• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

favorite Paris cafes

Meow-Mix

What are you favorite cafes in Paris?

There's an interesting question. Over the years I've developed a fondness for many places and then never returned again because the cafe changed, or I've changed and the cafe reminded me too much of a time in my life I've lost. When I first visited Paris when I was still a student, I was eager to grasp as much as I could of Europe and its culture. I couldn't experience enough, nor could I do it fast enough. Today, I'm a jaded traveler with little interest in getting the most out of a trip. Nevertheless, forty years ago I could sit alone, or with friends in cafe for hours with the sense I was doing something significant and important. I was, I suppose, bonding with the locals and even more with the centuries of anglophone tourists who had written about sitting in cafes in Paris. Oddly enough, today I'm far less inclined to sit for a time in a cafe and watch the world go by than I was then and we rarely stop in a cafe unless we're meeting someone. Perhaps I'm neglecting to factor in the need on a student budget of amortizing the price of a cup of coffee or a draft beer over a period of time to get my money's worth.

I like les Editeurs near the carrefour de l'Odeon. David Bizer, an eGullet member introduced us to it last year and we happened to be staying not far from it on our last trip, so we used it a few times. There's a rather plush interior and just a row of chairs one table deep that take up about half of a rather narrow sidewalk.

I generally like the large brasserie cafes, but I prefer the more anonymous ones in less toursity areas than the more famous ones such as Deux Magots or des Flores. As I try to form an picture of one I've liked, I realize I'm not thinking of Paris at all, but of a place in Bordeaux, Toulouse or some other French city where things don't change as fast as they do in Paris.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Most cafés in Paris are my favorites. Cafés are the quintissential culture of Paris. We don't have anything like that here in the US. There is something very soothing to the soul about sitting facing the street, watching the world go by, makes you feel that you have nary a care in the world.

And I agree with Bux, the best ones are the anonymous ones, you really do not need Deux Magots or Cafe de Flore to have a great cafe experience. And yes, whether its in the "campagne", facing a quiet square or a river, or on the hectic Place des Vosges in Paris, cafes are always great!!

It will be interesting to watch what (if any) effect Starbucks will have on French cafe habits. ...the "grab and go" vs "I own this table for the day." Perhaps the reception will be like that of McDonalds.

I understand that [ostongs on French chat rooms has been quite accepting of Starbucks. I am surprised.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
I hope Starbucks disappears from France.

They said the same about McDo's years ago, but that has stayed-- and with resounding success.

Starbucks market research tells them they will be unique, an actual "coffee-to-go" in a cup that doesn't spill in your lap or burn your hand. You will still be able to "own your table for the day" there, just like in the US. That feature probably accounts for their success in the US, their quasi-European style. My bet is that they will succeed in France.

I don't patronize McDo here or in France and I won't likely give much if any business to Starbucks, but they won't care. McDo is doing fine and untroubled by my international lack of interest. I can think of classic French town squares or plazas where McDo appears to be one of the best looking cafes and most inviting places to sit and watch the day go by. they have thorougly integrated themselves into the daily life of France largely as a place for students to hang out, but they appeal to a large group of people. Coca-cola has long been a popular drink in most of Europe. The world is getting smaller every day. It's hard to remember that Gap is American and Benetton, um ..., Italian?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.