• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

British Chef Visiting DC

Stephen Jackson

Morning all,

Well, in Easter, my wife and I, along with my mum and dad, will be visiting Washington for the first time.

Some of you may remember from my New York Reviews that, last February, we were all set for a 4-night stay in Washington when the big blizzard hit, forcing us to cancel several dinners and our hotel reservation. And I never got to see the 'Exorcist' stairs. Grrr.

So, we're going to try again. And this time, we need some help...

Firstly, I'm getting mouse-ache from looking up hotels, so some recommendations of nice places to stay would be most welcome. Price (unless it's totally ridiculous) is not really a concern, here, but comfort is. I imagine there's some nice boutique town-houses in DC, no? If not, any recommendations/warnings will be gladly received.

Secondly, we'll be in town for a few nights, and we'll need to be nourished! Last time I made a mistake (apparently) by trying to visit Red Sage. I hear it's not what it was. So, let's have a lovely long list of great eateries, from sandwich shops we simply mustn't miss, to the best tables in town, if you please.

One other thing, I forget the name of the restaurant where Steve Klc works. Are you still there? I have to try your desserts!!!

Thanks in advance,

Cheerio,

Stephen

Edited by Stephen Jackson (log)

Ready to order?

Er, yeah. What's a gralefrit?

Grapefruit.

And creme pot... pot rouge?

Portugaise. Tomato soup.

I'll have the gralefrit.

Just thought I'd bump this back up.

Firstly, I'm getting mouse-ache from looking up hotels, so some recommendations of nice places to stay would be most welcome. Price (unless it's totally ridiculous) is not really a concern, here, but comfort is. I imagine there's some nice boutique town-houses in DC, no? If not, any recommendations/warnings will be gladly received.

A friend of mine recently stayed at the Hotel Madera and enjoyed it. It's also the home of Firefly, which is well worth a visit.

Secondly, we'll be in town for a few nights, and we'll need to be nourished! Last time I made a mistake (apparently) by trying to visit Red Sage. I hear it's not what it was. So, let's have a lovely long list of great eateries, from sandwich shops we simply mustn't miss, to the best tables in town, if you please.

Your best bet is probably to scroll down through the threads here. From Matchbox to Nectar, minibar, Charlie Palmer Steak, Maestro, Citronelle and many points in between, there is some interesting cooking going on here.

One other thing, I forget the name of the restaurant where Steve Klc works. Are you still there? I have to try your desserts!!!

Klc's work can be found at Jaleo, Zaytinya, and Cafe Atlantico. Don't leave town without visiting one or more of them.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

For lunch you might try Teaism in Penn Quarter or Dupont Circle and Market Lunch at Eastern Market on Capitol Hill. Neither are fancy restaurants by any means, but good food that are worth experiencing.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Stephen,

Indeed there are many restaurant to recommend to you. The 2 best hotels in town seem to be the 4 Seasons in Georgetown and the Willard Intercontinental at 14th and Pennsylvania Ave. Close to the 4 Seasons, of course, is Citronelle. The best Philly Cheese Steak in Washington is available right across the street at George's Townhouse on the corner of 28th and M. The Willard is in the "Quarter". There are plenty of restaurants to visit. Go To Oceanaire at 12th and F for a grand cold seafood platter. Go to Tosca for the lobster risotto. Chinatown is not far away, go to Big Wong for live lobsters, live shrimp, live Dungeness crabs, live razor clams, live bass. Go to Bobby Van's for the 48 oz. Porterhouse steak. Go to Zaytinya for the dill shrimp, the lobster, the lamb shank, the pita. Avoid Red Sage.

Mark

If you're interested in channeling your inner hippie, the Tabard Inn, just around the corner from Dupont Circle is a fun hotel and its parlor, with antique furniture arranged around the fireplace, is one of the best places in the city to have a cocktail. The restaurant tends to fluctuate in quality but is, I've heard, on an upswing.

I second the steakhouse suggestion, it's one thing Americans do better than anyone. I'm partial to The Palm, more for the scene than the good -- if not exceptional -- beef. Very Washington.

Also, I'd suggest a night at the Cafe Atlantico Mini-Bar, which is great fun and, at times, stunningly good.

Washington also has probably the best Ethiopian restaurant scene in the country. If you've never tried it, you should. A current favorite is Addis Ababa. Very local, and a bit threadbare, but a classic ethnic place where you are certain to hear a lot more Amharic than English. It's also walking distance from three different nightlife neighborhoods, if you're in the mood to hit the clubs after dinner.

Citronelle is great.

And Trio's restaurant, 17th and Q, remains the only place I know where you can wash back a turkey club and fries with a bottle of Opus One.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Any of the Hotels run by the Kimpton Group, particularly the Monarch downtown are chic and comfortable. At the Monarch, you get a goldfish with the room.

While in that neighborhood, you can visit Zaytinya and Jaleo for Tapas. I like Zola a lot, if nothing more than the swank scene. The food is solid, and they have a nice wine list to boot.

Ella's and Matchbox for pizza are good. Mathbox has a neat little hamburger sampler as well.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Any of the Hotels run by the Kimpton Group, particularly the Monarch downtown are chic and comfortable. At the Monarch, you get a goldfish with the room.

That's the Hotel Monaco you're talking about, right? Poste is there too.

I like Klimton hotels too.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Any of the Hotels run by the Kimpton Group, particularly the Monarch downtown are chic and comfortable.  At the Monarch, you get a goldfish with the room.

He must be referring to the Hotel Monaco. That would be a great location for a visitor. The rooms are really nice as well-- with or without the complimentary goldfish.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Any of the Hotels run by the Kimpton Group, particularly the Monarch downtown are chic and comfortable.  At the Monarch, you get a goldfish with the room.

Kimpton. Monaco. Kimpton. Monaco. Repeat after me...

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

I like Klingon Hotels, too.

Mark

I like Klingon Hotels, too.

But that's another story, folks.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Marvellous. Thanks chaps. Looks like the Monaco (including live en-suite sushi bar) and at least, ooh, dozens of restaurants.

I booked to go to Zaytinya last time, so I think I shall do so again.

And I also had always wanted to do Red Sage (one of the first Modern American places we got to hear about over here in the UK) but from all the postings when I originally mentioned this, I shall steer well clear. Thanks for the heads-up.

And it looks like my father will simply adore CP Steak. The menu seems to be similar to Craft (NYC), which we visited in February, and which astonished us all.

Edited by Stephen Jackson (log)

Ready to order?

Grapefruit.

Portugaise. Tomato soup.

I'll have the gralefrit.

avoid georgetown altogether-no parking , no metro access, crummy food. if you'll be in town over a weekend, go to eastern market for lunch- it's what the locals do.it's accessible by metro and it's fun to do a walking tour of capital hill.

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

Well, I HAVE to do Georgetown at least once, a pilgrimage to the 'Exorcist' steps. Otherwise, I think it's your basic out-of-towner stuff: I'd like to see the Capitol, Pentagon, reflecting Pool, Kennedy's grave at Arlington etc.

And I rather fancy a few hours drinking good wine in an oak-panelled bar, eavesdropping on shady CIA-types. ;)

Ready to order?

Grapefruit.

Portugaise. Tomato soup.

I'll have the gralefrit.

the best way to do this is to take the blue line metro to rosslyn and walk across the key bridge. the "exorcist steps" are right at the key bridge and "m" street. go there after your arlington cemetery stop. don't know when easter is this year but y'all might be in town in time for cherry blossoms- a really cool sight!

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

Do not miss Obelisk or Maestro.

If you're referring to the obelisk that's the Washington Monument, I agree: don't miss it - that's the only one in this town that has had proper upkeep (though I strongly preferred it when it was draped with blue fabric).

If you're referring to the obelisk that's the Washington Monument, I agree: don't miss it - that's the only one in this town that has had proper upkeep (though I strongly preferred it when it was draped with blue fabric).

You can get a great view of the Washington Monument from the cafe on the top of the Hotel Washington on 15th St NE. Sadly the food there does not live up to the view.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Add another vote for Jaleo. It's fabulous. Tapas, fun, (noisy and crowded though) casual, good food, good sangria, and oh my that skewer of little grilled chorizo over garlic mashed potatoes is scrumptious.

You can get a great view of the Washington Monument from the cafe on the top of the Hotel Washington on 15th St NE. Sadly the food there does not live up to the view.

Check that avatar! All supahfly...

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Check that avatar! All supahfly...

:angry: I was going to say that!

Excellent, vengroff.