• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corn Pudding Questions

Shawn

My grandmother's recipe (not from any book):

1/3 stick butter

1 or 2 cans Mitchells white niblet corn

1 tbsp flour

2 eggs , 1 c milk, 1.5 tbsp sugar

Butter a casserole, add corn, mix in the flour. In a separate bowl, beat eggs, add sugar and milk, mix and pour over corn. Dot with remaining butter; bake 30-45 min at 400 F until top is golden brown.

I haven't made it recently and haven't had many corn puddings, your mileage may vary but it's one to compare with other recipes you may find.

Since it's a custard I doubt that it reheats well.

Not exactly haute cuisine, but I got this from my Mom. I've made it for people from all over and they love it. In our house it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it!

CORN CASSEROLE

½ cup (1 stick) butter

17-oz. can corn with liquid*

17-oz. can creamed corn*

8 ½-oz. box Jiffy corn bread/muffin mix

2 eggs, slightly beaten

1 cup sour cream**

1 cup grated cheddar cheese**

*I have never seen a 17-oz. can of corn. I think they’re usually 15-16-oz. Works fine.

**Mom & I both usually use more than this of the sour cream and cheese.

Melt butter in a 9x13 dish. Add whole corn, creamed corn & corn bread mix. Gently mix with a fork. Add eggs and mix in with fork. Drop sour cream by tablespoons over the top of the corn mixture. Dunk them under a bit. Cover top with cheddar. Bake 20 to 30 minutes at 350, or until it is firm. Let cool slightly before serving or serve at room temp.

Happy Thanksgiving!

thanksgiving.jpg

Deb/maison rustique/Orange County, CA

Deb

Liberty, MO

I have been asked by a guest to make corn pudding with Thanksgiving dinner.  Does anyone have any good recipes they can steer me to?  Also, can it be made in advance and eaten at room temperature or reheated?

This is the best corn pudding recipe I have - it is more like a corn pudding souffle. It's delicious.

5 large eggs

2 cups frozen corn kernels thawed and drained on paper towels

1 package frozen cream style corn defrosted (I usually defrost both corns in the microwave)

1 1/4 cups whole milk

1 1/4 cups whipping cream

1/3 cup all purpose flour

1 tablespoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

Put rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter 8x8x2 baking dish (I use pyrex). Whisk eggs in large bowl to blend. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until well blended. Pour into prepared dish. Bake until top is golden brown and knife inserted into center comes out clean - about 1 hour and 10 minutes. That's it.

The recipe is best out of the oven (after a bit of rest - like 5-10 minutes). It's ok reheated - just ok. Takes so little work in my opnion that there's no reason it shouldn't be eaten at its best.

any of the recipes sent will probably be great...i've never gone to all that much trouble.....it's pretty much can't miss unless you drown it or dry it out....

the only thing missing that i would add to any of these recipes or any other i've seen is about a teaspoon(more or less...less may be better) of regular old yellow prepared mustard..... adds a little zing.....but don't add too much....

That Jiffy Mix recipe has been a favorite around here for a long time. I don't know where the original came from. The neat thing about it is that you can throw just about anything in there and it still works. We often add pickled jalapenos, use whatever kind of corn is hanging around, onion, delete the sour cream, whatever. I did see a trick on some thread here from a chef. For cheese in any kind of corn bread, you cube the cheese and let it dry out so that a bit of a skin forms on the cubes. Then you end up with these little pockets of melted cheese in the bread. My cheese always seemed to get "lost" in my cornbread. This works.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Here's another vote for the Jiffy recipe.

I did get a really fabulous recipe for corn pudding here on eGullet about a year ago, but misplaced it, and haven't had time to go searching. So if you're reading this, whoever it was that gave me that recipe, will you please identify yourself and post it again??? :biggrin:

In the meantime, I just keep reverting to my "old faithful," the Jiffy recipe, which my family loves. It's really good and so simple.

My "Jiffy" recipe is basically the same as the one given above, but I drain the can of corn kernels, and don't add cheese.

I've tried the cheese, but again, my crowd preferred it without. They just love that corn flavor unadorned.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Also, can it be made in advance and eaten at room temperature or reheated?

PS -- Like someone said, that Jiffy recipe is extremely versatile. You can do pretty much anything with it.

You most certainly can make it in advance and eat it room temperature. And I always make two pans so we can have some leftovers which we do indeed keep in the fridge and then reheat in the microwave. It works great.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I never thought of doing that but I suppose you could make a batch of just about any cornbread recipe in about the same proportion as a box of Jiffy. (I don't have any on hand to see what that is but I don't recall that it is as much as a typical 2-cups-of-cornmeal recipe. I also think of Jiffy as one of the sweeter and more cake-like types of cornbread so I would look for a recipe that includes flour and a fair amount of sugar. (My all cornmeal recipe has buttermilk, no flour, and only a tablespoon of sugar. I don't think that would come out the same.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose