• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving soups

ludja

That old Italian classic Tortellini in Brodo maybe? Just wonderful if you have spent the time on making a great broth.

Broccoli and Blue Cheese, Oyster and Saffron, Celeriac and Walnut are soups I have enjoyed this winter, but think of some other old favourites like Potage St Germaine or Vichyssoise. None of these are over-the-top rich or filling.

a nice, helpful discussion here on various Thanksgiving soup options ... In reading them over again, I myself found some new and highly interesting options:

RICH TOMATO ORANGE SOUP

turkey consomme garnished with small almond dumplings

Roasted Pumpkin

Butternut squash with sauteed leek and chicken broth

pumpkin/sweet potato puree style soup in a chicken or turkey stock base

OYSTER AND ARTICHOKE SOUP

tons of great pumpkin soup ideas here at eGullet

butternut squash soup eGullet discussion

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The Butternut Squash and Chestnut soup I made for a Roast Goose dinner party several years ago was excellent. I just made a standard pureed squash soup after adding some unsweetened chestnut puree and garnished it with a drizzle of pumpkin seed oil and toasted pumpkin seeds. Easy and very delicious.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Turkey broth with lots of diced veg

If you are upmarket you can make a sophisticated version as a clarified consomme, with sherry, and a nice garnish - maybe a royale or cubes of butternut custard, or julienne...

On Consomme: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=26540

Big list of consomme names: http://www.egullet.com/imgs/egci/consomme/consommenames.html

Consomme Esterel seems suitable

Last year I made a soup which may not be considered classically traditional for Thanksgivng in most parts of the country but which I think worked well--cream of green chile soup.

Partially, I made it as a nod to a guest from New Mexico but I also liked that it used a traditinanl "new world" food although not one that the Pilgrims had access to! I served it in small portions since it is a cream-based soup before a huge meal. It works well in small portions because the soup is very flavorful.

While I do like squash and pumpkin soups I don't like to serve them before Thanksgiving dinner as I have a squash or sweet potato sidedish with the turkey and often serve sweet potato pie as one of the desserts. I'm not sure I would like to start off with sweetness either although the chilled pear soup that dockhl mentions above sounds good. Chilled soup is an interesting idea--one less burner to use on the stove and somehow chilled soups seems lighter on the palate. I also prefer to typically have a lighter bodied soup, my cream of green chile example above notwithstanding!

edited to add: This thread brings me back in time. I found eGullet while googling for some soup recipes a week before Thanksgiving that year. I joined up and started this thread as my first post!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I'm not sure I would like to start off with sweetness either although the chilled pear soup that dockhl mentions above sounds good.  Chilled soup is an interesting idea--one less  burner to use on the stove and somehow chilled soups seems lighter on the palate.  I also prefer to typically have a lighter bodied soup, my cream of green chile example above notwithstanding!

ludja~

I agree about the sweetness, which is why the pear-celery one esp sounds good. Do you have a cream of chile recipe? I , too, don't like the repetition of the squash soup/rest of dinner thing.

In CA, our Thanksgivings are almost always warm so having a cool soup sounds appealing to me !

Update: We've gone with a curried cauliflower and apple soup from Daniel Boulud <clickety>. I realize it has a cup of cream, so it's not *quite* as light as I was looking for, but otherwise it's a winner for my starter criteria. Daniel does good soup, though.

The introduction suggests a possible lobster/shrimp topping that can easily be added to serve too - that's a maybe.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Am in the process of planning the Thanksgiving menu, and need some new ideas.  We've been stuck in a rut of butternut-squash and chunky chowder soups for the past several years, and folks always groan about filling up too much on a rich soup before the big meal.  (Of course, the idea of just not having the soup course also met with serious disapproval from opposing camps in the Soup Wars.)

So I'm trying to think of an interesting soup that will make everyone happy.  Like a soup with...

...mostly vegetables

...some kick to it

...not too heavy - enough to whet people's appetites, but not so they fill up before dinner

...make-ahead to reduce stress on T-Day

Ideas?  Help!

I'm posting a recipe for Indian River Consomme, which meets every one of your requirements!

Here it is, a tomato-beef broth-onion-orange-lemon-vermouth-basil EASY

Edited by ruthcooks (log)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

This is an outstanding soup. I used one yellow and one red pepper, upped the garlic, and subbed a 4 oz can of mild green chilies along with some Cajun hot sauce for the canned chipotle pepper:

Yellow Pepper Soup

http://www.recipezaar.com/22104

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.