• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NANZZA

BBhasin

Making small talk with my niece in Delhi I asked her what was the latest in the food scene.

Pat came the answer 'Nanzza'.

What the heck is that I enquired?

Here is how she described it.

Its a cross between a nan and a pizza. A nan is made the regular way in a tandoor(I forgot to ask her if its the traditional shape or rounded like a pizza).

Its then layered sparingly with peices of butter chicken, a little butter chicken sauce is then smeared on top. Finally its sprinked with mozzerella cheese and baked till the cheese melts. Behold your Nanzza is ready.

Thought I would share it with you.

Monica's going to be in delhi soon, maybe she will let us know what else is happenening there.

Prasad. You want to kitchen test this and let us know how it turns out? I would do it but I am extremely short staffed, with no free time

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

i will be in delhi next month too. i would say that i would check it out as well, but am not sure that i want to.

HA HA, Mongo, I can understand your sentiments, but you never know. Apparantly a lot of restaurants are doing it and it might be interesting.

Bombay Curry Company

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

Seems like you guyss want to pay top moola to fly back home in Dec - considered peak season

I'm going to be in India (Bangalore, Bombay, Ahmedabad) next month too, and yes the tickets (not easy to obtain even a couple of months ago) were definitely not cheap. Couldn't help it - we had to be there in Dec-Jan. :unsure:

Suman

Prasad. You want to kitchen test this and let us know how it turns out? I would do it but I am extremely short staffed, with no free time

I have done it before with names like roti tikka pizzas and lamb sausage kind of things. geographic situation made me pull it off the menu.

BTW Just like Nanzzas I still have NANWITCHES on the lunch menu.

Nanzzas came and went, at least in Bombay. Didn't get off the ground much, maybe they will after some time.

Suman,

Pease eat at Vishala restaurant in Ahmedabad.

In Bangalore go to Halle Mane restaurant (Village House) in Malleshwaram. :wub: , tell them you know me.

I will be in Bangalore 3rd week dec. onwards and not stop. Please come with your family and have dinner with me. Come to think of it, this offer is good for any egulleter, no coupons required.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

..... Come to think of it, this offer is good for any egulleter, no coupons required.

Hhmm !!! I'll be in Mumbai/Delhi from second week of Fen through last week of Feb - I'll love to get together with mumbaikers :smile:

anil

Nanzzas came and went, at least in Bombay. Didn't get off the ground much, maybe they will after some time.

Suman,

Pease eat at Vishala restaurant in Ahmedabad.

In Bangalore go to Halle Mane restaurant (Village House) in Malleshwaram. :wub: , tell them you know me.

I will be in Bangalore 3rd week dec. onwards and not stop. Please come with your family and have dinner with me. Come to think of it, this offer is good for any egulleter, no coupons required.

Hello Episure,

Thank you so much for your kind invitation and also your recommendation re. the restaurants (BTW, are you known as Episure everywhere you go? :biggrin: ) . Unfortunately, we'll be away from Bangalore after the 20th in order to attend a wedding (that's the reason we're visiting India during this peak season), we come back for a day then fly to Bombay and then Ahmedabad. We're in Ahmedabad only for a day. It's going to be SO hectic! We've got such huge families on both our sides that we can't fit them all in in a single visit. Would you believe I haven't eaten out in India in a long time - I long to, but our relatives want to cook for us(and we feel blessed to have so many people who shower us with such affection) - there just aren't enough meals during our 3-week stay in India to cover all our relatives and friends. Result? We end up eating between breakfast and brunch! You can imagine the result of that - weight gain!

However, I digress. I hope I can try out your recommendations. If there's any change of plans and we're in Blore after the 24th I'll PM you. I'll be in Dubai in Jan. - that's where I make up for the lack of eating out in India. It's going to be very difficult to stay away from eGullet, but I doubt I'll have the time to even gaze at the computer while in India. Merry Christmas and happy new year everyone!

Suman

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I cooked this once!

I had some Khameeri roti dough and kheema leftover and wanted to make a quick meal - I flattened out the dough (recipe from Prashad) and sprinkled the kheema on it sparingly. I dribbled a little oil over it, and cooked the whole thing together, pizza style (I usually cook my Naan on a pizza stone anyway, so it wasn't that big an innovation).

It turned out a little too crisp to roll, but I cut each roti into quarters and ate them like (somewhat crisp) pizza. It was pretty good. I'd avoid adding cheese to it though... To my mind it would be like adding cheese to a seafood pizza.

But now that I think about it, a paneer version of this could be really good.

Dinner Diaries - It's what's for dinner!

This is comming straight from the source ( am currently in delhi) tried the Nanzza at the Utopia Food Court in the Habitat Centre.

It was a nan, lightly smeared with a makhani(butter chicken) gravey. The nan is cooked first, not raw. Then it was topped with approx an ounce of finely chopped deboned tandoori chicken, sprinkled very lightly with some cheese and baked a bit in a salamander. When done it was sprinkled with a little chat masalla.

It was OK, defineltly not meaty enough for us ' foreigners' but it was was an interesting concept.

The famed Kakori kabab is next on the agenda as also a meal at the Moti Mahal new delhi, with Mono Jones who is also visiting.

Bombay Curry Company

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

• 3 weeks later...

was browsing msn India and read in food & entertainment that Nanzza was the creation of Chef Hemant Oberoi of Taj Mahal hotel Bombay.

While I could not determine authenticity I thought it pudent to add the info to the thread.

Bombay Curry Company

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia