy, with none of the mushiness that comes from a vat of noodles idling too-long in tepid water. All in all, very good pho, and a nice little fix.

I was busy stuffing my face with enormous spoonfuls of meat when I looked up, at the jaw-almost-unhinged midpoint of a big bite of tendon and noodles, and saw someone I vaguely recognized as a DC eGullet-type. I couldn't for the life of me put a name (screen or otherwise) to the face, but I was positive I recognized this person - black shirt, cargo khakis. Or am I just seeing eG everywhere I go?

in the eden center...huang que i think it is called.  dont go to the 4 sisters place that is all written up about, this one is better.  it is in the center of the row perpendicular to the supermarket

I second that. We took my (Vietnamese) mom to the Eden Center once and she asked all the little old ladies where we should go. They all suggested we go here. Way better than anything else in the metro area IMHO (unless my mum is cooking, of course).

At the risk of making myself look like a fool, the Four Sisters place is actually named Huong Que.

I was busy stuffing my face with enormous spoonfuls of meat when I looked up, at the jaw-almost-unhinged midpoint of a big bite of tendon and noodles, and saw someone I vaguely recognized as a DC eGullet-type.  I couldn't for the life of me put a name (screen or otherwise) to the face, but I was positive I recognized this person - black shirt, cargo khakis.    Or am I just seeing eG everywhere I go?

Sounds like the official eG DCBBQ Club uniform to me... :laugh:

I was busy stuffing my face with enormous spoonfuls of meat when I looked up, at the jaw-almost-unhinged midpoint of a big bite of tendon and noodles, and saw someone I vaguely recognized as a DC eGullet-type. I couldn't for the life of me put a name (screen or otherwise) to the face, but I was positive I recognized this person - black shirt, cargo khakis. Or am I just seeing eG everywhere I go?

It must have been me, I am there every once in a while for lunch. There is another good Pho place in the Eden Center, which is not that far from Pho Tay Ho, but I cannot remember the name of the place.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

• 1 month later...

In the same strip mall as A&J.

Perfect for a crisp fall day, especially when greeted with the free and oh so ironic spring roll.

A velvety broth with the exact right amount of intensity (unbelievably not over-salty).

Brisket is a little bit chewy, but the eye of round is perfect. Loverly bean sprouts and basil. Will go back to try the meatballs, tripe, and tendon.

Why interesting enough to post on? - A big old smile on my face for a grand total of $5.72! (not including tip).

AAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

1327 Rockville Pike

just south of Woodmont Country Club.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Mmmmmmmmmm, Pho! I went to lunch at Pho Xe Lua Restaurant in the Eden Center today. I had not been there in a while and was pleased to see that they provide a plate of fresh thinly sliced onions along with the sprouts, lime, peppers, and basil.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

I was also at the Eden Center for lunch today. Fancy that. Pho was in the air, along with many scraggly pigeons.

(Has anyone ever had the beef blood sauteed with ginger and scallions? I keep getting really close to ordering it and then losing my bottle.)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

JPW, you are my new hero. I have driven by a number of times and always wondered. But too many bad Pho's have made me gun shy. This one is now at the top of the list.

If only I hadn't picked up crap from a diner tonight.......

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I didn't get my pho either. Ate some really bad crap at 11pm at Trio instead. The exact opposite of the pho-nomenal dinner I was hoping phor :sad:

Pho places have to close early. Do you think the ubiquitous ancient couple that seems to do the cooking in all of them are superheroes? The tiny little grandmothers bubbling the stockpots back there get tired early. That said, Pho Tay Ho in Bailey's Crossroads seems to be open till 9, sometimes 10. I wish someone would open an all-night pho joint, preferably next door to my apartment - imagine how packed that would bet at 2am.

Pho places must open at 9 a.m. and close at 8 p.m.  WHY?!  Why not, say, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.?  I Phocked up tonight.

Here's the good news---if you're willing to drive to the Western end of Annandale, you can get Pho from 6-midnight weekdays, 9-midnight weekends. We encountered Pho Hot last weekend when A&J Annandale proved to not open as early as we thought and we had some time constraints. The interior is large, cheerfully yellow, they have a small selection of appetizers, and the pho was very generously dosed with the meat. They also had a kid's pho with no onions, optional scallions, and some less challenging meats.

The broth was less redolent of star anise than we like, but it was overall a very acceptable bowl of pho.

Pho Hot

Edited by PollyG (log)

Here's the good news---if you're willing to drive to the Western end of Annandale, you can get Pho from 6-midnight weekdays, 9-midnight weekendsPho Hot

Thanks for the suggestion.

West Annandale. Metro ain't Metro 'til it's got the Western Annandale/Hot Pho stop. That would have to be the Orange line.

I would cab there before I had another bad Trios meal (which I haven't in sometime, thank you, Lord). Though, Trios is great inspiration to go running (away).

my pho

gallery_15769_29_1097243475.jpg

Exactly what I needed. Confidential to you pho naysayer out there, who insisted pho can't properly be made at home: It was awesome. Wish you had been there.

Although, in retrospect, it seems kind of silly to sweat over a cauldron of $20 worth of neckbone and oxtail (that's a LOT of neckbones) for eight hours when Pho 75 gives you a giant bowl of something that tastes just as good for $5.75 five minutes after you order it :blink:

Exactly what I needed.  Confidential to you pho naysayer out there, who insisted pho can't properly be made at home: It was awesome.  Wish you had been there.

Although, in retrospect, it seems kind of silly to sweat over a cauldron of $20 worth of neckbone and oxtail (that's a LOT of neckbones) for eight hours when Pho 75 gives you a giant bowl of something that tastes just as good for $5.75 five minutes after you order it  :blink:

How bout a recipe?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

How bout a recipe?

hmmm. 5lbs of neck or shin bones that look good and red inside (makes for lots of scum but I don't think I'd trust a bone that wasn't). Salt, sear (roast if you can't imagine beef stock without doing so). Boil with two gallons of water for a couple hours. Skim compulsively - there will be a disgusting raft of thick, solid foam that forms every ten minutes or so. Add two pounds of oxtail, three or four slices of star anise; a couple inches of ginger, smashed and sliced; two or three whole cloves; a stick of cinnamon; some whole peppercorns; one smallish daikon sliced up, and three onions, quartered. Simmer - not the slow bubble you'd do for clear stock, but a faster one (it doesn't matter if some fat gets amalgamated into the liquid). Cook for four or five or six or seven hours. Skim, strain and degrease.

Soak rice noodles till soft, arrange in a bowl with paper-thin slices of brisket (easier if you freeze first), white onion, and scallion. Pour boiling-hot broth over. Watch the brisket cook. Feel totally fulfilled and yet like you just wasted your whole day.

hmmm.  5lbs of neck or shin bones that look good and red inside (makes for lots of scum but I don't think I'd trust a bone that wasn't).  Salt, sear (roast if you can't imagine beef stock without doing so).  Boil with two gallons of water for a couple hours.  Skim compulsively - there will be a disgusting raft of thick, solid foam that forms every ten minutes or so.  Add two pounds of oxtail, three or four slices of star anise; a couple inches of ginger, smashed and sliced; two or three whole cloves; a stick of cinnamon; some whole peppercorns; one smallish daikon sliced up, and three onions, quartered.  Simmer - not the slow bubble you'd do for clear stock, but a faster one (it doesn't matter if some fat gets amalgamated into the liquid).  Cook for four or five or six or seven hours.  Skim, strain and degrease.

Soak rice noodles till soft, arrange in a bowl with paper-thin slices of brisket (easier if you freeze first), white onion, and scallion.  Pour boiling-hot broth over.  Watch the brisket cook.  Feel totally fulfilled and yet like you just wasted your whole day.

Awesome-- I now have my Sunday project! Thanks!

-- A.B.

Al --

All the stuff you can't get at Eastern Market (where I assume you'll hunt down stock bones and the like), including pre-sliced pho meat and all the asian spices -- is available about four blocks from my house. Feel free to drop by for a beer and we'll show you Mt. Pleasant's Vietnamese quarter....

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Al --

All the stuff you can't get at Eastern Market (where I assume you'll hunt down stock bones and the like), including pre-sliced pho meat and all the asian spices -- is available about four blocks from my house.  Feel free to drop by for a beer and we'll show you Mt. Pleasant's Vietnamese quarter....

Pho shizzle!

-- A.B.